Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training 3 year old dd

pacifier

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 8:05 pm
dd doesn't tell when she makes. more than that, she tells me she didn't make when I want to change her diaper.
she does go on the toilet, but just for fun, and sometimes will make number 1.

I need real advice to get her potty trained.
not something with toys/stickers/talk about becoming big girl....... it just doesn't work!!!

PIP

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 8:10 pm
Did you try putting underwear on her? I stick them in underwear and for about 1-2 weeks they have accidents, then they magically just train! (B"H) I train my kids at 2. Just ditch the pampers cold turkey.

pacifier

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 8:13 pm
I tried a few months ago. and she still wouldn't mind being wet or dirty.....
I guess, im just gonna have to take off diaper and leave her half naked for a few days....

PIP

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 9:48 pm
My daughter was like that. I just kept it up and didn't give in to a diaper. When I thought I would snap, she finally started going.
Patience!

su7kids

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 9:56 pm
By three years old she's old enough to want something, a doll a book anything, and you can offer it to her, show it to her in the store and tell her when she's trained, she can have it.

I did that with my son, we also bought new undies that day we were in the store. do NOT bring it home, because she'll KNOW you'll "cave". leave it in the store and explain to her that when she makes in the toilet only and not in her diapers and undies she can have it.

Also, I did with my son, when he made # 1, I said, Do you remember what that felt like before it came out? He said, Yes I said, ok, so next time make it in the toilet. He said OK and did!. Same with # 2.

Try it. (my son wanted "real" tools, which I found in Toys R Us!)

pacifier

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 10:35 pm
oh, she knows that she'll get a gift when she goes once, and if she does it 3 times, she'll get what she dreams off. and I keep repeating it, and she keeps saying it to everyone, I'm gonna get... when I poop in the toilet...(I'm talking of number 2. I can't promise for number 1 since I can't be sure that she makes it when she tells me she does. she only goes on the real toilet, with her potty seat)

su7kids

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 11:08 pm
Do yo ustill have her in diapers or pull ups? Get real underwear.

Also, remind her what it felt like before it came out. We think kids KNOW these things instinctively, but they don't.

challi

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 11:35 pm
I guess I'll go against the grain.... but I say leave her. I'm in your exact shoes right now. I've tried everything and nothing has worked. My dd just simply could care less about being dirt or wet and the dr told me to hold off. There's noything to do.

Atali

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 11:49 pm
challi wrote:
I guess I'll go against the grain.... but I say leave her. I'm in your exact shoes right now. I've tried everything and nothing has worked. My dd just simply could care less about being dirt or wet and the dr told me to hold off. There's noything to do.

Agreed, I had that exact problem with DS #1, so I let him be. Then one day, at 3 and 3 months, he decided to go to the potty, and within a few days he was trained.

cassandra

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 11:53 pm
Same here-- I knew if I pushed him he'd never do it so I left him alone and he trained himself at 3 years 2 months. Went on the potty one day and never had an accident. My next daughter is 2.5 now and I know she won't ever be trained if I try to train her (she doesn't like to do anything unless she thinks it's her own idea) so I leave the potty out, read her potty books sometimes, and don't say anything else about it. If she's not trained by the time she's 3.5 (which is when she'll start nursery) I'll have to figure something else out.

Aribenj

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:30 am
I had the same problem wih dd when she turned 3. I tried charts, rewards, presents, nothing worked.

But her wonderful teacher had a great idea. We just got rid of diapers, cold turkey, and took her to the bathroom every hour or 2 hours. It took 1 week of accidents, but after that we never looked back.

I do want to say though, that sometimes they are not ready. If you stop diapers cold turkey and after a month they're still not potty trained, I'd say give it up and try again in a few months.

In any case, don't worry. By the time she gets married she'll be potty trained.

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 2:50 pm
su7kids wrote:
Do yo ustill have her in diapers or pull ups? Get real underwear.

Also, remind her what it felt like before it came out. We think kids KNOW these things instinctively, but they don't.

I'm in the same situation also. I just went to the Dr for a checkup and asked him about my dd. He said it'll come in due time. Rushing her will not only not help but backfire.

I have her in underwear now (or pull ups when we go out). She goes on the potty when she wants to - but only #1. (She's gone both in her underwear). I was thinking that I have to make better rewards but maybe I'll just wait it out.

I have tried to help her to recognize the feeling before she has to go but that didn't work.

I even have my younger one trying to go on the potty (just sitting, and only when she asks, for practice) to maybe push the older one along, but that's not working either.

My older even sits on the potty without the potty seat cuz she says she's a big girl now. Very frustrating that she wont go ONLY on the potty though.

pacifier

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:04 pm
thanks for all your replies.
I don't feel like just taking off the diapers because I'm not ready for a month of "accidents". I'm always holding our fussy newborn...

but I keep reminding her to go to the toilet so she can get her gift.
yesterday I told her no she's not a big girl and she cried over it.......
and tonight she went to the bathroom but had already made, so she called me, crying because she had made in the diaper......

I guess that's a start.......

PIP

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:11 pm
I bought vinyl underwear. They sell them in babies r us. You put them over the reg underwear this way when they make, there's no mess everywhere. They're great!

pacifier

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:14 pm
I have them. tried them. but you still get to clean a 3 year old dirty underwear.
not fun...

su7kids

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:32 pm
With a newborn, this is a really bad time to get her to toilet train. Leave it for another couple of months, and DON"T remind her she's a big girl, because she'll start having baby behaviors again.

Just IGNORE it for another month or two and see what happens.

cubbie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:33 pm
pacifier wrote:
thanks for all your replies.
I don't feel like just taking off the diapers because I'm not ready for a month of "accidents". I'm always holding our fussy newborn.......

That's a very important aspect, having a newborn in the house is not a great time for expecting result in toilet training, how old is the baby? I wouldn't mention the subject until the baby is at least 3-6 months, a new sibling takes a large toll on an older sibling, and even many trained kids, regress and start having accidents again after the birth of a sibling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training