Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Professional manicure/pedicure

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:48 am
Few questions.
How often do you get manicures/pedicures?
Do you find them a necessity or a luxury?
Maybe I should factor in how much they cost in your area.

Someone I know is desperate for money, has barely any money to pay for food and is afraid that creditors will come kick her out of her apt, take away her car, etc. Granted, she didnt get herself into this mess; its that way because someone owes her a lot of money and she's used to living a wealthier lifestyle. Anyhow, she still goes for expensive manicures and hairstyling often, and doesnt veiw it as a luxury, rather as a neccesity. "I don't do it all the time," she says. "Just for weddings. How can you go to weddings without getting a manicure [read expensive building up fingernails and detailed intricate manicure] and getting your hair styled?" I did my own manicure for my own wedding. I don't get it.
Maybe others in the same mindset as this person can explain it to me...

And a side question: What time of the month do you get manicures? I think its a waste to do it after mikva with my short nails, and pointless to do it when I have longer nails but am in nidda...

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:09 pm
I get my manis and pedis just about every 2 weeks (or earlier if they look aweful). I get them with short and long nails, generally french manicure (right now I am having very short nails with a french manicure).
I get them for myself, because I like to look nice and put together at any time, I do it for myself and not for DH, even though he surely enjoys it. I pay around $6 for a mani and pedi. I find it a necesity.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:17 pm
My nails and toes are always done but I'm blessed with good hands thank God so I do it myself.
I wouldn't judge others on what they spend their money on. Maybe she's saving in other areas to fill this need. If she's asking you for money, then you have a right to voice your opinion on the matter.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:19 pm
About what time of month...like I said, my nails are always done. By the way, dark colored nails look better on short nails than on long.

ffbmom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:39 pm
If I could get a manicure for $6, I'd get them all the time too.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 12:49 am
I have the same question about when to get them done, I hate my nails short but by the time their long enough to get a manicure Im nidda again so what have them done for 12 days?
I view it as a treat....

rivkeah

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 12:57 pm
hi where do get them for $6 maincure and pedicure?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 1:56 pm
It's not manicure and pedicure for $6, it's just manicure (most chinese places in bp).

rivkeah

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:35 pm
Where on 18th avenue?? well which one is a decent clean place that does a good job?

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:43 pm
I used to get my nails done every week or every other week. I used to go to this place at park slope, they chared $8 for a mani and I think 12-15 for a pedi? I also used to go to a woman in crown heights, she charges $10 for a manicure

Falafel

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:49 pm
I find it a necessity to get my nails done. I pay about $20 for mani and pedi, and leave a few dollars for tip.
I usually get the pedi every 2 months. I get a mani once a month ($7, with $2 tip), and will cut and file my (hand) nails myself in the meantime. If (please G-d!) I have time, I paint them too.

[I was never able to cut my toe nails nicely, they always snag on my stalkings or socks and poke the next toe, or I cut them too short and they hurt for the next week! they take forever to grow!]

Oh, and I always get a mani/pedi day of mikvah and go in the next day to get them painted!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:14 am
I'm almost never without nail polish, and my nails always look good, but even for my own dd's naming I did it myself. My engagement was my first time. Then civil, then chuppa. Period. This was the same for professionally done hair. And for make up I don't think I know any girl or woman who hires a professional for make up, nails or hair for someone else's wedding, except maybe a sister, and even then, very "special" circles where they also have to wear matching dresses, etc.

Outside of this, and not managing to cut the nails correctly yourself (what about filing, then?), I say why not, if you have plenty of money. If not, it gets ridiculous.

imaamy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:42 am
Those prices sound really low for here. I go to one of the cheapest places. I don't like it, but I've tried others and the toe polish smudges or chips after a few days. I've had the current pedi for 2 weeks and I'm ready to get it changed, but it has held up well. I pay $9 for the pedi, no design, without tip, and that is rock bottom here. I don't get manis because I am bad about wearing gloves while cleaning so I just keep my own nails short with clear polish. I need to change that more than weekly. You'd think I do more housework with how quickly they go bad!

frumluv

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:15 am
I usually get a manicure every 2 wks, by my job in the city, so it's like $12. That is 2x as much as it would be in other neighborhoods, but it lasts pretty long.

Pedicures, I mostly do myself, but if I do get one, it once a couple of months

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 11:35 am
Now that Im pregnant and dont have to worry about having short nails and all that... I find I get manicures less often.
Im always scared that they throw the nails on the floor...

mrsrj

Post Fri, Nov 21 2008, 3:17 am
I went to a place in cedarhurst and I got a mani and pedi for $25..Thats only because im preg now,and I honestly think that my hands and feet deserve a treat :-).
I hardly got them before I was preg bec in one weeks time I used to always have to take it off to go to the mikvah!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics