Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Buying a new washer/dryer. need help.
1  2  Next

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:55 pm
so the machine is totally dead. finished. even tho I cannot afford a new machine right now, it is a neccesity and we need to get one right away and dont have time to do research and all.
Dh wants to get a front loader, and it has to be stackable. Please advise as to which u think is best, is a front loader really that amazing..? what do I look for in a machine?? Confused thanks!

curlytop

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:58 pm
I am about to buy a stackable front load washer dryer... it is a maytag with whirlpool parts.. supposed to be really good but it is priced at about $1800 for the pair. It is HUGE though..
Lemme know if you want the part #s...

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:01 pm
front loaders are great. they wash better than top-loaders, save water, cut detergent costs (seriously. they will tell you to only use HE detergents; don't bother, just use half the usual amount of regular detergent) and usually hold a bigger load. they dry the clothing pretty well in the last spin cycle, so you can save time with the dryer as well.

they are more expensive than top-loaders, but I think worth it. my son used to allow me to wash his lambie (see him in my avatar Smile ) because he could watch lambie going around in the washer. so it doubles as an entertainment unit.

I have a GE and am very happy with it. it does a great job. I have a one piece stackable. if you want two machines that are stackable it will cost more $$$.

curlytop

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:04 pm
thats pretty funny about the entertainment unit..
guess thats one expensive video machine!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:05 pm
ah, but if you were going to spend the money on a washer/dryer anyway, it's a free perk Smile

bh we have a basement now, so the machine is there and the kids don't get to watch it. so it's a good thing we didn't buy it for entertainment purposes.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:18 pm
heard there's been an odor problem with front loaders ... and a lot of people are unhappy ... check consumer report

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:20 pm
odor problem is because of the way the washer drains. keep the door open when not in use and it shouldn't be a problem. if it becomes a problem, run an empty cycle with bleach. the odor possibility doesn't affect its ability to wash clothes.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:41 pm
I went to the buzz and spent about $1400 on a pair that I keep not stacked but can buy a stacking kit for $35 if I ever need it. They do a great job. Pm me if you want details.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:44 pm
dh wants to just buy whatever he finds on sale, online or in stores, but I feel that if we buy one already, we might as well do it right and get something amazing! gosh, this is hard...
my stuff are hanging all over my house, dripping wet, and there are a ton more loads to do.. I guess its good we have a laundromat nearby- just in case!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:46 pm
The buzz is really great with that. They usually have something that you could like on sale.

dainty diva

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:48 pm
Me too looking 4 washer now. any1 with info on LG 2455 or LG 2233 or Speed Queen ctsa9awn?

ganizzy

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:18 pm
I saw this today about a sale. dont know if it will help or not

http://forums.slickdeals.net/s.....09481

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:19 pm
I have a Frigidaire front loader washer that I stack with the dryer. You can also use these units side by side. I am really happy with the units. We bought it at Drimmers. At the time they were also offering a rebate which added to the good purchase.

We have this washing machine

We have this Dryer

We bought these machines when it was getting ridiculous trying to wash all our stuff in our tiny "bachelor" stackable machine.

I agree to all of mummiedearest's posts regarding the pros of the front loader machine. Washes well, entertainment, less detergent... The machine I have also has very good washing options to choose from.

My main issue with a front loader is that the buttons are on a child's level. Meaning that my kids press the buttons and use it as a toy. But just like all things in life, you have to discipline them until they know that this is off limits to use as a toy. On the other hand it does make it very easy for them to help me do the laundry and load the machine and start it under my supervision.

Regarding the moldy smell - just leave the door open overnight and it's fine

chavamom

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:24 pm
My sister just told me about this. The new Electrolux washers takes 18 minutes to do a load and the dryer takes 18 minutes to dry. I know, sounds like a joke, but it's serious. If I had the $ to blow, I'd be all over it

chavamom

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:25 pm
Oh and the washer I *do* have is a Fisher Paykel. It's a top-loader the combines all the good parts of a front loader without the drawbacks that are frequent complaints. I've been very happy with it and it gets the clothing SO much cleaner than the old Maytag.[

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 9:59 am
the maytag stackable front loader has the largest capacity of stackables. I have it for over 7 years and never had a single issue. I like it a lot.

dainty diva

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 4:03 pm
How about odor issues? And ever needed repair? And one more, how big of a household do you have?

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 4:14 pm
chavamom wrote:
My sister just told me about this. The new Electrolux washers takes 18 minutes to do a load and the dryer takes 18 minutes to dry. I know, sounds like a joke, but it's serious. If I had the $ to blow, I'd be all over it

ooh I'd like to try it ...

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 4:21 pm
greenfire wrote:
chavamom wrote:

ooh I'd like to try it ...

in theory it sounds amazing, the question is will it be a good machine, work welL & not breaK, if it is as good as it says, I think it will start a new trend.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 6:55 pm
yeah yeah ... trendy ... but is it good ... that is why I'd like to try someone elses ... get a feel ... Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry