Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Where do you do your laundry?

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:19 am
In my apartment the washing machine is in the kitchen, so I wash it there. Then I have to bring it upstairs and dry it in our bedroom or the 2nd bedroom/office/future baby room. Its annoying not to have a dryer since there is barely any space for the laundry rack in the house, and I can't dry it outside or on the first floor of the house (I don't want my neighbors or any visitors seeing mine and my DH's underthings, thanks very much). I'm fine with this until we can find a bigger place, really. I am grateful for living in a nice apartment in a quiet area near our shul and friends/family.

One fine day I will have a laundry room. When we get a house. Whenever and wherever that may be!

So.. where do you do your laundry?

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:36 am
b'h I have a little laundry room off my bathroom to do my laundry in. Its set up a bit strange so the dryer kind of blocks the doorway and you have to squeese in and out to the washing machine. Its great though, much better than my last apartment where my washing machine was in the kitchen. Another nice thing is that there are a few built in lines right outside the window of the room, not enough for a whole load but great for a few things.

Even though I have a dryer in the summer I almost never use it.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:48 am
Now, we have a teensy laundry room, which is fine because it has all that we need. We have a washer and dryer. In our last apt, there was a hook-up for a stackable, but since we already had a side by side, we improvised. The washing machine was put where it belongs, which was right outside the bathroom. The dryer was put in the kitchen and we put a gas extension to the oven.

Our dryer now, does not use gas. It also doesn't work that great Rolling Eyes LOL . What I do love about the dryer is that it does not need an attachment for the vent to go outside. There's something in the machine that collects the "smoke" or vapor, which is really water and has to be emptied out when it's full. I don't use that anyway because where my dryer is there's something that's attached to the sewer for the water to go.

Helani

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:49 am
Small stackable washer and dryer in the bathroom next to the bedrooms. Very convenient since I just throw a load in in the morning while getting everyone ready and in the evening when giving baths and putting them to bed. Also, no shlepping involved except for kitchen stuff. Laundry hampers and basket with clean stuff I lined up against the wall in the hallway off the bathroom since there is no room in the bathroom itself. Can't complain, although it will probably take me at least 3 loads a day to keep up once our family gets bigger.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:52 am
We've got a laundry closet. The dryer is on top of the washer in there. I'd say it's basically in the center of the apartment.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:53 am
In my old apartment we had a laundry closet with a washer and dryer. Not that we're in a different apartment I take my laundry to my moms house and do it there (she lives nearby)

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:08 am
In the basement, two flights down, we have a washer and dryer. It is hysterical because on a day when I do a lot of laundry, my dh will come home and find socks on the stairs because some dropped out of my hands on the way up and I didn't notice

Fox

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:01 am
I've always found it odd that houses (at least in the U.S.) are usually built with the laundry area in the basement rather than where the bedrooms are located. A few years ago I was reading a real estate column in a local paper, and a reader had written in to ask if creating a nice laundry area on the second floor would add value to their house. The columnist basically responded that no one really cares about having laundry facilities near bedrooms and that the project wouldn't add any value to the house. I'm not in real estate, so it's possible that the columnist was correct. But I'd be thrilled not to have to shlep everything up and down!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:05 am
Fox wrote:
I've always found it odd that houses (at least in the U.S.) are usually built with the laundry area in the basement rather than where the bedrooms are located. A few years ago I was reading a real estate column in a local paper, and a reader had written in to ask if creating a nice laundry area on the second floor would add value to their house. The columnist basically responded that no one really cares about having laundry facilities near bedrooms and that the project wouldn't add any value to the house. I'm not in real estate, so it's possible that the columnist was correct. But I'd be thrilled not to have to shlep everything up and down!

I'm shocked. I always tell my dh that I will appreciate the next place we end up living because of things I didn't have in this apt, like closets in my bedroom, a bigger kitchen, and laundry close to me. I totally agree with you.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:41 am
When I was a teenager my mother almost bought a new house (new constuction) the laundry closet was on the second floor next to the bedrooms. Most new constuction has the laundry room either near the kitchen or neat the bedroom. The only house that I have seen that have the laundry in the basement is much older home atleast 30 years old.

So for my the stackable is in my kitchen and I live in an apartment.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:42 am
Ours is in our storage room in our apartment's basement. I bring it up to fold/hang.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:42 pm
I'm a bit spoiled with a large laundry room and three washing machines at this time. I feel it's more important than a nice kitchen or large bedrooms. (I did not buy them. One came with the house, one came with me when I moved, and one someone was throwing out)

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:47 pm
when I lived in a building, I had to go to the ground floor by elevator, to the disgusting laundry room where it was freezing and dimly lit with my newborn.....but it was still easier than going to a laundromat a few blocks away.

now, bh we are in a basement apt with a separate laundry room! yay!

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:55 pm
Stackable in the kitchen. It's great, easy access all the time.
But if I can choose I would prefer a separate laundry room near the bedrooms.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:13 pm
B"H in the basement but it would be much better upstairs near the bedrooms. Right now, I'm not able to bring the laundry up and down, so I always have to ask dh to do it. But, I wash and dry and fold and organize by room it goes into and type of clothes Smile.

Before this, we had a stackable in the bathroom next to the bedrooms. It was smaller, but great not to have to shlep stuff.

Before that, it was in the basement of the building next door. VERY sketchy and dirty and broken stairs to get to it, so I went to a really great laundromat about a mile away because it was so much better than the laundry room and the other laundromats in the area.

Before that, Israel - washer that held about 1 pair of pants and two shirts/load - maybe a sock or two if you could fit it and it took hours to wash(literally - on the shortest cycle!). The dryer barely worked, and we tried to dry it outside as much as possible but we had a lot of fog which kept things wet. So it would only dry in the middle of the day and before we left it was damp and then by the time we came home it was damp again. We also dried stuff on chairs inside, but that also took forever to dry. It was a difficult situation, but it was better than having to tremp to a laundromat and pay for it to be cleaned in another town, with my pregnant belly.

Before that, basement of apt. bldg.

Before that basement of apt. bldg.

Before that, basement of apt. bldg.

Before that basement in my parent's house.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:17 pm
basement. I don't mind the shlep, but it does cut down my laundry time to specific hours. I love having my own machines, though, and I consider the shlep to be some much needed exercise Smile

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:21 pm
My building has a great 24 hour laundry room on the main floor/lobby.
I've gotten so used to only doing laundry every week-10 days. I just wash a few loads at at a time and am finished with the all my washing and drying in an hour and a half.
I always get the feeling that my friends and family who have one washer and dryer in their homes are ALWAYS doing laundry!!

Last edited by manhattanmom on Wed, Aug 27 2008, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:59 pm
my laundromat is across the street. they put in new machines and redid the whole place. so its nice doing it there. I don't like shlepping the laundry up and down 2 flights of stairs. my father has it right next to the bedrooms. such a machaya. if I bought a house that is something that I would want!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry