Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you cook on Thurs. night for Shabbos
1  2  3  Next

LeahW

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 12:07 am
What do you cook on Thurs. and what do you wait until Fri. to cook?

ss321

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:28 am
LeahW wrote:
What do you cook on Thurs. and what do you wait until Fri. to cook?

everything, absolutely nothing.
why push off till tmrw what you can do today...Friday has always been busy, I get home as early as I can but it is never easy. I wait till Friday to pour the dressings on the salads and cut the gefilte fish and put it on the plates. everything has to be done by me Thursday night the latest. Maybe Im neurotic...I dunno...

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:30 am
I cook everything on Thursday night, besides for the potato kugel. I put the cholent in the crock-pot on Thursday, too.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:31 am
Thursday
Make Soup 1
Make challah dough

Friday AM
Slice Vegetables
Slice Cheese
Thaw anything necessary

Friday before Candlelighting
Bake Challah
Put Stew in the crock pot
Roast anything that needs roasting (potatoes or squash)

OldYoung

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:39 am
everything on Thursday besides cholent, soup and meat/chicken.

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:44 am
Everything on Thursday besides cholent.
Except today, I'm striking.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:46 am
On friday I make the cholent, eggs, lukshin, ferfel, and kugal. I like when these things are fresh. On thursday I make the soup, liver, both kinds of fish, what else?

chanagital

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:48 am
On Thursday I make any dessert, soup, and salads. Friday I make the rest of the food.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:50 am
I make chicken soup Thursday night so I can skim the fat off before shabbos. I'll usually make the dessert and the fish. Sometimes I'll make Challah Thursday because I don't usually have time to do it Friday.

LeahW

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:58 am
Maya wrote:
I cook everything on Thursday night, besides for the potato kugel. I put the cholent in the crock-pot on Thursday, too.

Do you have a huge crock-pot? I don't think I could put enough water in mine for that.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:59 am
Thusday parve (challot, baking, parve sides that require the oven).

Friday chicken.

I usualy try to do things that freeze well (ie: soup) every few weeks & rely on the freezer.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:20 am
When you make, say a kugel, on thursday, does it go into the freezer or fridge?

BeckyR

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:21 am
I've been working on Friday for years now, so I need to do most of my cooking Thursday night. Kugels etc. are still delicious. I still love fresh chicken cooked on Friday, so I'll prepare it Thursday night and have my DH, who usually doesn't work Fridays, put it in the oven Friday. If we're not having guests, I'll even throw it in as soon as I walk in the door at 2pm - I love living on the edge.... Smile
I think roasted potatoes are also better cooked on Friday. I often make rice instead on really short Fridays, as it takes less cooking time.

daamom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:24 am
Thursday: soup, matza balls (ideally), kugel(s), main dish, prepare cholent to go up on Friday.

Friday: Challah, cook cholent, eggs.

Desert - either one.

sky

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:32 am
Everything.
I work every day and on short Fridays I can't leave anything.
I make the cholent and put in the fridge with out the meat. Friday morning I put the meat in and put up the cholent, otherwise I find it becomes tough.
Some stuff I leave to cook Friday afternoon but only if it means simply sticking in the oven.

Quote:
When you make, say a kugel, on thursday, does it go into the freezer or fridge?

Anything made on Thursday does not go in the freezer. It tastes fresh on shabbos.

(don't tell anyone, I do some of my advance cooking on Wendsday - like kugels, mix pie doughs, clean green beans etc. and no body knows the difference,

canadamom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:32 am
I do e/th thursday:
fish
soup
chicken(I prepare it and bake it on fri)
kugel
dips
cholent (I prepare it in crockpot and put it up fri morn)
boil eggs
etc....
I grew up in a house where fri was always pressure, pressure, pressure.... so now I try to keep my fridays low key: last minute cleaning and set the table...

Inspired

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:33 am
It depends on the week. But usually fish, salatim, some side dishes, some dessert and prepare almost everything else -soak beans, peel veggies ready in pot for soup, Tonight my goal is to bake desserts, sift all the flour I need, do salatim and fish and get the veggies peeled and ready. But I have a bit of headache and the kids are not in bed yet,so we'll see.
I like to do challa the last thing on friday, so its fresh.

ETA: while I was typing this I smelled something burning and th chickpas for the chumus were burning becaus they ran out of water because I was imamother instead of paying attention to them gggrrrr. About 3/4 are still edible. But we are going to have to buy chumus to supplement now. And I don't know if my pot will recover. Certainly not in time to help for shabbos. Its going to take alot of scrubbing. Its sitting with oven cleaner now. Sad

Last edited by Inspired on Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:34 am
LeahW wrote:
Maya wrote:

Do you have a huge crock-pot? I don't think I could put enough water in mine for that.

I used to put up my cholent on Thursday and found the meat become tough, maybe it was just the type I bought.

You don't need a bigger crockpot to put up Thursday. Just Friday morning check to make sure it has enough water.

Personally I like to put it together and then put it up to cook Friday morning before work.

LeahW

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:49 am
sky wrote:
LeahW wrote:
Maya wrote:

You don't need a bigger crockpot to put up Thursday. Just Friday morning check to make sure it has enough water.

You're right. Duh!! embarrassed

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 10:58 am
I'm gonna be the odd man out here. I do nothing on Thursday and everything on Friday! Tongue Out Anyone else so 'makpid' on freshness?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen