Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question for freelancers (what to do with this client)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 10:55 am
I've been working as a freelance writer for almost 20 years now. When I started out, it was because I had just lost my job and was desperate, so I took whatever I could get. There were ebbs and flows of work back then, some of the clients I really enjoyed working for, and some of the work I really liked, but some clients were challenging and some work wasn't really the type of writing I enjoy. I did almost anything anyway because we needed the money and I needed the experience.

There was one client who was so nice to me. He got me a lot of business, which was especially appreciated during my drier spells. He had a network of people that he worked with, and when he heard that one of them was looking for a freelancer, he'd point them my way. My work for him was regular but didn't earn much -- I'd write one short article for him, once a month -- but he would get me clients that would need hours and hours of work, sometimes for several months. I honestly didn't enjoy the work I was doing for him at all, and the pay wasn't wonderful, but other than asking for a raise once, I didn't want to rock the boat.

It's now almost two decades later. For the past 10 years or so, I've BH found a niche where I'm doing what I love. I have a few regular clients who BH have what seems to be endless amounts of work for me, and who appreciate the knowledge and skill that I bring to the table. I enjoy my work, I'm charging much more than I was before, and I get paid by the hour rather than by the project, so it's much less stressful and I feel like I'm really getting paid the amount that I'm owed (rather than having to do a million revisions on a project that seemed easy and quick at the beginning, which means that I end up earning an hourly rate that's a fraction of what I'd originally estimated).

But I'm still writing that monthly article for my old client. Not because I need his referrals anymore, but because I'm still so grateful for the work that he sent me way back when.

The problem is that the work is getting more and more frustrating. I'm not going to go into more details, but for various it's taking longer and longer to write the articles every month, which means I'm really getting paid pennies for my work. (Asking for a raise is not the answer, since I'd have to ask for exponentially more than I'm currently charging, which is almost insulting to ask for -- really the issue is that I'm massively overqualified for the job at this point.) I also have to squeeze them in between deadlines that I have for my other clients. I'm also getting annoyed every month to take off from the work that I love and enjoy and feel passionate about, in order to write about a topic that I have no interest in.

(There's another issue I have with the work, but I'm setting that aside right now.) My question is, (assuming that I can work out this other issue) is it silly to continue working for this client because I owe him so much for helping me out during the lean years? Or is showing gratitude worth it? If this is just an issue of changing my perspective, I'll do that. But part of me thinks that I'm being ridiculous to continue on doing work that I don't enjoy, for a fraction of the money that I could be making otherwise, just because of something that happened over a decade ago.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:03 am
I don't have any advice, but I am wondering, would you be able to guide me on how to become a freelance writer? Writing is something I really enjoy, and would love for it to become a money making job instead of just a hobby.
Right now Im in Mortgages, and so ready to leave. Math was never my thing Sad

Would you be able to help me?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:09 am
amother Crocus wrote:
I don't have any advice, but I am wondering, would you be able to guide me on how to become a freelance writer? Writing is something I really enjoy, and would love for it to become a money making job instead of just a hobby.
Right now Im in Mortgages, and so ready to leave. Math was never my thing Sad

Would you be able to help me?

Sure, two tips for you since you're just starting out:

*Do some free writing work for a friend/relative/local newspaper. Ask around to see if any of your friends/relatives who have small businesses need someone to do some writing for them -- you'd be surprised how many of them might say yes. Or ask a small local publication -- you know, the type that is mostly there for the ads but needs a few articles so there's something there between the ads -- if you can write an article for them. That's how you start to gain experience. No future client needs to know that these were unpaid, just that you did the work.

*See if you can find a niche to take your current expertise (mortgages) and roll it over into the writing field. See if you can write a financial section in that local newspaper I mentioned. Or ask some mortgage companies if you can write some copy for their websites. You may not be doing that long term (see above), but it will give you experience that will help you down the line.

Hope that helps!

Success10

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:17 am
Can you at least start charging him by the hour so you don't feel resentful?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:17 am
I think you can thank him for all the opportunities and move on. To be nice, you can offer one or two more articles to give him time to fill your roll. No obligation, though

bakingmom

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:18 am
Would you be able to refer him to someone else? Let him know that over time you specialize in a more niche area of writing, the work you do for him is not really your area anymore, but in appreciation for his many years of employment and all the referals he gave you, you can refer him to someone else.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:18 am
Hakarat hatov has no end or limits.
Kol hakavod for building yourself up and creating a career for yourself.
Remember how you started.
(Though I feel like this isn’t the popular option and that most people would say you need to look out for yourself and don’t short change yourself and charge what your worth and only do projects you’re interested in.)

safetynet1

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:20 am
I would probably have an open conversation with him; Tell him that the work is taking longer and long because of xyz and that you are swamped with work. Then tell him that you feel tremendous gratitude to him for all the work he brought you, but are unsure of how to proceed since you are limited in time.

He may understand and continue on with someone else.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:23 am
That is a toughie, op, and I'm not sure anyone else can really answer that for you.
Some questions:
Is this client currently feeding you new clients or it was just in the past, when you were first starting out?
How much actual time are you spending on this per month? If it was minimal (1-3 hours a month), I'd personally not rock the boat.
If it is taking a significant amount of your time away from higher paying clients, what would happen if you told him you're not available every month?
Have you ever raised your rate for him? Obviously, going from a rate of 15+ years ago to today's current rate is not a fair jump, but if you would raise it gradually...
I wonder how straightforward your relationship is with him. What if you told him, I'm currently losing money on this project, but since I have tremendous gratitude to you, I'd like to ease you into a higher pay rate gradually over the next several years.
Ultimately, it's up to you, op. I don't think there's a definite right or wrong in this situation.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:32 am
If he's Jewish, then I would definitely stick with it. He helped you when you needed him. Hakaras hatov doesn't have a time limit.

Comptroller

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:40 am
Recommend an aspiring new writer of good quality to this client, and everybody wins.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

My question is, (assuming that I can work out this other issue) is it silly to continue working for this client because I owe him so much for helping me out during the lean years? Or is showing gratitude worth it? If this is just an issue of changing my perspective, I'll do that. But part of me thinks that I'm being ridiculous to continue on doing work that I don't enjoy, for a fraction of the money that I could be making otherwise, just because of something that happened over a decade ago.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

As someone who is self employed as well, not freelance writing but I provide a professional service and have made plenty of business mistakes over the years, my answer is no, you do not need to continue providing this service that you have come to despise for almost no pay but have been doing for years out of a sense of hakoras hatov. And frankly, he should respect that.

Ask yourself, is there any amount of money that would make you feel happy to continue writing the article for him?

If yes, you can charge him that price. If there is no amount of money that would make you feel properly compensated, or if you absolutely do not feel comfortable asking for that amount, tell him this will be your last 1 or 2 articles and offer to make a referral.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:17 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
If he's Jewish, then I would definitely stick with it. He helped you when you needed him. Hakaras hatov doesn't have a time limit.

Hakoras hatov isn't indentured servitude. She isn't obligated to write a monthly article for free for the rest of her life, no matter how helpful he was.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics