Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Normal for there to be naptime in school for soo long????
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:36 pm
my daughter is in school this year and they have nap time for an hour. for kids who dont fall asleep they have to lay there for an hour. no books allowed. my daughter does not nap and she has to lay there for so long without books or the chance to be taken to a diff room to play for those kids who dont nap
. I think this is wrong?
is this normal??

shouldnt they be allowed books????

the class age is kids who are 3 turning 4 this year

OldYoung

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:49 pm
I remember this from when I was in pre-school. At least there was soft, educational music playing in the background so I didn't lose my mind waiting for rest time to be over. There were quite a few kids who did fall asleep shock , though, so it must have been important to have overall.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:53 pm
What's wrong with an hour down-time for 3 year old kids? Even if she doesn't nap, she will benefit from relaxing a bit in middle of the day.

Kids don't have to play like wind-up toys all day long.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:57 pm
An hour just to lay is a little long. Suggest to the teacher that whoever doesn't fall asleep within a certain time can go read books quietly. We used to do 20 minutes.

Starhavah

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 11:03 pm
Amother, this is completely normal. In IL it is the law but we also lived in CA and naptime was the same. DD stopped napping at age 3 and by 3.5 until she went kindergarten and they were allowed books it was a nightmare (pun intended) for DD and us. Asking a 3.5 year old to lie down and be still for an hour when they are not sleepy and do not fall asleep is like asking the sea not to break on the shore. If you are a stay at home mom there is a way out of this. Pick DD up after lunch take her out and do something fun with her. Return her to school after nap time is over. Other than that - write your state legislator. Good luck.

BTW, although it is torture for 2 years they do not remember it by the time second grade starts and when you remind them of it they will think it is funny. None of them are scared for life and the fact of the matter is that most of them really do sleep. It is just those few of us with non-nappers who go through a mydrid number of complaints from teachers about how they will not lie still (Hello? Have you met any three year olds?!)

I sympathize.

Star Havah

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 11:03 pm
Except that it won't be quietly. They're 3 years old! And then the other kids will wake up. And there will be kids who davka will stay up on purpose if they know they will be rewarded for it.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 11:07 pm
Well, my kids do not nap after the age of 22 months, ever. To torture them to lay for an entire hour and stare at the ceiling would be a little too hard.

PIP

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:09 am
An hour at 3 years old? That sounds like a real long time, especially since there are so many kids that can fall asleep for a few minutes and that pumps them up for the rest of the day making them not be able to sleep at night.
I do think they need a little time to unwind, but an hour seems so long for a little child to lay down and do nothing. I can't imagine MYSELF laying down with the lights closed not being able to do anything for an hour, I'd go crazy! Imagine a 3 year old who can't sit still for more than 5 minutes?

happymom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:19 am
I think it is very wrong that they are not allowed books and its for that long yes!

they should be allowed to sit up and look at a book or have a quiet toy, quiet time makes sense. to stay on mat for an hour? im sorry I understand why it would bother u! have you spoken to the teacher? I dont even think its fair to expect that of a child that age!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:08 am
I think my kids would love it but I think they get only 15 minutes. Ask for the teacher to put on a story tape. If a child needs her nap badly, she will fall asleep despite the tape.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:15 am
The teachers need the down time. An hour is totally reasonable both for this purpose and for the children who still need to nap. You can't let some have books and some get up etc. because it ruins the nap time for everyone.

mumoo

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 2:38 am
Tamiri wrote:
The teachers need the down time. An hour is totally reasonable both for this purpose and for the children who still need to nap. You can't let some have books and some get up etc. because it ruins the nap time for everyone.

if there is more than one, they can tag team rest. Children have quiet play time while one teacher gets a break and then halfway over the other gets a break. With 4 yo nursery, there should be a ratio of no more than 1:6 ratio of teachers to children. A class of 18 means 2 teachers can stay while one rests.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 2:43 am
mumoo wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

if there is more than one, they can tag team rest. Children have quiet play time while one teacher gets a break and then halfway over the other gets a break. With 4 yo nursery, there should be a ratio of no more than 1:6 ratio of teachers to children. A class of 18 means 2 teachers can stay while one rests.

When I aided in a Jewish pre-school, there were 2 adults (one teacher, one aid) in the 3 yo class. While the children rested, we ate our lunch, did prep and rested too. There was no way one teacher could leave the class alone for any length of time.
The minute you have "some" kids doing quiet play, you will have a whole class doing noisy play. The children follow each others' cues. It's basically either all or nothing, and the teachers want all, which is quite understandable.
Here in Israel we have the option of leaving children late, which most people take. I don't think the 3 yo set naps. The kids who are taken home at the regular hour, 1:20 pm, certainly don't nap.

happymom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 7:59 am
its importrant that they can look at a book or hear a tape or somethiubg, ut usbt fair to just have them lay there doing nothing for an hour

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 8:05 am
We always had a tape on with either Jewish music (Uncle Moishie type) or story cassettes (this was in the days before CDs). Children who did not fall asleep were allowed to have a book or something after everyone had settled and the sleepers were sleeping. Lekatchila, you can't give some kids a book/toy and not give the others. Once you give to everyone, it's a mess. So, you tell the kids to lie quietly for a while and then let them have something to occupy themselves with.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 8:21 pm
Tamiri wrote:

if thje teacher needs a down time it cant be done on the kids account im a teacher too and we get 30-40 min lunch time firs one teacher then the other its usually the time when the kids eat lunch and then the afternoon

I agree that an hr nap time to do nothing while the child wont sleep is too much
I put the kids to nap with a childrens tape on on a low volume however it usually isnt for an hour the kids who fall asleep I let them sleep for longer that the kids who couldnt sleep then I do something quiter with the kids so the others shouldnt be woken right away however I have 2 1/2- 3yr old by the end of the year I did nap time 1. if I saw some of them can use it 2. if I wanted to calm them down 3. to treat them to some relaxation with a tape or books sometimes one car each( they are boys)

anyway my mother has a class of 3-4 yr olds they dont nap at all exept in the begining of the yr but they dont have to sleep the teacher tells them a story while they are on the cots or they listen to a childrens tape quitely they do it for not more that 30 min

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 3:27 pm
if I remember correctly it wasn't a good thing if you fell asleep during rest time. And an hour definitely sounds like a very long time for that age. A half hour max. If the child is tired enough, they will fall asleep.

I vaguely remember my parents getting called because my brother kept falling asleep during nap time!? So, now they're supposed to sleep!

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 3:33 pm
my dd has a 20 minute rest time in the afternoon. they listen to story tapes and I'll bet none of them fall asleep. it's probably more of a break from a long day. her class will all be 5 by december.

chanagital

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:59 pm
when I was a teacher long time ago in a preschool...before I was a special ed teacher.... and last year. I remember I had issues with the naptimes. One thing that I have learned is that it depends on the school. All of the preschools are required to have at least an hour nap/ quiet time if they go longer than four hours by the social services department that licenced the day-care/ preschool for children three going on four. But what that means is diffrent according to each school. I have had to make kids rest when they just wouldn't and I have been told that the children in the class can sit quietly on their bed with a toy or book. When a child gets to be four goin on five the rest time becomes a half an hour btw.

Cdlf

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 10:27 pm
My kids school has a one hour nap time as well but if the parent doesn't want her kid to sleep or the kid doesn't fall asleep after 30 minutes, one of the teachers takes the kids downstairs to the basement/playroom. I personally hate it when my 2 1/2 year old daughter sleeps in school because then she's up until 10:00!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers