Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Shortening in Israel?
1  2  Next

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:10 am
Where can I get shortening- like Crisco- in Israel- preferably an Israeli brand?
Thanks!

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:15 am
There is no Israeli brand.

SuperDeal on Derech Hevron in Jerusalem carries both the ShopRite brand (OU, 32.90/3 lb. tub) and Crisco brand (something ridiculous like 50NIS for the same sized tub). I'm told that CheaperKol also carries it, but I haven't seen it there with my own eyes. And Super haMoshava (also Jerusalem) has been known to stock it on occasion (also the ShopRite brand, comparable pricing).

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:24 am
Ouch.
So what does everyone use for frosting/icing and such?
I've tried an exact substitution of margarine for shortening- but it tends to turn out much thicker, not enough to decorate with...

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:26 am
Israelis use margarine. I use shortening and just suck it up, because I hate the taste of margarine in my icing. Not to mention, it gives everything a yellowish tinge.

Where are you located?

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:28 am
Jerusalem, so what you suggested would probably be good.
I love cake decorating- don't know how to deal with it without my shortening!

Inspired

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:28 am
I use only oil. Noon ever 'complains.

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:29 am
Do you have any ideas for not such an exact substitution for margarine- maybe it could lighten the flavor, loosen the thickness?
Thanks for the help!

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:30 am
Inspired- why doesn't it become runny?
For example- if I'm piping roses, an oil mixture would probably fall apart!

Inspired

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:32 am
I don't make decorating icing, sorry. Just glaze type icing.

mali

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:35 am
Brainiac85 wrote:
Ouch.
I've tried an exact substitution of margarine for shortening- but it tends to turn out much thicker, not enough to decorate with...
water it down or use richwhip/tenuva whip. both are fine for cake decorating.

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:38 am
mali wrote:
Brainiac85 wrote:
Ouch.
water it down or use richwhip/tenuva whip. both are fine for cake decorating.
Mali- do you know the specifications?
My decorating icing recipe calls for:
confectioner's sugar
1 cup shortening
2 tablespoons water
1 tsp. vanilla

Or- do you have a recipe to suggest?
Thanks!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:44 am
Here is the cake I made last week for my son's 3 year birthday party in gan.
My neighbor is an expert cake decorator. She decorated it for me. Just margarine, cof. sugar, water and vanilla.

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:46 am
Chossid Mom- beautiful cake!!
I'm more of the backside type- do you have the exact recipe with measurements?
Thanks!

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:48 am
Chossidmom beautiful. Mazel Tov on ds's birthday Smile

mali

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:49 am
I don't have an exact recipe. use yours and once it's mixed, slowly add water until you get the right consistency.

or use richwhip alone or with a Tbs. of instant vanilla pudding. that should give you a good consistency as well.

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:03 am
Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the help, as a new oleh who hasn't quite mastered shopping here yet.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:12 am
Yes, I've heard also of using the pareve whip with either chocolate or vanilla pudding. I still find that vanilla comes out a bit yellow-ish. I'm also a purist. (Brainiac85, I imagine we're of a similar mould.)

You should also be warned that the "avkat sucar" that they sell in tiny little 200g bags in the supermarket is NOT the confectioners' sugar you are used to! I found it much more granular. There are a few places in Jerusalem to get "real" icing sugar; the cheapest by far is a small store in the shuk (10NIS/kg).

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:15 am
Marion- which store in the shuk (I assume you mean Machane Yehuda)- does it have a name, or should I just wander around to see...
I'll test out both to see which worked better in decorating.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:19 am
There's no store name, but I can give you directions.

If you're coming from Yaffo, it's on the UNCOVERED side. You enter through security and it's on the left, about 5 stores down (I think). It's nestled in among a few stores that sell juice and other drinks. The front entry is very, very narrow and has an assortment of dried fruit & nuts on the cash side. When you enter the store, all the baking stuff (corn starch, cocoa, potato starch, and icing sugar) on on the shelves to your left, over open bags of dried beans and grains. The icing sugar is a brand called "Premium" (usually); a yellow bag with red printing. Read carefully! All the products of that brand have the same packaging!

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:28 am
Brainiac85 wrote:
Ouch.

My mom is also an expert cake decorater she always uses margarine (a combination of margarine and confectioners sugar). She took a wilton's course way back before she and my dad made aliya (we're talking 30 years give or take, but I digress).
Anyway she uses the wilton recipe for butter icing and substitutes margarine for butter. I admit it does taste margariny - but it looks beatiful. My mother makes roses and other flowers and they look almost life-like.
A lot of Israelis use whipped cream (or rich) or a combination of whipped cream and instant pudding mix. So you get a much softer icing. You cold also do sugar dough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins