Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What do YOU think? (Chanuka Xmas style)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you think it's great (Chanuka Xmas style)?
I love it!  
 8%  [ 7 ]
Inappropriate  
 61%  [ 49 ]
Mixed Feelings  
 23%  [ 19 ]
No Comment  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 80

hisorerus

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 4:26 pm
see next post

(I've added to the poll options - mod)

hisorerus

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:00 pm

Disclaimer (of course): Nothing at all to do with the wonderful people who put it up. I personally don't like it, though. What do YOU think?

SMG

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:02 pm
I'm sure that has to be hidur mitzvah on pirsumay nisah, right? Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:03 pm
Past nisht, a copy cat idea Rolling Eyes Can't we come up w/h something more original and Jewish. Might as well decorate the tree with menorahs and dreidels I see no difference.

I'm on anon b/c officialy I'm not supposed to be on Tongue Out

shayna82

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:05 pm
my grandmother lives very close to that house. she is not frum, but conservative. im sure she saw it, and im sure it made a good impression on her.

whats not to like, if thats the way they show that they are proud to be keeping/celebrating the holiday of chanuka, they should only get respect from us!

to each their own

goldrose

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:16 pm
If it's minhag hagoyim, it's not for us. Even if it's klipas nogah. I don't think we're meant to elevate those lights.

While we're at it, aren't presents minhag hagoyim also? I think the concept of presents has been integrated into Judaism for so long that people don't even realize! Chanukah gelt, yes. Presents? Um, I don't think so.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:19 pm
Reminds me of the Chanuka Bush.

Ozmom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:25 pm
well yeah um sure it looks cool but in my daughters words when I she saw it " but....I saw people doing to their houses for chratzmach"

from the mouth of babes.

sorry but I don't think we should be copying the goyshe style for our yidishe yomim toivim
don't we have enough beauty in what we do without that?
I think its giving fuel to the non jews to say that we copied them

shaina punim

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 7:56 pm
I liek it but I would never do it in my home, I do decrete r kitchen(where we light the menorah) with decorations, and it makes such a big diffrence,the kids love it

roza

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 9:46 pm
Quote:
Past nisht, a copy cat idea Rolling Eyes Can't we come up w/h something more original and Jewish.

one of the shluchim here sell huge inflatable menorah

http://www.chabadcenter.com/te.....31835

I think it's better, then lights

miriam

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 10:02 pm
I am not sure why but it rubs me the wrong way. I see chratmach lights before I see that it has a Chanukah theme.

chanala

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 10:05 pm
Tacky!!!!!!!!!!!!

<--------- My son's expression says it all!!! Tongue Out

Just more light pollution, IMHO.

Save it for the sukkah! (BTW, this is the time to save big on sukkah lights! Wink )

willow

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 2:58 am
cute picture 8)

STRONGMOM

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 5:25 am
I love it! Its a great idea.

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 7:06 am
I guess Im mixed because on the one hand we need to be out there and PROUD, wearing our yiddishe garb, keeping our beards (well not us ladies:), and for that reason I like people placing pictures of our Rebbe outside their house or having Mashiach flags in their front driveway etc however my mixed feelings seep in, a little, when I think of the non jewish manner that they decorate their homes for krutsmach and I dont like sharing any association. I realy am torn on this one. However I guess if I know that it was a frum yiddishe home displaying like that I possibly would be okay with it as opposed to reform yidden. Now that is not a good enough reason and I guess based on that reason I would have to be Ok with it? This is a hard one.

binah918

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 7:41 am
I agree with LubavLeah...it's a tough question.

My immediate reaction: I don't like it one bit.

Without a doubt, it immediately looks like the house is decorated for Xmas. And especially with the timing this year, (depending on the location, I.e. if the house is in a mixed or non-Jewish community), it may well seem that the house is just getting in the (Xtian) holiday spirit with the other homes on the block. I have problems with this for so many reasons. One important reason is chinuch. Jewish children in the home or community shouldn't have the desire to copy Xtian traditions in order to better enjoy their own Jewish holidays. They should find their own special way of celebrating and "advertising" their Jewishness in a strong and proud, but tznius and uniquely Jewish way.

That said, especially if the owners are not frum, this may be a beautiful way that they connect to Yiddishkeit and stand proud in their Jewish identity. So then what? We should not only excuse them for this, but awe should applaud them for being so outwardly Jewish in a world that is so Xtain.

Mandy

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 10:47 am
I love it. Where can I get those ? I have been looking for that stuff for a while...

adorable

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 11:19 am
I don't really like the idea.
there are so many other "cute" stuff to do.
there are inflatable dreidels and menorah...
my brother in law in shlichus once put up a whole display of dolls, that moved and were lighting a menorah, playing dreidel....
IMHO, lights like that will always remind me of X-mas.

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 12:27 pm
Hmmmmm....
Believe me, the whole chanuka gift giving is also a copycat thing.

cindy324

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 3:02 pm
HMMMM.... Scratching Head
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics