Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
ISO recipe for salmon
1  2  Next

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:58 am
I am having guest on friday night and would like to make an interesting salmon. I usually just use ketchup, mayo, lemon juice and garlic and bake but it's a little blah. What I really want is a recipe like they have in the restaurants, like a sweet/salty glaze of some sort. Only proven recipes please, I don't want to experiment on guest.

Last edited by Fabulous on Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bambamama

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:04 am
I do lemon, brown sugar, soysauce and ketchup. Not so exciting, but always turns out yum.

Last edited by Bambamama on Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:04 am
Meant to write ISO, not IS and I don't know how to edit my topic embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:07 am
I make an easy teriyaki marinade from equal parts soy sauce and orange juice, with
a bit of toasted sesame oil and cinnamon (this may seem odd but it does work).
Add a bit of honey if you want it sweeter, my family doesn't.
You can marinate salmon for about 1hr before baking, just cook in the oven.

Or I do herby ones, sprinkle with chopped dills, parsley, cilantro, chives, tarragon (technically
any green fresh herbs but dills are really nice) salt and cracked peppers.
Just bake in the oven--it looks really lovely, and you can garnish with lemon slices.
(But don't cook with lemon slices--the rind seems to get bitter).
You can even serve this cold.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:22 am
marinate salmon in equal amounts of soy sauce and pure maple syrup, put the salmon in a pan sprinkle some pepper over the salmon and broil for a few minutes.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:40 am
NativeMom wrote:
marinate salmon in equal amounts of soy sauce and pure maple syrup, put the salmon in a pan sprinkle some pepper over the salmon and broil for a few minutes.

What's the difference between put maple syrup and regular maple syrup let's say from shop rite?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:43 am
Bambamama wrote:
I do lemon, brown sugar, soysauce and ketchup. Not so exciting, but always turns out yum.

Usually I just estimate amounts, but I'm afraid it won't turn out well and it's for guest. Can you tell me measurments. It doesn't have to be exact, but about.

Bambamama

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:09 am
Fabulous wrote:
Bambamama wrote:

Usually I just estimate amounts, but I'm afraid it won't turn out well and it's for guest. Can you tell me measurments. It doesn't have to be exact, but about.

Sorry, I never measure... I do it slightly differently every time and it's never turned out badly. First I squeeze lemon over the fish to neutralize a fishy smell... Then I mix the brown sugar, soy sauce and ketchup in a bowl... probably equal amounts of everything with variation. And I glaze, not too heavy... (It's been foolproof for me, but I'd feel really bad if it didn't work out for you when you're having guests.)

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:13 am
How do you bake it? Covered? Temp? How long?

TIA and don't worry I won't blame you.

teachby

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:19 am
Last night for dinner I mixed honey and dijon mustard, spread it on salmon, and then topped with chopped pecans. Baked in oven. YUM!!

Bambamama

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:33 am
I bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes on 350... but I have a fear of eating undercooked fish (not to mention serving it to my family and guests)... so my fish is probably usually slightly overcooked.

Leahh

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:50 am
Someone posted on another thread using plain Terriyaki sauce and baking till crispy. I tried it and it was yum! It tasted great and was a big hit. Also looked nice from the coloring. I would definitely make it for guets.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:56 am
Kosher By Design has a great Teriyaki salmon they say to grill. I broil it so the outside has the slightly burnt look to it - It is out of this world.

BBQ salmon salad - cube salmon and bake in a BBQ sauce. Serve on top a bed of Romain lettuce. It is yummy and the presentation is very nice.

Make poached salmon and server on top of dill sauce. It is very simple but so pretty.

If you are interested in any of these let me know and I'll post.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 1:16 pm
sky wrote:
Kosher By Design has a great Teriyaki salmon they say to grill. I broil it so the outside has the slightly burnt look to it - It is out of this world.

BBQ salmon salad - cube salmon and bake in a BBQ sauce. Serve on top a bed of Romain lettuce. It is yummy and the presentation is very nice.

Make poached salmon and server on top of dill sauce. It is very simple but so pretty.

If you are interested in any of these let me know and I'll post.

Thanks so much. can you post the kosher by design recipe?

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 1:40 pm
Teriyaki Salmon
4 small salmon fillets - skin removed (you can ask the fish man to do this for you - it will look nicer)
dijon mustard
3/4 cup teriyaki
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dark brown sugar

Brush fish with mustard. Lay in pan.
Mix rest of ingredients. Pour 1/2 - 3/4 of marinade over the fish
Marinate 1 - 4 hours (can be longer)

KBD directions: Preheat grill. Grill salmon for 6 - 8 minutes per side. Baste with reserved marinade.

How I do it: preheat oven on broiler. Place shelf on 2nd shelf below broiler flame. Cook fish 4 - 6 minutes per side. marinate every 2 - 3 minutes. Keep a very careful eye on it so that it does not burn. You want it be a little dark to get the teriyaki look and even if gets a little charred it is delicous. If you like your fish more well done you may want to cook it a bit longer.

If you don't want to make your oven dirty place the fish with all the marinade in a pan. Bake covered for 25 minutes (or longer if you like your fish more well done). You don't get the same broiled look but it tastes just as good and there is less to clean up.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 1:44 pm
Not the KBD recipe, but for great teriyaki salmon, try this:

For 4 small, skinless salmon filets, combine:
1/2 cup Mikee Sesame Teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 clove crushed garlic (I use 2 frozen cubes)

Spread mixture on both sides of salmon, pouring extra over top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Serve with the sauce poured over it.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:33 pm
Fabulous wrote:
NativeMom wrote:

What's the difference between put maple syrup and regular maple syrup let's say from shop rite?

because corn syrup is added to pancake syrup and I personally like it better

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:36 pm
NativeMom wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
NativeMom wrote:

because corn syrup is added to pancake syrup and I personally like it better

Would it come out good anyway do you think?

greeneyes

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:54 pm
I once posted a recipe for maple balsamic salmon which is delicious. My mother's response when I served this salmon to her was "this tastes like it's from a restaurant." Smile

Here's a link to the thread where I posted the recipe (it's on the 2nd page):
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....hter=

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:55 pm
100% Pure Maple Syrup is a true delicacy of nature, made entirely from the sap of northern sugar maple trees

regular is watered down with other things added to sweeten it ...

personally my recipe is simple and yum
salmon steaks or fillets in disposeable aluminum pan
pour some soy sauce
sprinkle garlic power
bake for 25 min & broil for 5
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics