Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
This is hilarious!! (clips from Lipa etc.)
1  2  Next

hindyandrafi

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:45 pm
Fopr all you yiddish speakers.. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!!!

http://video.google.com/videop.....=lipa

Tovah

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:56 pm
so what is abi...?

supermommy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:59 pm
LOL LOL LOL
Rolling Laughter
Thanx! I enjoyed even though I only understood the english!

BlumaG

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:01 pm
v funny, so this guy is a real singeR?

nobody28

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:03 pm
Abi melebt - I don't speak yiddish but my husband said it's something like "as long as I'm alive"

Lipa Schmeltzer - real singer - beautiful voice.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 4:33 pm
Its very cute, My son loves dancing to it. he likes to copy all of lipas acyions.

lipa became popular the last yr or two.

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 6:20 pm
nobody28 wrote:
Abi melebt - I don't speak yiddish but my husband said it's something like "as long as I'm alive"

Lipa Schmeltzer - real singer - beautiful voice.

nobody hubby correct on that. Thumbs Up

shaina punim

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 6:58 pm
my kids loved it.it was really cute

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 4:03 pm
thanks for posting this!

someone had sent it to me in an email and I never opened it, afraid to

lipa is a tremendous hit and not only among chasidishe people

his "Gelt" song - also Yiddish, (cute video too) was a smash hit

he's a badchan which means he sings in Yiddish rhyme about a chasan and kalla and their family at weddings for a small fortune, and he also performs occasionally in concert

his Rebbe guides him and the reason these videos were made is because he won't perform live in front of a mixed audience like at the Hasc concert

he is extremely talented, his "L'eila u'l'eila" tape is gorgeous (all chasidic tunes) as are a few other earlier ones of his

by the way, anybody know the original tune of A Bi B'Lebt?

Hint: it's NOT Lion King Wink

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 8:27 pm
Quote:
his Rebbe guides him and the reason these videos were made is because he won't perform live in front of a mixed audience like at the Hasc concert

I don't want to be judgemental of him, and it is respectful that he doesnt sing in mixed groups, but I went to his concert on pesach 2 years ago..there were men and ladies there..

here is a link to the gelt one:

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 9:42 pm
Rochel Leah wrote:
I went to his concert on pesach 2 years ago..there were men and ladies there..

sitting together (family seating) or in separate sections?

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Dec 23 2005, 12:02 am
He dosent sing when the boys and girls are mixed.. he will however sing when there is a mechitza..
the kids go crazy as soon as they only see him..

Rochel Leah

Post Fri, Dec 23 2005, 8:33 am
Motek wrote:
Rochel Leah wrote:
I went to his concert on pesach 2 years ago..there were men and ladies there..

sitting together (family seating) or in separate sections?

thinking back I think there were seperate sections..I didn't know hasc had mixed seating..

well that's really admirable of Lipa. he could so easily do it and make alot of monaey but he stands by his principles!

technic

Post Fri, Dec 23 2005, 9:06 am
del

Last edited by technic on Wed, Dec 28 2005, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

hindyandrafi

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 9:18 am
Someone told me that he was sent to Cheirem by the Satmars or the Scqvere!!!! But I love his music!@!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 9:21 am
He is very talented 8) did you see his ad on the hasc website, it's a riot Tongue Out had us all bawling our eyes out. LOL

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 9:37 am
Rochel Leah wrote:
thinking back I think there were seperate sections..I didn't know hasc had mixed seating..

they have both, separate seating and family seating

Quote:
well that's really admirable of Lipa. he could so easily do it and make alot of monaey but he stands by his principles!

yup, he has turned down lucrative offers

technic wrote:
The song was first recorded by its writer, Solomon Linda, and his group, The Evening Birds, in 1939 under the title "Mbube".

Quote:
Its original title was “Mbube,” (pronounced EEM-boo-beh) which means “Lion,” and it was sung with a haunting Zulu refrain that sounded, to English-speaking people, like “wimoweh.” “Mbube” was a big hit in what is now Swaziland; it sold nearly 100,000 copies in the 1940s by its originator, South African Solomon Linda. Linda had written it based on a boyhood experience chasing lions that were stalking the family's cattle, and recorded the tune in 1939 with his group the Evening Birds. It was so popular that Zulu choral music became known as “Mbube Music”. Then it passed into the broad field of “folk” music, albeit by an indirect route. The South African recording company sent it along with some other 78s to Decca Records in the U.S. Decca wasn't interested, but folk historian and musicologist Alan Lomax was. He took the records to Pete Seeger, of the American folk group the Weavers. Seeger was enchanted by “Mbube”, especially the refrain which sounded to him like “awimbooee” or “awimoweh” (it was actually “uyimbube” in Zulu). The Weavers (led by Gordon Jenkins' Orchestra) adapted it into a Top 15 hit in 1952, as “Wimoweh”. It was basically an instrumental with the group singing “wimoweh” over and over, with other vocal flourishes. The tune really took off in the Weavers' live version at Carnegie Hall in 1957.

BlumaG

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 11:39 am
wat is the hasc website? my inalws n whole fmaily are loving his music n videos

lucky

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 11:43 am
I heard his latest tape kanayinhora. I thought someone actually put on the radio. Mad His songs don't seem yiddish at all. Maybe I am old fasioned, but I don't think there is much to be gained by listening to his tapes, or watching his videos. Maybe it is preferable for people who would otherwise listen to non jewish artists.

mommy4

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 11:54 am
Lucky, I had the same response.

At first when I saw yiddish, I thought might be nice to show my kids but after I saw it, realized it´s not what I want my kids to hear.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links