Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Good smell in house
1  2  Next

pomegranate

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:07 pm
sometimes when I walk into someones's house it has a delicious smell - not talking about food that is cooking (although that also smells good)
I also kind of want to give my house a certain permanent great smell. what do such people do to make it smell great? (sometimes it kinda smells similar to perfume)

chanagital

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:10 pm
I put some glade vacuum powder down before I vacuum. We love vanilla but there are other scents. The other thing we use is those sented plugs.

bebe3

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:42 pm
After dinner I light a scented candle and the bedrooms have those glade glass picture frame fresheners.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:03 pm
I used to love coming home after the cleaning lady left, it smelled like lemons.

3Qts

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:05 pm
Melaluka Detergent makes my whole house smell delicous but the problem is that it doesnt clean that well so what I do is I use it for my towel load and the whole house has a delicious smell.

elf123

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:18 pm
Get yourself over to Bath & Body Works...I went to pick up my son from a playdate, had never met the people before and when I walked into the house, I was intoxicated by the smell...I had to ask the mother what made her house smell so good and she told me she used the plug-ins sold at Bath& Body Works. They have a lot of different scents, but they all smell great. They are not cheap but they do run sales quite often so you can stock up a few times a year, and also they give coupons out on the receipt with each purchase. They are called Wallflowers, and I have them all over my house, but truthfully, depending on the size of your house/apartment, you may only need a few. I'm telling you, you MUST try them!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:19 pm
elf123 wrote:
Get yourself over to Bath & Body Works...I went to pick up my son from a playdate, had never met the people before and when I walked into the house, I was intoxicated by the smell...I had to ask the mother what made her house smell so good and she told me she used the plug-ins sold at Bath& Body Works. They have a lot of different scents, but they all smell great. They are not cheap but they do run sales quite often so you can stock up a few times a year, and also they give coupons out on the receipt with each purchase. They are called Wallflowers, and I have them all over my house, but truthfully, depending on the size of your house/apartment, you may only need a few. I'm telling you, you MUST try them!

Where would I find a Bath and Body workds in the NY area?

Stayci

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:21 pm
elf123, I definitely will try them. I am a fanatic when it comes to smell, and I would love that my house smell like perfume shops. yyyuuuuuuummmm.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:23 pm
Fabulous wrote:
elf123 wrote:

Where would I find a Bath and Body workds in the NY area?

kings plaza.

they also have a nice website.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:24 pm
I use a Glade Plug-In in my front foyer, and the entire house smells.

My mom has the Bath&Body Works Wallflower, and it works very well.

pomegranate

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:50 pm
elf123 wrote:

sounds like a good idea. but wouldn't such a thing be full of chemicals? I wouldn't want to breathe chemicals.

elf123

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:58 pm
I don't know that they have any more chemicals than any perfume, room spray or anything else you use to clean your house...if you are anti-chemical, maybe you have to try one of those organic-type things, but I don't know anything about those. You are not really breathing in the ones from B&BW, it is a diffuser that spreads the smell all over the room/house, it works with the warmth of the outlet you plug it into.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 9:04 pm
I dont know if they have these in stores in Bklyn. (although Im sure they do) I was once in Lkwd and someone told me abt these potpourri thingies in envelopes sold in Magical Moments (an upstcale gift shop on Clifton Ave.) they were not expensive (abt 2.50 a packet) and they make your house smell wonderful. You stick them in closets and drawers, and the smell just wafts around!!

3Qts

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 9:04 pm
Ok this is really my secret but I am going to let you all into this...

If I am expecting guests and want my house to smell yummy I put an apple in the microwave the whole house smells like you were busy baking a whole day.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 9:09 pm
Someone I know puts cinnamon and water in a pan and turns the oven on before guests come and her house smells amazing! The problem is after they compliment her how nice the house smells and they ask her what she's busy baking because they desperately want the recipe!

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 11:00 pm
OldYoung wrote:
Someone I know puts cinnamon and water in a pan and turns the oven on before guests come

Just what I was about to suggest, except I'd simmer it in a pan on the stove or the microwave. (Why waste all that energy heating up an oven just to make the house smell nice?) no concerns about "air freshener" chemicals and their toxic residues, and it's about the cheapest thing around.

Skippy!!

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 11:10 pm
Here are the wallflowers on Bath & Body Works site. Could somebody who uses them please tell me which one has a good scent?

http://www.bathandbodyworks.co.....ch=no

elf123

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 12:15 am
I am partial to the Warm Vanilla Sugar or Vanilla Coconut...depends what type of smell you like, though. If you like fruity, the Bartlett Pear is nice, and there was even one I got for my kids' room that smelled like Mint Choc. Chip ice cream! So far, I have bought quite a few different ones, and I've liked all of them...try a couple and see what you prefer.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 12:23 am
Once a week I go around the house with my Febreeze and spray everything I can. The yum smell lasts and lasts.

drumjj

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:16 am
do u know those plug in scents are the cause of a lot of house fires u and really have to be careful with them
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry