Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Chocolate Chunks???
1  2  Next

cookielady

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:12 pm
I just bought a bag of chocolate chunks. I know I could use them in any recipe in place of chocolate chips. I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe that uses chunks specifically, where it would make a difference in the recipe.

TIA.

poemmom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:18 pm
Oh , you mean that special recipe where you put them in an envelope and FedEx them to me?

cookielady

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:32 pm
poemmom wrote:
Oh , you mean that special recipe where you put them in an envelope and FedEx them to me?

Do you have a Whole Foods near you? I was surprised to find them there, kosher and parve.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:34 pm
try them in double chocolate brownies ... Mr. Green

bebe3

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:35 pm
poemmom wrote:

Hahaha

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:36 pm
excuse my ignorance but what are chocolate chunks

poemmom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:43 pm
I think they look a little fancier than chips if you use them in cookies. And they might be a better shape and size to pair with other chunky ingredients -- macademia nuts, dried cherries,...

The only other difference would be how they melt. I've heard that chips are designed to hold their shape somewhat in baking (something about the relative percentages of their components) So if the chunks are meltier that could be better in certain uses where you are melting them all together. Not that I've ever noticed a problem with regular chips myself.

daamom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:49 pm
There is a recipe in the KBD Entertains cookbook for a streusel topped chocolate chunk banana cake. It is extremely good, and the chocolate chunks make it out of this world. I've done this recipe with chocolate chips as well, and it just does not compare.

stargazer

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 1:46 pm
Quote:
There is a recipe in the KBD Entertains cookbook for a streusel topped chocolate chunk banana cake. It is extremely good, and the chocolate chunks make it out of this world. I've done this recipe with chocolate chips as well, and it just does not compare.

I was just going to suggest this recipe! Its absolutely delicious!

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 2:07 pm
You don't know what to do with them, well I do, give them to me and I assure you I have good use for them!

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 2:08 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
You don't know what to do with them, well I do, give them to me and I assure you I have good use for them!

hence your signature.

dash

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 5:58 pm
can we please have the recipe? thanx

pinktichel

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 4:59 am
daamom wrote:

Bananas? Cookielady? Those two don't go together. LOL

daamom

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 5:48 am
Ok, here's the recipe: (Cookie, you will NOT mind that it's healthy-ish Very Happy )

Cake:
4 rip bananas, mashed
1C. (2 sticks) margarine, melted (I substitute oil, with great results)
2 C. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 C. lowfat mayonnaise
1/2 C. soymilk
1 tsp. baking soda
3 C. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Place banana in bowl, with rest of these ing.'s. Beat til combined.

Streusel Topping:
1 1/4 C. flour
1 C. sugar
2 T. cinnamon
1/2 C. margarine, melted (again, I use oil)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
7 oz. good quality bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped with a knife. (or, your chocolate chunks!)

Combine first 3 ing.'s, add melted marg and vanilla. Mix by hand til crumbly. Stir in chocolate.

Pour half of cake batter into greased 9 X 13. Sprinkle 1/2 of crumbs over that. Add rest of batter, then rest of crumbs.

Bake 1 hour.

Enjoy, let me know how it turn out!

cookielady

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:32 am
pinktichel wrote:
daamom wrote:

Pink, you know me too well!!!! LOL

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:37 am
cookielady wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
daamom wrote:

Pink, you know me too well!!!! LOL

1000 pardons for me not picking up on same embarrassed

poemmom

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 9:08 am
Yum!! I can't wait to make that. I didn't see a temp. Is it 350 deg. F?

pinktichel

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 9:22 am
daamom wrote:
Ok, here's the recipe: (Cookie, you will NOT mind that it's healthy-ish Very Happy )

Oh, healthy isn't her issue... she absolutely despises bananas (hope I'm not giving out too much info). Try and sneak one into something, and she'll notice.

What's more offensive, is suggesting chocolate and bananas together!! Wink

daamom

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 12:18 pm
Poemmom, yes, bake at 350.
Cookielady, sorry I couldn't accomodate your tastes. Let me know what delicious recipe you discover with your choc chunks.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 12:29 pm
cookie'la ... here goes

Doubly Chocolate Brownies

1 1/3 cups crisco
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla (real stuff)
4 cups sugar

I use a whipper and whip it good

add

2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups hershey's cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

continue mixing while adding
1 cup boiling water

add 2 packages chocolate chunks (10 oz each)

bake for 40 minutes at 350 on a cookie sheet - ill go measure the pan - 18 x 12
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins