Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Stabbing in moscow

supermom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 5:16 am
Man knifes worshippers at Moscow synagogue
Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 PM ET

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A young man wielding a knife and shouting "Heil Hitler" ran amok in a synagogue in central Moscow on Wednesday, wounding eight people, witnesses said.

A U.S., an Israeli and a Tajik citizen were among the eight wounded, Moscow Prosecutor Anatoly Zuyev said.

"He stabbed a security guard and ran into the synagogue and started stabbing," said Joseph Kogan, 18, his shirt Messed with blood.

"I grabbed him by the neck and pushed him to the floor. Then I noticed he had a big knife ... People said he was shouting 'Heil Hitler' and 'I'll kill you, I'll kill you'."

Racist attacks have mushroomed in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union, mostly carried out by young men attracted to extreme right-wing views.

Zuyev said the man was under arrest and promised to bring him to trial as soon as possible.

"He accompanied his actions ... with cries that pointed to national and religious hatred," he told reporters at the scene.

Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar blamed a fascist "plague" for the attack.

"In places where the ideas of fascism are propagandized, in the end without fail they will turn into reality, as happened today in Moscow," he told news agency Interfax by telephone from Jerusalem, saying he would cut short his trip to Israel.

An Israeli government report has ranked Russia third after France and Britain for instances of anti-Semitic violence. More than a million Jews left for Israel in the last years of the Soviet Union, but around a million remain.

Last year, a nationalist party was barred from Moscow's city elections after a campaign clip urged people to "clean the city of rubbish" after showing a group of darker-skinned men from the Russian Caucasus.

Dozens of African and Asian nationals have also been targeted by neo-Nazi groups.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 10:39 am
What a crazy story!! Refuah shlaima to all of them that were hurt.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 10:44 am
It's terrible. I was just reading about it. Refuah Shleima.

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 11:15 am
for gory pictures see:

http://chabad.info/index.php?u.....=6345

chanala

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 11:21 am
Motek wrote:
for gory pictures see:

http://chabad.info/index.php?u.....=6345

Um, no thanks.

supermom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 11:44 am
oh man!! haven't seen some of those pictures!! grossly nasty a bit nausious but it is okay not like I am going to be eating sooner or later.

lucky

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 1:20 pm
Wow. These pictures are awful. Soo much blood. Were any of the people criticaly injured?

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 2:00 pm
On elderly man is in serious condition. A bochur who was critical was operated on and his life is no longer in danger.

How does someone with only a knife manage to stab eight people before being stopped?

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 2:09 pm
did you see the knife? go take a look

then tell me whether YOU would have tried to stop him!

supermom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 2:16 pm
but my question is that a man held him down and then realized he had a knife if they saw all you need is a couple guys to attack him and that is it. now I think about it it happened and you can't change it. and who knows how we wouldve responded in that situation.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 14 2006, 3:50 pm
Just an update from Moscow - everyone b"h are getting better, probably next week they all we go back home.

Motek

Post Sat, Jan 14 2006, 6:10 pm
gee, that was really private information, thanks for sharing!

Ozmom

Post Sat, Jan 14 2006, 6:16 pm
yael said we have to specify if its not obvious
its pretty obvious to me that this poster must be from russia or involved somehow and doesn't want us to know.
Fair enough

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 12:17 am
Yes, I'm from Moscow
that why I wrote anonymous

ohbaby!

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:05 pm
how come I cant see any pics on chabad.info??

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 6:43 pm
they removed the news item or put it somewhere else
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics