Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Low carb dinner ideas

mom07

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 5:36 pm
Does a/o have any good low/no carb dinner ideas? For mains I do chicken/fish/meat but I'm having a hard time with the sides. I do a lot of squash, but were starting to get bored of it...

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 5:39 pm
good old bare salad should do the trick. if you want a prettier salad so you don't get bored, try this:

orange, red, yellow, and green peppers
red radish
grape tomatoes
I put whole corn kernels on top for the prettiness, but I guess you don't want corn

the colors are really beautiful together, it cheers up a table.

mom07

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 5:45 pm
I forgot to mention that we also have a salad at every meal (that is beside the side dish)

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 5:51 pm
oh. aha. um...

how about some fruit? I don't know carb values, but I know some are better than others. how about steamed veggies?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 5:52 pm
btw, when I make dinner I try for a protein, a veggie, and a carb. why not just make the protein and salad? you don't need an extra side dish.

Lani22

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 5:54 pm
I cut out our carb side dish a long time ago. Now I serve a fresh tossed salad using diff vegies and lettuces for variaty and a cooked vegetable like roasted cauliflower, steamed broccoli, roasted eggplant, cooked greenbenas with almonds, sauteed carrots, sauteed cabbage......

a1mom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:17 pm
zucchini in tomatoe sauce
oven grilled veggies- zucchini, red onion, mushrooms, peppers= slice, spray with oil sprinkle salt and parsley flakes, spread in single layer bake @400 till desired doneness,can even turn on broiler for 2 min at end to get browning
stir fry veggies
start with a veggie soup

sbs

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 8:30 pm
lots of good ideas were given for cooked veggies, I also do a lot of stir fries with fresh veggies, I.e. green beans, snow peas, mushrooms, onions, red pepper and put on some soy sauce, or I do mushrooms, onions, and frozen french cut green beans.
you could use cauliflower like potatoes, roast it, mash it, or even make latkes from it.
if you'll use a drop of w/w flour you could make latkes out of cabbage, or zucchini, you just have to squeeze out all the water from the zucchini, and add some flour to hold it together, eggs, and spices.
spaghetti squash could be used instead of spaghetti, in a lukshen kugel, or with sauce and cheese or plain sauce.

Shimmysmom

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 10:01 am
dh is on a low carb diet. I find that it is easier in the winter because I can make a big batch of pureed soup/ various other types of soup and stock my freezer.
soup is very filling, healthy, low cal and carb and after a big bowl of soup we don't need anything other than a protein and a salad.
other than that I make a lot of what was already suggested: green beans, cauliflower, baby carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, sugar snap peas...
im always looking for new recipies- keep em coming!

LaLaLand

Post Fri, Nov 21 2008, 12:46 pm
Be careful with green beens, sugar snap peas, and baby carrots. The first two are counted as carbs, and carrots are a high carb vegetable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus