Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/O Loving Shabbos for the sake of Shabbos

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 8:43 am
For reasons I don't want to get into lest I out myself, Shabbos is not really a day for me to read much, go on walks, or hang out with friends. I can't leave my house, too busy with little kids to read and the only time I could invite people over, in the afternoon, I'd prefer a nap.

Someone mentioned on the other thread the concept of loving Shabbos for the sake of Shabbos. I'd love to figure out how to get there. I make all the yummy food, I do try to get a magazine that sometimes I get through, and play with my kids but I'm starting to go crazy.

Is there a level in ruchniyus (that's attainable) where you could almost do nothing the whole Shabbos and feel happy? If so, how would one get there?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 8:45 am
One would need to learn very much about Shabbos in depth. And then she’d appreciate the day as it exists.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 9:56 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
One would need to learn very much about Shabbos in depth. And then she’d appreciate the day as it exists.

Any recommendations for seforim or books?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 10:29 am
Shabbos is, above all else, a mindset. The mindset that for these next 25 hours, everything is as it should be, the illusion of us being in control of our lives and destinies is suspended. We jump off the rat race and into G-D’s loving embrace- safe like a baby in its mother’s arms.

This is what I’m thinking every week as I light the candles.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:17 am
With kids that don't nap, but want attention, I don't nap much on shabbos. But the afternoon is so long, so we do play at home, but then my kids need a change of scenery. That's when we go for walks, visit people, go to the park. That's my social for the week.

I love shabbos. I look forward to it each week. I love that I can't do things (like laundry, working, etc). I love the disconnect from technology.

You need to find one thing that will help you appreciate the day. One thing. It'll make a difference.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:19 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
With kids that don't nap, but want attention, I don't nap much on shabbos. But the afternoon is so long, so we do play at home, but then my kids need a change of scenery. That's when we go for walks, visit people, go to the park. That's my social for the week.

I love shabbos. I look forward to it each week. I love that I can't do things (like laundry, working, etc). I love the disconnect from technology.

You need to find one thing that will help you appreciate the day. One thing. It'll make a difference.

I used to do everything you said and loved Shabbos too! Because of new circumstances I'm stuck at home. I'm a real extravert and it's killing me.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:38 am
You can slowly read through Rabbi Pinkus's book on shabbos - he also has amazing speeches on shabbos. Yes, it is a very high level to do all that he says but even if you think some of the thoughts it will help elevate you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note