Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How old was you child when you moved them to a bed and why
1  2  Next

how old was you child when you moved them to a bed and why
18 month  
 14%  [ 8 ]
2 years  
 25%  [ 14 ]
2 1/2  
 32%  [ 18 ]
 28%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 56

Classicookie

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 9:43 am
My plan is to move zahava into a bed between now and jan (she will turn 2 then)
I am moving her bec I want time to settle and adgust her to a bed before having a baby I want her to feel this is for her not bec I want the crib my neice is in a bed she is a little over 2 she moved in a long time ago bec she wanted to now whenever we are there zahava runs in and lays down and smiles so I think she like having a bed and if a close her door she cant rome my house if she dose get out of bed

shoy18

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 9:48 am
I moved ds because he was going to be 3 and still slept in a crib and I didn't think it was necessary anymore, he never tried to climb out or anything so I never had a reason to do, just figured he was getting a bit old.

cubbie

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 10:25 am
I moved dd1 when she was almost 2 1/2 because I needed the crib for the baby. She was 2.2 when dd2 was born, dd2 spent 3 months in the bastinet crib and then got too big for it. First I put dd1 in a toddler bed for a week and kept the crib empty then I moved dd2 into the crib, once dd1 was used to sleeping in the bed. Because the crib was empty for a week, she didn't see it as giving up the crib for her sister.

Abi Meleibt

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 10:47 am
same here I moved my DD when she was 20 mths cuz I needed the crib for the baby. I put a safety gate for the first few months, she felt so big and it worked out great!

PIP

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 12:50 pm
18 months- only because she was climbing out and only wanted to sleep w\ her sisters! Someone told me to get a tent, but I feel like it's a jail and couldn't bring myself to do it. My other kids were all about 2 when they started climbing out.

chanagital

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 1:26 pm
My kids moved to the floor after the crib because I wasn't gonna push a bed when they fell out of their crib. I provided a toddler bed with bedding but also provided a mattress with appropriate bedding on the ground. I moved them because they kept climbing out of the crib falling on the floor and it scared me. With my first two children they moved out when my baby was also ready to move into the crib. My last baby moved out of the crib only because he kept on climbing out of it. Now he is on the mattress. When my kids are ready they move to the bed on their own.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 1:35 pm
Did any of you find that your child wouldn't stay in bed for naptime or bedtime? I'm hesitant to move my almost 3 year old child to a bed because she is so strong-willed, and I could see her refusing to stay in it.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 1:39 pm
I don't remember the exact ages, but I moved them when they were able to climb out or when I had another baby that needed to go in.

cubbie

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 3:04 pm
momagain wrote:
Did any of you find that your child wouldn't stay in bed for naptime or bedtime? I'm hesitant to move my almost 3 year old child to a bed because she is so strong-willed, and I could see her refusing to stay in it.

At almost 3 naptime was long forgotten so that wasn't an issue, for nightime I've always been very strict about bedtime and staying in bed, dd only gets out to go to the bathroom, and even that she calls me to tell me that she's going to make.

red sea

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 3:39 pm
mom2zahava wrote:
I am moving her bec I want time to settle and adgust her to a bed before having a baby I want her to feel this is for her not bec I want the crib my neice is in a bed she is a little over 2 she moved in a long time ago bec she wanted to now whenever we are there zahava runs in and lays down and smiles so I think she like having a bed and if a close her door she cant rome my house if she dose get out of bed

your plan is exactly my opin. on the topic Wink

goodheart

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 3:44 pm
mom2zahava wrote:

I did the same thing with my dd she was like 2 and it was the best thing she felt like a big
girl and she was very happy. even though she was very "J" when I had the baby
keep talking to her about the baby (talking from exp.)

catonmylap

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 1:18 am
No plans yet.

No signs of climbing out of the crib, and no little one to take over his crib on the way yet.

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 4:58 am
DS#1 was just over 2 when he got his bed, but he'd been out of the crib since 21 months. DS#2 was born when he was 20 months, but we put him in the playpen in the other room. Then we travelled to my parents, who didn't have a crib at all, so DS#1 slept on a mattress on the floor next to me. (He'd been sleeping on a mattress at daycare for almost a year at that point anyway.) When we came home the crib was gone from his room, and he slept on a double mattress (2 mattresses piled up) on his floor until his bed arrived. A week after he got his bed we put the crib up for the baby.

sarahd

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 5:12 am
My son was over three when he finally moved into a bed, mostly because we just didn't get around to buying him a bed till then. His crib came with two removable bars which we took out when he was about two, so he was able to get out of bed when he wanted/needed to. (He knew that if he got out of bed when he wasn't supposed to the bars would go back in.)

MidwestMommy

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 8:40 pm
My dd was just over 2 when we moved her from a crib to a toddler bed. I had been wondering what we were going to do, b/c I was already pregnant with ds, but she answered for me- she started climbing out of her crib so that was that. B"H we didn't have any problems with her getting out of bed in the middle of the night (that was a big concern for me, too) . She still calls for us if she needs something.

Miss Missie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:29 pm
MidwestMommy wrote:
My dd was just over 2 when we moved her from a crib to a toddler bed. I had been wondering what we were going to do, b/c I was already pregnant with ds, but she answered for me- she started climbing out of her crib so that was that. B"H we didn't have any problems with her getting out of bed in the middle of the night (that was a big concern for me, too) . She still calls for us if she needs something.

I'm thinking of getting a toddler bed for my 2.5 yr old. Are you happy with it? Until what age can they use it?

MidwestMommy

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 10:39 pm
I'm actually quite happy with ours. It was handed down from a cousin, otherwise I'm not sure that I would have thought to get it myself. Now that we have one, though, it's great. The one we have fits a standard size twin mattress and is low to the ground. We still have guardrails up (just in case) but at this point and in that bed they are probably unnecessary.

anonymom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 11:16 pm
My 2 and a quarter year old is still in a porta-crib sized crib, which he just started climbing out of, and he is almost a long as it. He is happy to go to sleep in it, but is so proud that he learned to climb out. He comes out of his room and announces "I woke up!" I had been wondering why it took him so long to climb out. Until this week, he would just lay there. He loves to be cozy. Anyway, a couple of times he asked to sleep in a bed, there's an unused one in his room. I told him, when you make #2 in the toilet, you can sleep in a bed. So far it hasn't worked.

teachkids

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:03 am
Both my kids climbed out of the crib just after their second birthdays so into a bed they went

happy7

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:06 am
When they can climb out, but can’t climb back in, I switch to a bed.

Also, when I have a place to put the bed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics