Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama Admits Muslim Faith
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:27 pm
He was speaking about allegations that he's a Muslim. The way he phrased it made total sense to me. I don't see it as an admission of anything.

Anyway, I'm just stunned. I thought even the most ardent Republicans here would find this stupid.

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:30 pm
Quote:
The debates are coming, and McCain isn't the most polished speaker. Will you be there, analyzing and picking on every slip, if there are any?

I might not watch the debates because I can't bear to listen to Obama's ums, uhs and stuttering between every word or two. It's just nerve wracking. I'd take McCain's "unpolished" speaking over his any time.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:31 pm
Maya wrote:
Quote:
The debates are coming, and McCain isn't the most polished speaker. Will you be there, analyzing and picking on every slip, if there are any?

I might not watch the debates because I can't bear to listen to Obama's ums, uhs and stuttering between every word or two. It's just nerve wracking. I'd take McCain's "unpolished" speaking over his any time.
Are you deliberately not getting my point? Will every slip of the tongue McCain or Palin make be as important and truthful as this one is, to you? Can we examine them in the same way?

eta: Please do not avoid answering this with another Obama insult. Just tell me you think all candidates can be examined in the same way.

Last edited by Clarissa on Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

princessleah

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:32 pm
This is ridiculous. Obama did NOT make a slip, as Clarissa pointed out, he was saying that McCain himself never referred to Obama as a Muslim. Stephanopoulos then said, "Christian faith" to correct him, which Obama did not even mean-- which he clarified. That McCain never referred to Obama as a Muslim.

The constant referrals to this lie is really getting to me. There is no basis that it is true, it is lashon harah and slander. I just find it ironic that many people who were so quick to defend the agriprocessors raid as an anti-semitic conspiracy can jump on the bandwagon when it's a DIFFERENT religious group involved. Show people the respect you expect to get yourself.

This is the last time I'm responding to this specific topic because it is not even worth going over and over, and it is wasting my time and emotional energy. If people do not believe the biggest newspapers and respected journalists in the world, and will instead rely on random emails from anonymous bigots, nothing I say will be able to convince you.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:33 pm
Aren't you glad you joined the board, princessleah?

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:37 pm
Still awaiting an answer from Maya, and anyone else who posted about this as an important and revealing moment.

Maybe we should look into Stephanopoulos, as it was actually his mistake.

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:39 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Maya wrote:
Quote:

Are you deliberately not getting my point? Will every slip of the tongue McCain or Palin make be as important and truthful as this one is, to you? Can we examine them in the same way?

eta: Please do not avoid answering this with another Obama insult. Just tell me you think all candidates can be examined in the same way.

I was just trying to make a lighthearted comment on this dumb thread we're posting on here.

And yes, every candidate can be examined and analyzed, and every slip-up can be argued over. It't what is done anyway, and this is probably the first of many from both candidates.

And notice that I said that this slip doesn't prove anything, and may be untrue.

Last edited by Maya on Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:41 pm
Okay, let's start with this one:

From NBC's Lindsey Pritzlaff and Lauren Appelbaum
While McCain was elaborating on the "stark differences" between his Democratic opponents' positions and his own, he slipped up.

"I'm a proud conservative liberal republic -- conservative Republican," he said.

After joining with the Richardson, Texas, crowd in hearty laughter, McCain went on to say what he initially meant.

"Hello, easy there," he said. "Let me say this. I am a proud conservative Republican and both of my possible or likely opponents are liberal Democrats."

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:42 pm
And then this one:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.....aeda/

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:44 pm
And here's one:

On March 13, FOX’s Sean Hannity interviewed John McCain. The interview started with questions about McCain’s time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. At one point, this was said:

HANNITY: You spent two years of this five-and-a-half-year period in solitary confinement. What does that do to a person, to spend that much time in solitary confinement?

MCCAIN: I think it makes you a better person. Obviously, it makes you love America. I really didn't love America until I was deprived of her company.

So McCain didn’t like America until he was a POW?

If you think I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill, Cindy McCain and FOX have attacked Michelle Obama in the past for saying: “for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.”

cassandra

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:45 pm
Clarissa wrote:
He was speaking about allegations that he's a Muslim. The way he phrased it made total sense to me. I don't see it as an admission of anything.

Anyway, I'm just stunned. I thought even the most ardent Republicans here would find this stupid.

I do. I cannot believe anyone even considers that a slip of the tongue. I got exactly what he was saying, and if Stephanopoulos hadn't rushed to correct him nobody would have made anything of it, and he wouldn't even let himself be corrected! This is idiocy.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:45 pm
Maya, here's another one:

Senator John S. McCain offered an apology in Cedar Falls today after he used the word “tar-baby” in response to a rather arcane question from an Iowa voter about federal intervention in divorce and custody cases. The phrase is considered by some to be a racial epithet.

In response to the question, Mr. McCain said that he was not going to take a position that it was proper “to declare divorces invalid because of someone who feels they weren’t treated fairly in court; we are getting into a tar-baby of enormous proportions and I don’t know how you get out of that.”

When told after the event that the word was viewed by some as a racial epithet, Mr. McCain responded: “I hope that it’s not viewed that way.” A moment later, he apologized. “I don’t think I should have used that word and I was wrong to do it.”

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:46 pm
Okay, Maya. We have the truth. McCain is a liberal racist who doesn't understand what's going on overseas, right? I mean, even you would have to say that after seeing these mistakes, right?

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:48 pm
Yoohoo, Maya. Here's another:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said “Iraq” on Monday when he apparently meant “Afghanistan”, adding to a string of mixed-up word choices that is giving ammunition to the opposition.

Just in the past three weeks, McCain has also mistaken "Somalia" for "Sudan," and even football’s Green Bay Packers for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ironically, the errors have been concentrated in what should be his area of expertise: foreign affairs.

McCain will turn 72 the day after Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) accepts his party’s nomination for president at the age of 47, calling new attention to the sensitive issue of McCain’s advanced age three days before the start of his own convention.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:49 pm
This is like shooting fish in a barrel!

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:49 pm
I believe you that there were other, possibly more significant, errors and slip-ups that McCain has made. I don't know why, but I haven't heard of the ones you brought up here. Maybe because it's not a hot issue, while some do think that Obama's Muslim background IS an issue and will constantly harp on it and look for any signs that might prove them right? I don't know.

Okay, let's analyze McCain's first mistake. Yes, he really is a "conservative liberal republic" and was hiding it until he let it slip! We now know that he is not the conservative Republican he claims to be.

cassandra

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:50 pm
I apologize for interrupting your rant with my post.

Maya

Oh, you're too quick for me. I'm still answering to your first one.

Clarissa

Maya wrote:
I believe you that there were other, possibly more significant, errors and slip-ups that McCain has made. I don't know why, but I haven't heard of the ones you brought up here. Maybe because it's not a hot issue, while some do think that Obama's Muslim background IS an issue and will constantly harp on it and look for any signs that might prove them right? I don't know.

Okay, let's analyze McCain's first mistake. Yes, he really is a "conservative liberal republic" and was hiding it until he let it slip! We now know that he is not the conservative Republican he claims to be.
I know. I actually enjoyed that one because everyone suspects he's a liberal. Poor guy. They get worse. And there are oodles of them out there. It's just too easy.

cassandra

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 6:51 pm
Are you feeling better now?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics