Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Feeling fat; feeling skinny

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:13 pm
so the whole last week I was in a bad mood cuz I felt fat. Today I woke up and felt skinny.
This is without going on the scale.

do you ever have your "feel fat" "feel skinny" days?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:15 pm
Definitely.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:18 pm
honestly, though, I wish it wouldn't affect the way I go about my day. If I feel fat, I might not feel like cleaning, and I will have less patience for everyone. If I feel skinny, I feel like I can take on the world!

It's really sad that I let my weight affect me so much. That's why I feel like I HAVE to lose it.

Twizzlers

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:18 pm
yes. and I refuse to step on the scale if its one of those "fat feeling days"....then again I dont like going on the scale on a "skinny day" cuz I'm afraid I'll be proven wrong.

I can never win.

Imhappy!

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:39 pm
lol twizzler you're right on mark!

ganizzy

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:42 pm
I weigh myself once a week in the morning and usually on the mornings I feel like 1000 pounds I have lost weight. and the mornings im excited to see how much weight I lost....

yentaof8

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 3:42 pm
For me the feeling fluctuates on a continuous basis. I could wake up feeling skinny but if I indulge, instantly I feel fat.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 4:31 pm
well, I don't use a scale anymore. I don't want to know. when my skirts get too big I'll be happy.

cassandra

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 4:32 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
honestly, though, I wish it wouldn't affect the way I go about my day. If I feel fat, I might not feel like cleaning, and I will have less patience for everyone. If I feel skinny, I feel like I can take on the world!

It's really sad that I let my weight affect me so much. That's why I feel like I HAVE to lose it.

That's the trap of being a woman in our culture. We confuse our feelings with our bodies. You don't "feel fat" or "feel skinny," you feel happy or unhappy, or tired, or energetic, or bored or stimulated, etc. We are conditioned to believe that so much who we are, how competent we are, how worthwhile we are as people is tied to our weight. And it's such a part of us that most people don't realize.

Try this exercise: Every time you "feel fat" or "feel skinny" try to find other words to describe the feelings you are experiencing at the moment. Leave your body and food out of it. Focus on trying to appreciate or remedy those feelings rather than trying to change your body in order to change your feelings. See what happens.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 5:14 pm
I think many women feel bloated around their period time.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 5:49 pm
its funny, during the 2 weeks of be4 a period and the week of, I feel skinnier bc I know I my body is working overtime- cramps burn calories! and while I have my period I kno that I just lost stuff by my stomach so my stomach is always flatter.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 11:08 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:

HAHAH!!!! happy2bamommy, U made me laugh so hard now!
I have the same exact thing and I reeally petty my husband too! he already well know's when those fatty days are!!!

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 8:24 pm
All the time, it all depends on what I'm wearing and how comfortable I feel...I always feel fat after shabbos Rolling Eyes

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 2:06 pm
cassandra wrote:
happy2BaMommy wrote:

That's the trap of being a woman in our culture. We confuse our feelings with our bodies. You don't "feel fat" or "feel skinny," you feel happy or unhappy, or tired, or energetic, or bored or stimulated, etc. We are conditioned to believe that so much who we are, how competent we are, how worthwhile we are as people is tied to our weight. And it's such a part of us that most people don't realize.

Try this exercise: Every time you "feel fat" or "feel skinny" try to find other words to describe the feelings you are experiencing at the moment. Leave your body and food out of it. Focus on trying to appreciate or remedy those feelings rather than trying to change your body in order to change your feelings. See what happens.

I've been meaning to respond to this post for the longest time. Thank you, cassandra. It bothers me tremendously that so many of my feelings seem so tied into this.

cassandra

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 2:19 pm
It's easier to be frustrated with your body than it is to be frustrated with most other things in life because we believe we can easily change our bodies to look like we want them too, if only we had the "willpower". So some people look to their bodies as a way to gain a false sense of control over what is happening to them. Our struggle with food and weight becomes a microcosm for the rest of our struggles, and it's a nice coping tool except it doesn't work long term. It's hard to completely break out of that mentality, but once you have an awareness of the mentality and try to bring that awareness into your day to day goings on things improve a lot.

Quote:
It bothers me tremendously that so many of my feelings seem so tied into this.

Don't beat yourself up about it. That's part of the trap. Accept that this is who you are and there are things you can do to break out of it, and you will try your best to do so, because you have the desire to do what's best for yourself.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 2:58 pm
what I find fascinating is that for years I have been recovered from EDs behaviors and thoughts...I'll occasionally indulge in sweets and what not...it's not good if I do because sugar is bad for me, but I do occasionally. But this shabbos I ate chocolate cookies and chocolate must be really poisonous for me. First, as soon as the chocolate would wear off, I wanted more cookies and practically felt shaky cuz I wanted it. And then, chocolate makes me very anxious. (sugar does somewhat, but not to the extreme of chocolate). I started FEELING FAT!!! I hadn't felt this way in a very long time. I was like, "oh my goodness, I'm so fat, etc." I do not have distorted body image b'h anymore, and so I proceeded to undress myself and look at myself in a full length mirror and I was like "I am thin!!!" why do I feel fat? It was sooo bizarre. It was only after a day or so and the chocolate has worn off (and the cravings for more!) that I feel happy and normal again. So, for me, I have learned to get rid of fat, thin feelings, except for a fleeting second here or there I'll be like I"m so fat (if embarassed, hurt, etc) but then quickly dismiss it as nourishkeit. But as soon as I ate chocolate, my whole brain chemistry completely became distorted. Scary! Anyone else have sensitivities to food as extreme as I do in this way?

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 3:01 pm
I do know that if I eat poorly (I.e. junk food all day long) I feel pretty gross and yucky. When I eat normally I feel good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise