Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name to add for someone who died young/tragic way

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:58 pm
Was anyone guided for a specific girls name to be added for someone who died young/tragically? (Cant be Chaya)

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Was anyone guided for a specific girls name to be added for someone who died young/tragically? (Cant be Chaya)

Nechama
Bracha

amother
Orange

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:00 pm
Another relative who lived long
Or basheva

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:00 pm
Why not ask your own shailah?

I have a BIL who lost his mother young, and was told (by R' Dovid Feinstein) to name my niece exactly as is.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:04 pm
I just added another name that I liked and went well with the name of relative who died young

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:05 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I have a BIL who lost his mother young, and was told (by R' Dovid Feinstein) to name my niece exactly as is.

Many family members have already used the original name. It’s not something I’m concerned about from a Torah perspective. My husband is just not comfortable with it and I want to respect his personal feelings.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:23 pm
My grandmother a"h died at a relatively young age. My older cousin was the first to have a girl and name for her. He asked a shaila and was told to add a middle name. The rest of us who named after the same grandmother all followed suit and all added different middle names. It's very helpful when we get together because we can easily differentiate which child we are talking about! We all picked middle names that made sense to us based on the time of year or the parsha or other circumstances.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:06 am
I added another relative who lived a long time

amother
Azure

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:21 am
I am named for someone who died young in Auschwitz. My parents added a name from the parsha the week I was born which is related to giving life.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:32 am
Ahuva, Bracha, Nechama, Ruchama, Tova, Eliana, Alte (specifically used as a segula for long life), Chava

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:33 am
I heard it's specific for someone under 20 years old.
I've heard alta or bubbe be added as well as the other mentioned names

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:35 am
Sarah because she lived a long life
(Sarah imeinu)

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:37 am
Chayalle wrote:

I believe that if naming a child after your own parent you don’t need to add but when it’s a grandparent you should. My husband is named after his grandfather with no additions but when his nephews were named that they were told to add (same rebbe was asked by both)

I definitely agree to ask

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Many family members have already used the original name. It’s not something I’m concerned about from a Torah perspective. My husband is just not comfortable with it and I want to respect his personal feelings.

What about the name of the parent of whoever’s name your giving?

amother
White

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:39 am
I'm named after my grandmother who died very young. I'm one of 8 cousins named for her. Everyone asked a rav. Some who told to add on a name before, some to add on after, and some to leave as is.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:53 am
Chava (has similar meaning to Chaya)
Tchiya (rebirth)
Chedva (same gematria as Chaya)

Rappel

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:08 pm
Sarah - long and full life

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:14 pm
By my son who we named after DH brother who died very young we asked a Rav and he said add chaim. We couldn't coz it's DH name so he said just pick any name and gave an example of a name from that weeks parsha.

You don't have to add a specific name.

MyUsername

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:35 pm
Bracha or Mazal

agreer

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:22 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
I believe that if naming a child after your own parent you don’t need to add but when it’s a grandparent you should. My husband is named after his grandfather with no additions but when his nephews were named that they were told to add (same rebbe was asked by both)

I definitely agree to ask

I've definitely heard this. If it's one's own parent, s/he can name the child the direct name without additions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names