Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Homade Bird from eggshell to hang in succah

Hello Kitty

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 11:37 am
Like our bubbies use to make for years how do I make one? 8) 8) 8)

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 11:39 am
I don't know what your Bubbie made, but to empty out the egg from the shell (I thought eggs are crazy expensive these days) poke a tiny hole in either end of the egg using a needle. Blow the inside out and make scrambled eggs with it. You can try and wash out the interior. Paint the outside and glue on feathers?

Hello Kitty

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 11:53 am
Tamiri wrote:
I don't know what your Bubbie made, but to empty out the egg from the shell (I thought eggs are crazy expensive these days) poke a tiny hole in either end of the egg using a needle. Blow the inside out and make scrambled eggs with it. You can try and wash out the interior. Paint the outside and glue on feathers?
how do I hang it

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:18 pm
Off the top of my head I would say thread a piece of fishing string (that plastic string) through one end and out the other, knotting on both sides to secure it. So, the pointy and wide end of the egg will be north and south and the round part of the egg will be east and west, where you should glue the wings. Does that sound right?
You can also affix a pipe cleaner to the top of the bird, on the outside, with good glue. But that may run if it rains. Heck, the whole thing may run if it rains...

Hello Kitty

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:20 pm
The whole thing sounds pretty complicated no wonder no one does it anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:23 pm
My sister and I used to do it. We had more time back then. Maybe 30 years ago. I had not thought about this in years. And yes, we had plenty of cracked empty eggshells.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:23 pm
try hot gluing a pipe cleaner to your birdie ...

Last edited by greenfire on Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hello Kitty

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:29 pm
Yes those olden days!!! Today everything has to come with a pattern precut. how many teenagers know how to make stars with no pattern today?! way back who didnt! Tongue Out Tongue Out

bubs

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:52 am
This certainly brings back great memories. We had lots of omelettes then. Anyhow, just poke very gently but with a very sharp needle and blow slowly. We made the wings out of foil paper nice and shiny, in accordion style. To hang, just thread wire through your holes. Maybe I'll try it this year with the grandkids. Thanks for the reminiscing.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 7:30 am
aw! we did that in 8th grade for succos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics