Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Becoming an LCSW - Is it worth it financially?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:02 pm
So I really want to be able to earn a nice living while helping people. I want a meaningful job like that.

However, it needs to make sense financially for me as well.

Ik that before a good few years I'd only earn peanuts. While I know being a therapist is not all abt the money, and I agree, I do need to make a decent living.

what would you tell me - should I not go into this field of work?

those of you already in that line - how long did it take till you saw yourself on steady solid ground, financially?

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:13 pm
Where do you live?

amother
Sapphire  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:13 pm
Sure! thats where our money goes..

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:14 pm
A successful private practice is both about your skills as a therapist and your confidence in yourself, ability to market, and business sense. Not everyone with a LCSW goes into private practice or is able to have a successful business.

I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. I have the skills and the knowledge. I have the disposition and am an excellent educator/counselor but I lack the business acumen. I would for an agency and get paid like that. Definitely not the same pay scale, but I would have a hard time charging someone for a missed appointment when their kid is sick, or charging them for information available on the internet, or if they didn’t see progress-I would feel I didn’t educate properly to motivate/implement the changes needed. You need to know yourself.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:15 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Sure! thats where our money goes..

I'm confused.. where does it go?

OlamChessed  

Post graduation. It depends where you live and how many years it takes you to get you clinical supervised hours - take for example ny state you need 2,000 straight clinical hours.
I am almost there I have 1,700 hours so far , and it took me 4 years I had 3 kids in between.
Its doable just takes a bit of time so if your okay earning not the best income for the short term it can be great long term.
Also I heard that mishpacha recently had an article about this, did anyone read it?

amother
  OP  

amother Garnet wrote:
Where do you live?

NYC

amother
  Sapphire  

amother OP wrote:
I'm confused.. where does it go?

We spend our money on therapy Wink

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:17 pm
OlamChessed wrote:
Post graduation. It depends where you live and how many years it takes you to get you clinical supervised hours - take for example ny state you need 2,000 straight clinical hours.
I am almost there I have 1,700 hours so far , and it took me 4 years I had 3 kids in between.
Its doable just takes a bit of time so if your okay earning not the best income for the short term it can be great long term.
Also I heard that mishpacha recently had an article about this, did anyone read it?

and how much did u end up earning until now?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
We spend our money on therapy Wink

heey ur guilt tripping me not to go into this field of work? Wink Wink

ye tell me abt it I've spent a whopping 100k on mine - in a year!

amother
  Sapphire

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
heey ur guilt tripping me not to go into this field of work? Wink Wink

ye tell me abt it I've spent a whopping 100k on mine - in a year!

No not at all. There's a need for good therapists!
I just wouldn't understand if it's not a good income

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:21 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
No not at all. There's a need for good therapists!
I just wouldn't understand if it's not a good income

wdym u wouldn't understand if its not a good income?

are u trying to say it instantly is?

OlamChessed  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
and how much did u end up earning until now?

30-40k a year. I work at a clinic

Last edited by OlamChessed on Mon, May 20 2024, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aster

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:25 pm
OP, how much is a good income to you?

I'm from the NY area, and most therapists I know are eligible for government programs because the salary is so low. Everyone wants to use insurance for therapy. Insurance pays pennies, and denies a lot so therapists are sometimes unpaid. Clients refuse to pay copays and deductibles. If you work for a clinic it's low salary, if you work on your own you are a business owner.

With hatzlacha,

Signed - a therapist who had to go back to school to get another degree and go into another field to be able to earn an income that got us off medicaid

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:27 pm
OlamChessed wrote:
30-40k

Oh my god thats nothing!!!!!!

how did u live???

how many hrs did u work?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:28 pm
amother Aster wrote:
OP, how much is a good income to you?

I'm from the NY area, and most therapists I know are eligible for government programs because the salary is so low. Everyone wants to use insurance for therapy. Insurance pays pennies, and denies a lot so therapists are sometimes unpaid. Clients refuse to pay copays and deductibles. If you work for a clinic it's low salary, if you work on your own you are a business owner.

With hatzlacha,

Signed - a therapist who had to go back to school to get another degree and go into another field to be able to earn an income that got us off medicaid

are u kidding me? another degree? so how do ppl actually work it out??

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:29 pm
I don't think it's worth it financially. I love what I do, I love the flexibility, I love helping people, but that's it. There are a few exceptionally expensive therapists, but most therapists are not billing that many hours a year at that high rates. And those that do often spend years working at lower salaries.

OlamChessed  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh my god thats nothing!!!!!!

how did u live???

how many hrs did u work?

I work part time and bh it has worked for my family. Smile everyone has different needs, priorities and standards. so for us it worked but it isn’t for everyone. I really have appreciated the flexibility and I love what I do it’s so meaningful bh. I think I really get the chiyus from those two things. Also It’s for the short term so 30-40k a year and then be”h you can build from there when you go private. Most but not all social work jobs with supervision are lower paying then full time w/o supervision.

Last edited by OlamChessed on Mon, May 20 2024, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:31 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I don't think it's worth it financially. I love what I do, I love the flexibility, I love helping people, but that's it. There are a few exceptionally expensive therapists, but most therapists are not billing that many hours a year at that high rates. And those that do often spend years working at lower salaries.

well, I love helping ppl but I also love giving my family food, clothing, and everything else they need

if in fact u earn this little how do you manage?

not talking abt living a luxurious life, but comfortably and decently?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:33 pm
so overall, if I want to live comfortably this field is def not for me?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics