Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Healthy Snacks Needed for Sweet Loving Husband
1  2  Next

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 3:05 am
BS"D
Yes my husband is very sweet and very loving, but he also loved his sweets! My mother-in-law keeps a whole drawer full of cookies in her kitchen and always chips in her pantry. The house is loaded with unhealthy nosh. I want our house to be healthier than that, but my husband wants food around that he can just grab and go. I got him to eat rice cakes and jelly and I always make this lower fat corn muffin recipe so there is something in the house, but celery and pb or green onions and salad dressing just doesn't appeal to him. Any suggestions?

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 3:11 am
BS"D
Corn muffins
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups corn meal
6 T sugar
3 T baking powder
2 t salt
1 1/3 cup oj
2/3 c oil ( I use olive or the equivelent in lowfat margarin)
2 eggs

Bake at about 100 C until done.

supermommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 9:42 am
does he like whole wheat crackers? Their great for dipping and kemach makes one that tastes like matzah and my dh loves them. does he like apples? does he like specifically chocolatey and sugary snacks or is it the convenience? Maybe he'll go for apple wedges. If its all cut and ready he may eat them more. Most men don't like to patchka around to have a quick snack. Raisins are sweet. Nuts can be salty and have natural fats that can curb cravings for fatty chips and stuff. Pretzels are pretty good esp. the whole wheat version (landau). Would he go for things like that or are you looking for baked goods as a snack?

happymom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 9:46 am
what about flat breads and chummus. Or hard boiled egg... or low fat sliced cheese... low fat yogurts.. fruits... fruit leathers or dried fruits. These are things I eat for snack. does he like any of them? Peanut butter on apple is delicious and a good snack.

RedVines

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 10:46 am
My DH is not really a healthy eater, but his snacks are usually nuts, fruit etc.

For Breakfast he makes a shake with fresh fruit an egg, soymilk,

Maybe if you make it for him he would want it?

by the way I love this thread and hope to get some good ideas for the whole fam!

supermommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 10:49 am
while we're on the topic of healthy eating. Maybe someone can throw in some ideas of healthy lunches for DH. He's getting kinda bored of the same old tuna or egg sandwich on ww bread.

mimama

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 11:36 am
anyone else has a good wholesome muffin recipe?

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 11:44 am
In the Weight Watchers magazine this month they showed that 10 baby carrotts + 2 T store bought hummous + 1 mini whole wheat pita = 2 point on their plan. Thats a nice snack.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 12:09 pm
sugar snap peas

supermom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 4:42 pm
supermommy wrote:
while we're on the topic of healthy eating. Maybe someone can throw in some ideas of healthy lunches for DH. He's getting kinda bored of the same old tuna or egg sandwich on ww bread.

You can make shwarma, meat loaf, hamburgers sandwitchs, leftover from the night before, soup, or what ever you can think of I guess and a nice salad usually does too.

raspberry tea

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 4:58 pm
To throw this in, for a healthy lunch. I send my husband with soup most days of the week. Usually a lentil, or split pea, a chili always warmed ahead of time and sent in a thermos. I try to included a couple of fruits, or some baby carrots and some air popped popcorn. He's trying to lose weight and this is working! Another good snack I like are the Natural Ovens muffins or cookies. They are packed full of good for you ingredients! They are star K pas yisroel I believe.

happymom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:01 pm
I usually have whole wheat araps for luch. You can make many diff kinds

avocodo wrap,
deli meat wrap,
tuna wrap,
lox sandwhich,
I usually find whatever I have and put it in a wrap.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:02 pm
For snacks, make your own caramel popcorn, heavy on the corn, light on the caramel. Just make air popped corn, and use maybe 1/2 the recipe for caramel corn, mix it all up following any recipe. That way it's sweet and salty, but not too bad and low fat too.

supermom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:03 pm
wraps aren't too filling though her husband would starve until he came home no?

supermommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:48 pm
I guess if I use a wrap like a sandwich for a change of scenery and add some fruit and some other extras he'll be ok. I think happymom meant a wrap instead of a sandwich.

sheshycoco

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 8:35 pm
Why do I ALWAYS READ ABOUT FOOD, WHEN iM AM SOOO HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're gong out for my bday,(hubbi & I), can;t wait for my milk shake and ice cream, it;s not healthy, but bdays are made for ULTIMATE fun, I like to be healthy other times though;).

'Diets always start tomorro'.

Chani

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 8:56 pm
here's a curry dip recipe that's great with raw vegetables. My husband's not crazy about vegetables either, but he'll eat them to get to the dip!

1 c. fat free mayonnaise
2 T. ketchup
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. onion powder
1 T. curry powder (can adjust to taste if you want - I always use a tablespoon but my mother does less)

It'll stay good in the refrigerator for several days.

Healthy lunches - does he have access to a microwave? if so, then maybe soup would be good. On Sundays I'll sometimes make three or four big pots of soup and then freeze them - some in individual serving containers and some in larger containers that I'll use for shabbos. A hearty soup - like minestrone or split pea - can be a good lunch.

Maybe a wrap with grill chicken or salmon, lettuce, and Caesar dressing in it? Lox and veggies (sprouts, tomato, red onion)?

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 9:36 am
Happy Birthday Sheshycoco Very Happy

happymom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 9:40 am
Quote:
I think happymom meant a wrap instead of a sandwich.

yes. also, wraps filled with some kind of protien do fill me up.... im never hungry after lunch. I can last till supper with a small snack of fruit or yogurt in between.

technic

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 10:45 am
can someone PLS change the title of this thread?? I know what its MEANT 2 mean (the guy is sweet-loving) but it reads like a character description (sweet loving) - NOT that I doubt hes both!!! Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics