Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Normal Shavuos foods?

amother
OP  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:50 am
I'm trying to host some of my husband's family for Shavuos. When I asked about food things, they said they liked blintzes, traditional foods, and normal foods.

I have no idea what traditional or normal foods are for this person, and neither DH nor myself eats cheese, or makes creamy foods except cheesecake. DH hates fish.

What are normal Shavuos or traditional foods that don't involve cheese or a lot of creamy? Some butter is fine.

Help?

scruffy

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:52 am
Sounds like it might be easier to make fleishig meals honestly.

Would you want to make a dairy kiddush with cheesecake and then serve a normal meat meal after?

amother
Currant

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:56 am
My menu
Salmon
Sushi salad
Caeser salad
Greek salad
Spinach Quiche
Ziti
Fettuccine Alfredo
Mini pizza for kids
Cheesecakes
ice cream for dessert
Guessing too cheesy for you guys

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:56 am
If you want a pareve/dairy meal you can do Brunch style- salads, avocado toast, pancakes, shakshuka ect. We always do this for one meal and it's a big hit.

mommyhood  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 12:08 pm
When I think of a typical Shavuos meal I think cheesy/creamy. Would it be an option for you to make one heavier pasta dish for your guests even if you don’t eat it and then add fish and maybe a pasta with grilled vegetables so you have what to eat. You can start with onion soup and only people who want will add in cheese. Have some sort of cheesecake or milchig dessert for kiddush in the morning and make the rest of the meals fleishigs if that’s your preference.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Currant wrote:
My menu
Salmon
Sushi salad
Caeser salad
Greek salad
Spinach Quiche
Ziti
Fettuccine Alfredo
Mini pizza for kids
Cheesecakes
ice cream for dessert
Guessing too cheesy for you guys

All for one meal? Can I be your guest please!

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm trying to host some of my husband's family for Shavuos. When I asked about food things, they said they liked blintzes, traditional foods, and normal foods.

I have no idea what traditional or normal foods are for this person, and neither DH nor myself eats cheese, or makes creamy foods except cheesecake. DH hates fish.

What are normal Shavuos or traditional foods that don't involve cheese or a lot of creamy? Some butter is fine.

Help?

Traditional shavuos foods are cheesey. That's probably what they are referring to. Blintzes, pastas, salads, cheesecakes, and fish.

You can also have fleishig meals, meat or chicken, potatoes, rice, vegetables, dessert.

Do you usually cook ethnic recipes or exotic flavors? Is there a reason why they are specifiying that the want normal traditional foods?

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think they were trying to indicate that you don't need to cook.anything special for them. Just normal, traditional foods. Soup. Meat and potatoes. Cheesecake. (Not at the same meal!) Just make nice Yom Tov meals, and they'll be happy.

Since they specified blintzes, do one meal that's parev/milchic, and serve the blintzes then. Fill some of them with cheese and use a parev filling for the rest.

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-4760

https://www.myjewishlearning.c.....cipe/

You could even make a 'blintz bar' with all different fillings. It could be the next fashion!

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, May 29 2024, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
Traditional shavuos foods are cheesey. That's probably what they are referring to. Blintzes, pastas, salads, cheesecakes, and fish.

You can also have fleishig meals, meat or chicken, potatoes, rice, vegetables, dessert.

Do you usually cook ethnic recipes or exotic flavors? Is there a reason why they are specifiying that the want normal traditional foods?

I feel like ethnic/exotic depends on where you're from and what you're used to.

I think they're trying to avoid being difficult or picky by saying they just like normal foods, so just make what I usually do - but it's extended family on my husband's side and I'm not sure what they think of as normal foods that I will want to eat/serve.

I don't really want to serve pizza and french fries, but I feel like that's most of what they eat. Not exaggerating.

amother
Cadetblue  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel like ethnic/exotic depends on where you're from and what you're used to.

I think they're trying to avoid being difficult or picky by saying they just like normal foods, so just make what I usually do - but it's extended family on my husband's side and I'm not sure what they think of as normal foods that I will want to eat/serve.

I don't really want to serve pizza and french fries, but I feel like that's most of what they eat. Not exaggerating.

I'm sure your husband knows what they are on Shabbos/YT growing even if you don't

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:05 pm
Why can't you make fish and something with cheese for them, even if you don't like it?
It seems like you have to worry more about what you and your husband can eat.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Why can't you make fish and something with cheese for them, even if you don't like it?
It seems like you have to worry more about what you and your husband can eat.

I wanted to avoid cooking 2 meals for each meal I served.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:25 pm
Traditional shavuos foods are cheesecake, (rebbetzins is the old fashioned traditional
cheese blintzes and cheese kreplach. All are done with farmer cheese not with cream cheese.

Then there are newer more up to date variations of diff dairy dishes.

lamplighter  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:32 pm
If you serve Milchig and pareve at a meal ("traditional normal shavuos food") what would you and your husband eat?

You don't have to eat everything by each course or meal but you need to have some things that you will eat.

Make a menu that includes both.

Alternatively if you prefer fleishigs you can do a Milchig kiddush (with the traditional normal shavuos food) wait an hour or whatever your minhag is, and then serve a fleishig main course.

lamplighter

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:34 pm
I can't tell if you're asking about hosting for one meal or for all shavuos.
If it's one meal I posted above, if it's for the whole shavuos, you only need to do one pareve/dairy meal and the rest can be regular Yom tov meals. Cheesecake for breakfast is nice too.

mommyhood

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wanted to avoid cooking 2 meals for each meal I served.

Do you consider 2 mains to be cooking 2 meals? Its pretty common to have a choice of mains when you have guests, especially on YT where people tend to make things a little nicer. Fish and pasta for a dairy meal, chicken and meat for a fleishig meal. You don’t need double appetizers and side dishes, it’s ok if not everyone likes every food.

amother
  Cadetblue

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:48 pm
Op it would probably be the easiest if you think of overlapping foods

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:57 pm
Some ideas:
Gefilte fish
Salads
Quiche (can be done with or without cheese)
Sweet noodle kugel
Carrot kugel muffins with cream cheese frosting (can use pareve cream cheese)
Lox,Cream cheese (pareevn and real), bagels, fancy breads, and veggies etc.

I also agree with poster above that u can make some cheesy stuff for them and pareve for you.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:57 pm
I think this was their way of saying whatever you make is prefect, that they eat anything regular and normal/traditional., they are not picky eaters.
They eat lasagna/baked ziti, pasta, pizza, eggs, fish-Salmon, gefilta, flounder, baked chicken, schnitzel , chicken soup, brisket, chulent, potatoes, kugel, meat balls, …….

Maybe not the time to try making Indian food, Ethiopian food, or experimenting with Asian fusion, but anything “regular “ is perfectly fine.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:15 pm
don't forget that isru chag is friday so keep in mind shabbos food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics