Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Eggplant allergy or sensitivity?

Seraph

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:01 am
I remember uriel once having eggplant and his face becoming red after. Then I'm pretty sure he had it again without a reaction.
Two days ago (in the afternoon) uriel had marinated baby eggplants and his face immediately turned bright red, I'm assuming everywhere that was touched by the eggplant. And he badly needed a drink...
Yesterday evening his diaper area was covered in bright red, that went away by the morning.
This is likely an eggplant allergy? Or sensitivity?
Whats the difference?
If its just a sensitivity, can it cause worse and worse symptoms with exposure?
Do I have to be extra careful that he doesnt get exposed to eggplant, or just chill but try not to give it to him?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:04 am
I'd ask his pediatrician. He's pretty little, and you don't want to make things worse.

I'm allergic to eggplant. I developed the allergy in my mid-20's, after being able to eat it for years, with no side-effect but a little itchiness in my mouth. Then it got severe for a while, I got really sick, and I've avoided it ever since. I don't know if I'm still as allergic today, but I won't eat it and find out.

pecan

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:07 am
Is he swollen too? You should ask your pediatrician to refer you to an allergist? Some allergies can be outgrown - but the more you have it the worse the allergy gets. No exposure is best at this point. My sister was allergic to peanuts and my mother still gave her peanut butter. Eventually, she almost died because the allergy worsened.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:14 am
interesting screen name pecan Smile

Anyway, dh has LOTS of allergies. Re. eggplant, he can eat it if it's been cooked - WELL DONE. Meaning, if I make eggplant salad where it's been cooked through and through and then mashed or whatever, he can have it. But other eggplant dishes where the eggplant is raw - like with pickling, or just eggplant that's not cooked enough affect him.

I would def. talk to his ped. and not give Uriel any more eggplant. Why even bother? It's not like milk or wheat, it's a food that isn't a basic one. Allergies can be serious and they can get worse if the child shows and allergy and keeps being exposed.

Inspired

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 10:21 am
Clarissa wrote:
I'd ask his pediatrician. He's pretty little, and you don't want to make things worse.

I'm allergic to eggplant. I developed the allergy in my mid-20's, after being able to eat it for years, with no side-effect but a little itchiness in my mouth. Then it got severe for a while, I got really sick, and I've avoided it ever since. I don't know if I'm still as allergic today, but I won't eat it and find out.

I get that itchy mouth from eggplant too. Unless I salt it.
I developed an egg allergy in my 20s. I thought I was the only one like that.

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 10:33 am
I also get that from eggplant. when my kids were little they both got red blotches from eggplant and tomato but have grown out of it now

debsters1101

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 10:36 am
keep in mind that eggplant is majorly acidic (I know this from when it... reappeared in my early stages of pregnancy. I have never felt so much pain before) so it could be that. but definitely steer clear until you talk to his dr

Seraph

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 11:08 am
debsters1101 wrote:
keep in mind that eggplant is majorly acidic (I know this from when it... reappeared in my early stages of pregnancy. I have never felt so much pain before) so it could be that. but definitely steer clear until you talk to his dr
he doesnt get any reaction to anything with vinegar, lemon, tomatoes, citrus, etc... only eggplant. so I'm not sure its the acidity...

mamacita

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 4:09 pm
I also get itchiness from eggplant. Something to keep in mind is that peppers, tomatoes, are in the same family (and some other things that I can't remember and I'm too lazy to google, even for you Seraph!)

Try and remember specifics about what the red looked like. A rash? Hives? splotches? did they seem to itch? get puffy? Your dr will ask and it's important to know for him to diagnose.

heffer569

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 4:17 pm
I am severly allergic to eggplant. It started out as just a rash around my lips and mouth itchyness now if I even touch it my whole body breaks out in hives and I get short of breath. Eggplant is considered a Blush Fruit along with tomato (which im also severly allergic to) and Potato which im not. Search Blush fruits its a very common allergy.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 7:37 pm
Keep him a way with eggplant, that is definitely a reaction!

Seraph

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:51 pm
it was just red. not puffy, not hives. just everywhere it touched was red.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:32 am
It could just be a sensitivity to the acid - eggplant is very strong. Especially if he was only red where it touched. Diaper-area I would consider to be "where it touched" because it would affect the acidity of what was excreted.

So, since you got such a definitive answer from Dr. Imamother (not!), I think it's definitely worthwhile to ask a RL doctor. (Totally do not mean this as criticism for asking here - it was a good question - but now that it's clear that the possibilities range from local sensitivity to prelude to severe allergy c'v, apparently it needs a more professional diagnosis! Wink ) The best would probably be if the doctor could see the rash, but it's probably too late for that by now and it's probably a good idea to ask the doctor before trying it again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics