Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Can you help weed out the real issue??

amother
OP  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:33 pm
Ds is in a specific program now and he needs to switch out due to aging out. We have had him evaluated a number of times and was told he is definitely NOT autistic or even on the spectrum. We can’t find a school for him and the teachers, principal, and the BOE are pushing to get a fake diagnosis to get him in a special Ed school. Here’s the problem I’ve visited many schools and the kids there are literally not like ds at all. Yes he needs extra support in the classroom and I don’t think a regular class is for him for next yr too many kids in the class hopefully the following yr. But the special Ed schools are much lower lever than ds. I’m not sure what to do bc I can’t tell if the teachers are pushing for a fake diagnosis still be easier for them to find a school for him or if they just have zero patience dealing with this and want me off the case or if they really think so. We have no problem paying private for any services or therapies he may need and they keep telling me in order to get for example aba he needs a diagnosis. I happen to be against aba due to what a friend told me what it is since she was an aba therapist and don’t think it’s right for ds. So what do I do? I also just found out the school I send to now is opening a class for kids 5-6 and I’m asking them to keep him there another yr but they’re resisting. I can’t figure out why. The excuse they keep giving me is your son is not behaviorally where he should be at. Ummm yes hence he reason he’s at your school to help him out with his issues. Any advice? Any school ideas in the Boro park area?

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:52 pm
What are the concerns with his development?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 4:31 pm
Slight behavioral issues like transitions are somewhat hard, slight speech delay, learning how to share with friends, learning how to express himself. Compared to kids his age he is delayed but not enough for real special Ed program. This is based on what the programs told us. And we definitely saw that the kids were much lower than ds.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 4:42 pm
Can you tell us about your son?
his strength and weaknesses
his behavior
his social skill
then maybe we can help a little more

amother
Midnight  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 4:56 pm
If he has a language or processing issue, you can look at Pathways. If he has ADHD you can look into Ohr Dovid.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:01 pm
I checked out ohr dovid and was actually horrified. The kids all looked completely drugged up and subdued and they had these rooms where they would put the kids in and lock the door similar to solitary confinement rooms. The whole school gave me a really creepy vibe. I was also told by someone in the industry to stay far away. I’ll look into pathways. Can you tell me more about it?

amother
  OP

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 11:25 am
Any one else?

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 12:27 pm
PM me. My son is also aging out of a CPSE school, sounds like a similar profile.

amother
  Midnight

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 1:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I checked out ohr dovid and was actually horrified. The kids all looked completely drugged up and subdued and they had these rooms where they would put the kids in and lock the door similar to solitary confinement rooms. The whole school gave me a really creepy vibe. I was also told by someone in the industry to stay far away. I’ll look into pathways. Can you tell me more about it?

My son went he loved it. The kids are calm and the school is orderly because they have a behavior program that the kids agree to. It's not because the kids are zombies or terrified to be punished. It's a wonderful loving and supportive environment. Would you rather see a disorderly school with kids jumping around or misbehaving? The rooms are time out rooms for when kids are violent with one another or destroying property or hurting themselves. The staff is all trained how to deal with these behaviors is a calm way that doesn't hurt the child physically or emotionally. Having a time out rooms, if done right, is not a bad thing.
Op, you still haven't said what your child's diagnosis is or what in particular he struggles with. The two schools I mentioned are not for the same kind of child, it's for a very specific profile.
For general delay or learning disabilities, you can look at Gesher Yehuda or livnas hasapir (chush)

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 1:43 pm
Did you look into Strivright
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children