Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you cook on Thurs. night for Shabbos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Fabulous

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 1:59 pm
It depends every week.
Challah is any day except Friday (this week today) and I often have in the freezer or buy if I don't have time.

Gefilte fish: either from my mother or thursday
salmon: right before the zman
soup, same as challah except never buy
kugel: thursday night because we like overnight kugel
lokshen and ferfel on friday
chulent and kishka friday.

creativemommyto3

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:01 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
I'm gonna be the odd man out here. I do nothing on Thursday and everything on Friday! Tongue Out Anyone else so 'makpid' on freshness?

I am makpid on "ME" being fresh and trying to be awake to enjoy the seuda and spend time with my kids. I have started stocking up my freezer . I made a routine of baking only every other sunday (challos, cakes etc). Making a big batch of kugels, fish and soup. I want to try to only have to cook the chicken and and prepare cholent on Thursday so that I can clean on Friday.

babygirl

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:31 pm
LeahW random Question but is your avatar from Wootalyzer?!

LeahW

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:38 pm
lachmagene wrote:
LeahW random Question but is your avatar from Wootalyzer?!

I don't think so, what is that? I was looking for a funny cat pic and my SIL found it for me.

babygirl

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:42 pm
lol! it tells you diff daily deals from diff sites....and well the last one is that pic and says free download! cute!

BeckyR

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:49 pm
XYZ, I used to do everything on Friday, and when I'm not working ( summers, winter break), I still do. My mom usually does cook only on Fridays, except when having tons of company. My MIL does everything as far in advance as possible, and I think my Friday cooking makes her crazy! Wink She's waiting for the day that something will go wrong and she can say " told you so"!

pecan

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:09 pm
I do all my cooking on Thursday and fresh salads friday morning before the kids come home from school. I don't see how people cook with their kids home. To me that sounds like a situation where someone will scream erev Shabbos - and that is something I want to avoid.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:14 pm
mrs xyz, I do nothing on thursday but its because I am lazy. before I had a baby, I did everything on thursday night. now, once she is sleeping, I just want to fall ontothe couch and vegg.
there is no work for us (DH and me) on friday so its fine to leave it all. when shabbat is very short then it gets a bit coocoo, but otherwise, I love friday preparing for shabbat.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:18 pm
I bake challah on Monday.
I start cooking on Wednesday.
Most cooking is done on Thursday including salads, dressings and dips.
All I do on Friday is cholent and potato kugel (potatoes peeled on Thursday).

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:21 pm
just wondering, for those of you who put the dressings on your salads before the meals, arent your salads soggy by the time you are ready to eat?
then again, we only make a fresh salad with no dressing, so maybe om just missing something here.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:24 pm
I shop on thursday afternoon, make dessert on thursday night and everything else on friday. I'd rather have a simple shabbos then spend the whole week thinking about it. Fresh food tastes good anyway!

oh and salad is made after candle lighting.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:33 pm
I make the dressings Thursday night and dress right before serving.

pecan

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:34 pm
I put the dressings in a separate container before shabbos and combine it with salad right before the meal so it doesn't get soggy. It is a shaila to measure your ingredients on Shabbos.

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 6:12 pm
What? Measure? People do that???? Very Happy

Appletree

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 6:23 pm
I do everything on thursday, besides chulent and potato kugel on friday morning.
I even set the table on thursday

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 6:25 pm
people who cook everything, or almost everything on thursday (or before shock ) also cook chicken in advance? I always think reheated chicken is just unappetising. I have a hard time eating the leftovers after shabbos. Or do you just prepare it ready to go in the oven?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 7:43 pm
I do everything on Thursday.

I come home late on friday from work so no time to do anything then.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:07 pm
Appletree wrote:
I do everything on thursday, besides chulent and potato kugel on friday morning.
I even set the table on thursday

Same here. I even put in the candles and olive oil in the leichter too. When friday comes, I am even bored. I don't like to do anything on friday after chatzos.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:29 pm
My chicken soup HAS to be done on Thursday so the fat can rise and I can skim it on friday.
Most things I like to do on Friday, but certain things like kugels and even challah I really have to start doing on thursday.

Appletree

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 8:33 pm
[quote="mimsy7420"]My chicken soup HAS to be done on Thursday so the fat can rise and I can skim it on friday.

I cook my chicken in plain water then I spill the water so all the fat goes out then I add the vegtables , salt and water and then I cook it again. My chicken soup comes out yum with no fat in it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen