Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Food ideas for a 7 month old

curlytop

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 9:56 am
OK so my baby starting loving food, problem is she doesnt like any jars or cereal... so I am having a hard time with meal ideas, especially for the babysitter.
She loves cherios, kix, pretzels, that type, but is that enough for her??
I give her soup veggies in the evening, but in the morning she looks like she wants to sit down to a meal and I have no idea what to give her.. she doesnt go for mashed bananas...she likes to feed herself already but I am nervous to give her anything too big since she has no teeth yet.
Can anyone help me out here?

Marion

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:02 am
Ripe bananas are soft; you can give them to her in small pieces. Cheerios you already mentioned. French toast (if you know she has no egg allergy), or just plain soft bread. Very well cooked pasta. Cooked (softened) fruit...peaches, apples, pears. Again, if you're CERTAIN there's no egg problem, you could give a hard boiled egg, or an omelet cut into small pieces. If dairy is OK for her there is soft cheese (I'm thinking the triangles, not the stuff like feta or brie!).

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 4:14 pm
she doesn't need teeth to chew!
give her a cheerio, bread, things that can melt in her mouth, and see how she deals with it. She may just suck on it. But if you watch, you may see her chewing. Then you know she knows what to do. give things that are broken up small enough, and let her learn.

For breakfast I give DD a "bowl of cereal & milk" using cheerios and fomula.

Last night we had pasta & meat sauce for supper. I put it in mini chopper. It was liked tiny pieces. she loved it!

she eats chicken broken up into small pieces. I normally mix it with veges from soup.

On YT she tried alot of new things. she had sauteed zucchini, shepherds pie, gefilte fish,

does she eat bread? you can smear things on bread.

curlytop

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 9:09 pm
Thanks for both your answers,
So I gave her an egg for supper tonight, she kinda half ate it.. with like 3 million cheerios, her fav.
Then when you pick her outta the high chair you find all the food you thought went down Rolling Eyes

YALT how old is your baby??
I know she doesnt need teeth to chew, my son didnt get any teeth til 14 months and he managed just fine. I do give her cheerios, bread etc but I feel like I should be giving her something more filling..

NativeMom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 9:25 pm
I used to make vegetable barley soup and blend it

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:07 pm
it's good I read this thread. My 7 month old dd looooves to eat regular food, as well as nurse, and I am running out of ideas too! I did NOT know they don't need teeth to chew! yay, so that means I can try dheerios and stuff like that? I am always very nervous!
I usually give her soups, mashed fruit, chicken soup with veggies and teeny pieces of chicken..

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:16 pm
curlytop wrote:
YALT how old is your baby??
I know she doesnt need teeth to chew, my son didnt get any teeth til 14 months and he managed just fine. I do give her cheerios, bread etc but I feel like I should be giving her something more filling..

She'll be 8 months next week.
I learnt from my first. He got his first tooth at 18 months - not kidding! Teething from 3 months, but no show! The dr said as long as you see that he can chew his food, give him. It will improve his eating, and he can try new textures.

curlytop

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:22 pm
Well, I havent tried chicken yet.. I dunno why... I see you guys with the same age kids have...
I bought this little baggie in Target for $5.99 that you can put food in and they can suck out the juices and stuff without having to worry about the big pieces...I forgot what its called..havent tried it yet though

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:36 pm
yeah, those are good. but they can get quite messy! My son loved it. My daughter didn't.
There are 2 companies that have them. try to get the one that has replacement meshes. It makes it easier to keep from kid to kid.
For DS, he lived on it the whole summer. Everything went in. peaches, plums, apples, grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe,
you can even put in softened (cooked) veges (sw. potato, carrots, etc....)

greentiger

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 10:24 am
Good stuff. Keep the ideas coming!

greentiger

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 6:51 am
NativeMom wrote:
I used to make vegetable barley soup and blend it

Thank you for this great idea. I made a mushroom barley soup and my picky 10 month old loves it. I didn't blend it though since she likes when there are pieces to touch... Rolling Eyes

drumjj

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 7:15 am
you can make things with mince meat, like meat balls esp if they have had egg, or with mince chicken etc. def pasta, baked potato and cheese if they can have dairy if not just baked potato with chicken or mince meat. u can also make stuff with fish cant u. or salmon and mix it with vegetables like a bake or something? I used to make chicken and fish mixed with vegetables I never mushed too small otherwise they dont learn to eat for ages if its all totally mushed and smooth.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 8:59 am
I found this article very helpful. From a top nutrition teacher and cookbook author.

http://www.rwood.com/Articles/.....s.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics