Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Is this really the largest family in the US?
1  2  3  Next

daisy

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 8:02 pm
Quote:

Ukrainian couple has 17th child, lays claim to largest US family Fri Dec 16,11:31 AM ET

SACRAMENTO, United States (AFP) - Complete with proud smiles and self-conscious glances, Vladimir and Zynaida Chernenko's seventeen children were introduced to the world.

Cradled delicately in Vladimir Chernenko's thick arms was his baby, David, whose birth on December 7 gave the Ukrainian-American family the largest brood in the United States, according to the Russian language newspaper The Speaker.

"When we got married back in the Ukraine, for six month we had no children and thought we wouldn't have any kids at all," Vladimir told reporters at a celebration in Bethany Slavic Missionary Church in Sacramento.

"I never thought I would have such a family."

Vladimir said he was serving in the Ukrainian army when his wife wrote in a letter that she was pregnant.

"I said how could this happen, me in the army and she is at home pregnant?" he recalled with a laugh. "I was young then and didn't take into account we had lived together a while."

The family emigrated and settled in California seven years ago, the couple said. Vladimir is a security and maintenance worker for a charter school and the family lives in a seven-room house in Sacramento.

"It's a lot of work, and we all get tired, and it's difficult from financial point of view," Zynaida Chernenko conceded when asked if having such a large family was difficult.

"But, we overcome the fear by looking forward to our children with love."

The children, the eldest of which is 22, share duties and responsibilities, with the older ones filling in for their parents at times, the mother said.

"It takes a great deal of work to raise all of the children, on each level," Vladimir said. "Education and upbringing plays a large role, but the most important thing is love and a big heart."

It also helps to have a 15-seat mini-van and a huge dinner table, the family confided.

"I talk to my friends, and they are worried their family has only one child or two," said 18-year-old Dimitry Chernenko. "They go home to nothing. I come home from school and I'm never bored. You always have something to do."

Part of that is by parental design, the mother explained, because she and her husband make certain the children keep busy with school, chores or other tasks.

"Our goal is to raise the children so when they grow up they will not be afraid of anything in life," Zynaida said. "I think if every family approaches it that way, we will have a very healthy society."

The siblings do not squabble about portion sizes, television channels or other matters because their dad has driven home the importance of putting aside selfishness in order to survive as a family, 17-year-old Anatoliy said.

"We sit all together, put out the food and eat like a regular family," said 16-year-old Lyudmila "Sometimes we wait for each other to finish, and then feed the little kids."

The father and mother said it was difficult to estimate how much they spend weekly on food, because the money goes out as quickly as it comes in.

"It's impossible to say how many diapers we've changed, because back in the Ukraine we didn't have those things," Vladimir said. "We used other means."

The huge family group appeared to be thrilled by the presence of reporters and the notion of being on the television news.

Two-year-old Timofey, however, napped in a sister's lap as the family fielded questions and posed for pictures.

"It's cool to be called the biggest family in America."

The couple expressed thanks for the support they have received from Russian and American business people, along with their church.

When asked whether David would be her last baby, Zynaida replied: "I can't say."

"I am grateful for all my children, my wonderful husband, my friends. And, I'd like to thank my doctor."

I can't imagine there aren't any frum families this large. The largest family I know has 15 children. Anyone know a larger family?

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 8:06 pm
I heard of a famiily in israel with 21 kids.

I know a family here in montreal with 16.

shoy18

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 8:08 pm
I know of a family with 21 children! KH

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 8:12 pm
Quote:
Anyone know a larger family?

You might iy"h in a few or more years Very Happy

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 8:19 pm
There is one here not much smaller.

deedee

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 8:53 pm
one here with 16! K'H

MMEC123

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 9:03 pm
I know a family with 21 kids, K"H. I know another family with 17, K"H. I'm sure there are others like that. I recently read about a senator (or some political figure) from Arkansas who just had his 16th (or was it 17th) child.

BlumaG

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 9:47 pm
I have heard of a family that gave birth to 22 kids but 2 passed away

Frumom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 10:07 pm
theres a family in Israel with 22 kids I believe, if not more.

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 10:10 pm
Frumom wrote:

I remember when Bambi Chalkowski was interviewed she mentioned that she knew that family and how unbelievable they were. She mentioned that she was the midwife for a number of the babies.

deedee

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 10:24 pm
Quote:

shock
and I'm trying to manage with just one!!!

daisy

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 11:04 pm
freilich wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know a larger family?

You might iy"h in a few or more years Very Happy

I think that would take a huge nes!

BTW,the article was specifically talking about the US.

Mandy

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 11:59 pm
you know it's all those fertile russians. Wink

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 8:25 am
Sara Lieberman of Crown Heights has 17 children.

Yedida Flint of Crown Heights, nee Schneersohn, formerly of Kfar Chabad, is one of 21 siblings (one passed away, maybe that would have made it 22)

someone said they once saw Mrs. Schneersohn davening at Kever Rochel, crying for a child as though she had none, I think the story was that her mother had passed away and she wanted a daughter to name after her mother, and she gave birth to her youngest after that

so for those who wonder if the later children are wanted, well, Mrs. Schneersohn wanted her very badly!

this Mrs. Schneersohn was once on an Israeli TV program with a few other women, and the audience was asked which woman did they think was the mother of 21 children, they did not guess her!

I met her years ago, with her youngest who was around 11 at the time, and she looked terrific.

MatzosMama

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 8:33 am
MMEC123 wrote:
I know a family with 21 kids, K"H. I know another family with 17, K"H. I'm sure there are others like that. I recently read about a senator (or some political figure) from Arkansas who just had his 16th (or was it 17th) child.

That is the Dugger Family and they just issued antoher one!!! I think that it might be twins with time. So I think that the count is up too 16 children....The way they run there home is AMAZING!!! shock

I can't even begin to think of whatthat would be like.....and I want a large family...... Rolling Eyes [/I]

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 9:55 am
MatzosMama wrote:
That is the Dugger Family and they just issued antoher one!!! I think that it might be twins with time.

and they homeschool! shock

here's a picture of mommy and her brood:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/96.....RL.1/

Quote:
Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter ā€œJā€: Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; Jackson Levi, 1; and now Johannah.

Bebe

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 10:57 am
I know a family of 21 and where I live there are a few with 16 and I come from a family of 15!

lucky

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 11:46 am
I know a woman with 16(#17 was stillborn. )
I know a woman with 18. One child has downs syndrome, and this woman is missing part of her right hand. Seeing her, you would never imagine that she is a mother that cooks, bakes, sews, blow dries her daughters hair, and all of this without full use of her right hand.

Where I live 11 kids is considered normal. Anything above 14 is considered a big family.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 2:16 pm
As far as I know, the Schneersons in Kfar Chabad have 25 children, not 22. There are a few other families I know with 16 or 17. Kol Hakavod to them. I have my hands full with only 3!

hisorerus

Post Sun, Dec 18 2005, 2:19 pm
I know a mother of 13- she said it only got easier after 3.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics