Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
CD scratch removal

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 5:15 pm
I have tried numerous things to get scratches out of cd's - the memorex "scratch repair kit", taking them to a store with a professional "polisher/scratch remover", the "toothpaste trick" (don't bother), etc. Nothing has worked very well - even the professional polisher had only limited success. Well, my dd saw an ad for a scratch erase "pencil" and I thought we would give it a try. Guess what? IT WORKS. It looks like an old-fashioned grease pencil and for all I know, it might be an overr-priced grease pencil ($5.99), but the important part is that it really worked, even on some of my horribly scratched cd's (though the really scratched ones I had to do more than once to get rid of all the scratches). I got it at the Container Store, but I see it on-line here. I just thought I would pass on the tip - go save your cd's!

pecan

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 5:25 pm
In my cd's for the kids - like Uncle Moishy - some of them stop in the middle because it's scratched up. Will this actually repair the cd and make it not stop anymore?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 5:31 pm
thanks for the tip. that sure beats buying new ones.

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 5:43 pm
pecan wrote:
In my cd's for the kids - like Uncle Moishy - some of them stop in the middle because it's scratched up. Will this actually repair the cd and make it not stop anymore?

I have a cd of The Chevra from 2001 when it came out. Someone literally dragged a piece of furniture over it. I"m not even sure why I kept it. I tried it and it worked (it was one of the ones I had to do twice however).

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:04 pm
Thank you chavamom. I'd really like to try it.

bebe3

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:06 pm
Thank you so much for posting. I have a drawer full of my kids' scratched dvd's. My husband will be so happy to hear about this.

Bsimcha

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:11 pm
I googled for ideas and the one that worked for me was plain old alcohol. I used a very soft cloth and gently wiped from the middle to the edge all over and what do you know, it worked!

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:12 pm
If this is true, I'm running out to see if Moshiach is here....

(You have no idea how many kids DVDs we've gone through....just bc they've gotten scratched and we replace....the vicious cycle...)

greentiger

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 9:04 am
Once you manage to get it working again, I would reccomend to copy it to a new CD so that you don't lose it if it gets scratched up even more.

ChavieK

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 11:20 am
Bsimcha, did the alcohol work on really bad scratches? Chavamom, did you buy the cloth too?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 11:33 am
I never understood the 'maaleh' of CDs over cassettes. (I know they're not even making cassettes anymore) I have cassettes from 10-15 years ago and they're still perfect and most of my fairly new cds are scratched up already. Isnt technology supposed to make things better? Confused

mommy4

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 10:52 pm
Chavamom, can you expain how you used the pencil? I bought it, used it on a cd and then wiped it with a soft cloth. When I put the cd in, it said something like disk error. I tried wiping more but couldnĀ“t get it to work. The cd became black from the pencil, is that normal? When you wipe it, is the pencil marks supposed to go away?

chavamom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:51 pm
Yes, you are supposed to wipe the black off and it only stays on in the cracks. It sounds like you didn't get it off the rest of the cd well enough.

mommy4

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 8:15 am
Thanks, I will try it again.

bubby

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 11:58 am
Gently rub in toothpaste & wash it off. Works for DVD's, so......
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics