Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Kesher or East Hill in Englewood?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 3:59 pm
Has anyone heard of these shuls? They were suggested to us because we're looking into moving to Englewood.

What are these shuls like? What's the community like in general? Are there other shuls?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 5:44 pm
Kesher is the shul for the Tenafly community (and part of the Englewood one). It has a FANTASTIC rabbi, Jeff Fox. It is a modern Orthodox community, located in a gorgeous area with lots of beautiful houses, near the Teaneck community (with many kosher restaurants). The shoprite in Englewood carries many kosher products as well as kosher sushi. It's a great community.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:32 pm
amother, thank you for the information. Do you live there or just visited and feel this way? I would love an opinion of someone who actually lives there. Is it a warm community? Does it depend on the shul?

Tapuzi

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 5:51 pm
My best friend lives in Englewood. East Hill is the fanciest area of Englewood and not known to be very warm. Kesher is supposed to be very nice and warm as it is a smaller, newer community.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 10:55 pm
I live in the Teaneck area. I have friends in the Tenafly community. I think it's fantastic. I suggest that if you are thinking of moving there, call Rabbi Fox and ask about Shabbat hospitality. Then you'll get a sense of the community.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 12:31 pm
Tapuzi wrote:
East Hill is the fanciest area of Englewood and not known to be very warm.

I belong to East Hill -- Tapuzi, that is not accurate.

All of Englewood is expensive, as is Tenafly. I don't think there are meaningful differences in that regard.

Englewood has 3 shuls: Ahavas Torah, Shomrei Emunah, and East Hill.

Kesher is in Tenafly, (a less Jewish area--they had a major battle to put an eruv up), and is not walkable from most of Englewood.

East Hill has an amazing, amazing AMAZING young rabbi, Rabbi Reichman. He and his wife are very into outreach and education, and extremely warm and welcoming. I find him and his family to be quite inspirational.
Some member families have been in Englewood for generations and are maybe more cliquish than others if that is what your friend experienced--that happens in all established communities. But that is not everyone!-There are a variety of different people and we find it a very warm place.

Shomrei's rabbi is Rabbi Genack of the OU. He and his congregation are also warm and friendly, and very learned. We like it a lot but the people are much older, without many young children.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Ahavas Torah. It many times larger than the others, and most people belong there. They have a variety of minyanim.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 3:47 pm
OP, I'm just bumping this to make sure you read my last post! I don't want you left with misinformation about the town.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating