Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Erev and motzei yom kippur

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 11:26 am
You have to serve three meals then too. Not just on r"h and succos. What will you be serving?

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 1:42 pm
No idea! But I would like to hear some ideas. This is my first year doing it. I'm thinking we should go to the in-laws after the fast...

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 3:53 pm
We don’t eat meat then, so usually I buy smoked turkey drumsticks and pop them in the oven with water to make it hot. It is sweet and heavenly. Also, I try to make challah that day so we have fresh challah, fresh chicken soup, meat kreplach, and those turkey drumsticks. With a kugel, who needs more.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 3:57 pm
Yom Kippur by us is very simple. The first meal is challah, fish, soup, bought kreplach, kugel and chicken from the soup or on top. The second meal is challah, soup, chicken, farfel, kugel and that's it. maybe compote too.

After the fast my parents have the same. challah, fish, soup etc.. It's a little heavy but after cake, challah and fish we usually take a break. When we are hungry again we have soup etc..

Most people, though, make light things for after a fast. Salad, pasta, fish maybe.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 2:07 pm
Does anyone know the source(s) for no fish on seuda hamafseket? Is this a minhag?
(Actually my SIL always serve morroccan fish pre-fast...)

I have a number of non-meat/poultry eaters (but who eats fish), so was thinking of
serving fish. Any vegetarian/fish-tarian alternatives for protein?

gmar chatima tova.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 2:14 pm
I believe there are two reasons not to eat fish. The first being that fish tends to be salty and will make you thirsty hours later. The second (I believe) stemming from the fact that fish has small bones and one can chas vishalom choke before they are forgiven for their sins.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 2:16 pm
Fabulous wrote:
The second (I believe) stemming from the fact that fish has small bones and one can chas vishalom choke before they are forgiven for their sins.

Yes, now THAT rings a bell. Thanks!

justmom

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 2:23 am
We find that soup is filling temporarily, but not really long term so we do more challa, chicken, potatoes, noodles, rice,-- are you getting the drift-- and of course homemade kreplach which we broil in oil-- yay, carbs and fat-- sticks to the ribs!! For after it's always, potato soup (this year made it creamy and froze it) and bread-- this year I'm using leftover bread to make a "srata"-- bread and cheese and milk and egg casserole-- and then I'm starting my diet again!!!

bubs

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 8:09 am
Before the fast, we eat a basic meal. Chicken soup, some light chicken like scallopini, mashed potatoes and some veggies. Need some carbs to fill us up. After the fast, we have coffee and sponge cake- very light cuz we are not great fasters. If we feel great, we have something milchig later. Have a n easy fast and a gmar tov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus