Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Cranial therapy for speech/language issues

amother
OP  

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:51 pm
My DC has some speech challenges that are not being resolved through traditional speech therapy. Speech therapy seems to be more like a bandaid so was wondering if cranial work could address the root of his issues, in terms of sentence structure, tenses usage, etc.
Can you please share your experience with cranial work for SLP concerns?
Thank you y'all 😆

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:23 pm
Slp here. If he’s not making progress you need a different therapist. There’s no evidence or support for cranial therapy or really any other type of intervention other than language intervention in the scientific community.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:37 pm
I can see craniosacral therapy helping with articulation issues because of how it helps with oral restrictions but I think it helping with language is a bit of a stretch, although it CAN help with overall nervous system functioning.

I would look into methyl b12 for language if you're looking for something alternative.

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 11:36 pm
If you can find someone trained in cranial "brain" coursework from Dr. Chikly you can very likely see success with Hashem's help. Find a practitioner who has trained in a variety of different coursework. Not just basic cranial therapy.
FWIW, the American Speech and Hearing Association does give continuing education credits for Speech therapists who take cranial classes so they must have thought something was valid What .

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 11:41 pm
what are your speech concerns? (im a slp too)
there are studies that show cod oil (DHA) which supports brain development can aid in language development.

amother
Vermilion  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 9:42 am
Similar. My child has speech concerns that are just different. Like he has a hard time talking and we don't know why. He gets speech therapy but it's not really targeted. Do you think cranial might help?

amother
Whitesmoke  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 10:47 am
I’m an SLP, and I don’t honestly know enough about cranial therapy to comment on it. However, I DO know that either a) you’re with the wrong therapist, or b) there is something else going on that is impeding progress.
If a child is having a hard time talking, is it is his language being targeted? Maybe he has a motor planning disorder? Maybe something is structurally wrong. Where are you located, and how old is your child, and then we can make some good recommendations.

amother
  Vermilion

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:21 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I’m an SLP, and I don’t honestly know enough about cranial therapy to comment on it. However, I DO know that either a) you’re with the wrong therapist, or b) there is something else going on that is impeding progress.
If a child is having a hard time talking, is it is his language being targeted? Maybe he has a motor planning disorder? Maybe something is structurally wrong. Where are you located, and how old is your child, and then we can make some good recommendations.

So if it's more of a motor planning issue, wouldn't cranial help with that more than regular SLP?

amother
  Whitesmoke

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 12:19 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
So if it's more of a motor planning issue, wouldn't cranial help with that more than regular SLP?

Possibly but I don’t know enough about it
However, if it’s a motor planning disorder she needs an SLP specializing in that and maybe then she’ll see progress. It takes special training to treat that.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:11 pm
hi!
so DC is not using tenses and pronouns properly, doesn't use the possessive 's, showing no signs of improvement in this area after all the work with SLP. I think she's wonderful provider but wondering if maybe the problem stems from elsewhere , hence my looking in a different direction.
amother Camellia wrote:
what are your speech concerns? (im a slp too)
there are studies that show cod oil (DHA) which supports brain development can aid in language development.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:12 pm
thanks!
am in Brooklyn and DC is 7..….
amother Whitesmoke wrote:

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:20 pm
-Have you had his hearing tested?
-How is his comprehension?
-How is his articulation?
-How is his pragmatic (social) use of language?
-Do you know what specifically the SLP is doing with him during sessions? Individual or group?

amother
  Ultramarine

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:30 pm
Ive been a speech therapist for almost 2 decades. I am also a parent of a child who received speech therapy. Ive been in private practice for 10 years. I'm 100% on board with looking for alternative therapies when standard treatment doesn't work. Speech therapy works for many, but it can't help the underlying cause of a language learning disability. For those kids who are not being helped, I have seen way better results when parents seek out alternative treatments alongside traditional therapy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics