Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Liver

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 8:31 am
I took our raw liver to roast from the freezer and it turned a very dark brown almost black colour.

anyone know why?? it smells ok....

bubby

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 8:58 am
Is it chicken liver or beef? If it's beef, it is always that color. Cut into it, it should be a reddish-black color & nice & wobbly, like a solid jello! LOL BTW, never Kasher beef liver in 1 big lump, slice it (not very thin or it'll burn), or it's not Kashered properly all the way through. When it's kashered, it should be a grayish-brown. But if you're not sure, don't take a chance, throw it. You can get VERY sick from liver that's "off." Even if it doesn't smell bad, it can be potentially very harmful.

Do you remember what it looked like before you froze it? How long was it frozen? I NEVER use beef any more, I only use chicken livers, it's safer & easier to see if there's a problem.

How do I know all this? My father was a butcher Smile

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:01 am
how long was it in the freezer ... sometimes that happens to my meat if in the deep freeze too long ... I guess one of the reasons I don't freeze stuff ...

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:04 am
bubby

1. it's chicken liver's I only use chicken livers.

2 when I bought it it was reddish brown

2 it was in the freezer for about a month I think max 6 weeks...

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 10:15 pm
I threw mine away, I froze the extras before Pesach and I didn’t like the look of it.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 1:31 pm
I wanted to buy liver in the supermarket but I have no clue what to do with it. It comes already kashered.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 1:59 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:
I wanted to buy liver in the supermarket but I have no clue what to do with it. It comes already kashered.

Fry onions, cut liver into small pieces, mix it in, add salt pepper (sugar), and cook another five minutes.

goodheart

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 2:06 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:

u saute a bunch of onions then add galic powder ,salt ,black pepper,little chicken soup mix, paprika,then add the liver then add a little water cook alittle on a low flame till water cooks out a little keep mixing it.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 3:51 pm
The longer you cook the liver in the onions, the harder it gets. Once the onions are done, just add in it for a mere few minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics