Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Weight of a cup of flour



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:03 am
a cup of white flour weighs 120g
cup of ww flour weighs 113g

is it because ww has more volume? so you get a cup with less flour?
or it weighs less than white flour?
Back to top

BatyaEsther




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:07 am
Different types of flour will weigh differently based on the composition of the grain and the milling process. For example, a cup of whole wheat flour will weigh less than 1 cup of all-purpose flour because the bran particles take up more space and weigh less than an equal volume of white flour.
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:10 pm
The weight of a cup of flour will also depend on whether you siftv the flour or pack it into the cup.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 2:13 pm
a cup of white flour is meant to weigh 120-125g but when I weigh 120g of white flour I get just over a 3/4 cup.?
Back to top

Brit in Israel




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 2:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
a cup of white flour is meant to weigh 120-125g but when I weigh 120g of white flour I get just over a 3/4 cup.?


If you sift it into the cup it will fill the cup more
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 2:37 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
If you sift it into the cup it will fill the cup more



it doesnt bother me. I sift after weighing.

I just want to know if this is what a cup is- less than a cup.
Back to top

Brit in Israel




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 3:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
it doesnt bother me. I sift after weighing.

I just want to know if this is what a cup is- less than a cup.


if the recipe says a cup of sifted flour its a sifted cup so if poured in will be less than a cup, if the recipe says a cup spooned in its more than a sifted cup. Some recipes it can cause it to flop, others it wont make much difference.

In general if a recipe is in cups its not as accurate as weighed recipes.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 3:21 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
if the recipe says a cup of sifted flour its a sifted cup so if poured in will be less than a cup, if the recipe says a cup spooned in its more than a sifted cup. Some recipes it can cause it to flop, others it wont make much difference.

In general if a recipe is in cups its not as accurate as weighed recipes.



yeah, know that.

I am just wondering if lets say a recipe calls for 3 cups of white flour if I should weigh it at 120g or measure the volume of 1 cup.

they are 2 diff results.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Bingo- Molino flour
by amother
3 Yesterday at 4:33 pm View last post
Water pills or laxative are they safe to help lose weight?
by amother
5 Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:50 am View last post
For Cleaning Up Spilled Flour - mesh better than a sponge 0 Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:38 pm View last post
Started Weight Loss Shot Semaglutide - AMA
by amother
17 Fri, Jun 07 2024, 5:34 am View last post
How do I lose "weight" in on my face
by amother
8 Wed, Jun 05 2024, 1:42 pm View last post