Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How do you make apple cider doughnuts and/or funnel cakes???

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:05 pm
So dh is a bt and has wanted for more than a decade to eat his apple cider doughnuts and funnel cakes that he misses so much. So, I figured I could make them for Chanukah, but I don't know how. Does anyone have a recipe? Btw, I've never deep fried before either.

HELP! Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:10 pm
Funnel Cake

Ingredients:

1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder

Directions:

1. Beat egg and milk. Mix all other ingredients and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.

2. Using a funnel, drop into hot oil working from center outwards. Remove from the oil when golden brown and crispy.

3. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

Vermont Apple Cider Doughnuts

1 cup Apple cider
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Solid vegetable shortening
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup Buttermilk
3 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp.Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
Vegetable oil or shortening -for frying

1 cup cinnamon-sugar mixed

Boil apple cider in small saucepan until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes; cool. Beat sugar with shortening until smooth. Add eggs and mix well, then add buttermilk and reduced cider. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in another bowl. Add to liquid ingredients; mix just enough to combine. Transfer dough to lightly floured board and pat to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2- to 3-inch doughnut cutter; reserve doughnut holes and reroll and cut scraps. Add enough oil or shortening to fill a deep pan 3 inches; heat to 375'F. Fry several doughnuts at a time, turning once or twice, until browned and
cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove to paper towels with slotted spoon. While still warm, shake a few at a time in a paper bag containing cinnamon sugar. Cool on a rack.

no idea how these taste, I just googled them

BlumaG

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:10 pm
I have no cue about those recipes - wud luv to hear some tho
try www.allrecipes.com or google it
theres a funnel cake kit you can buy I think at bed bath and beyond and other places this time of year for $20 or so

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:13 pm
Mummie - wow thanks! Have you tried these?

Bluma - that's where the idea came from Smile $14.99 at BB&B for a funnel cake set. It comes with a mix, but I obviously can't use that.

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:15 pm
mimi, as I said, I just googled the recipes. if I have time perhaps I'll try them too. I always wanted to try funnel cakes.

tzatza

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:36 pm
Susie Fishbein's KBDST has a recipe for funnel cake. Here it is:
2.5 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk or soy milk
1 cup water plus more if needed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
confectioner sugar for dusting

In 10-inch skillet heat canola of vegetable oil (3/4-inch) over medium heat to 375.

MEanwhile, in a medium boil combine dry ingredients. In the bowl of a mixer, beat milk, water (1 cup), vanilla and egg on medium speed. Add dry ingredients and beat till very smooth.

Hold a thumb over the opening of the funnel. Pour batter into the funnel using ladle or measuring cup. Release the thumb and drop batter in zigzag or circular motions. Do not fill entire skillet because the batter will expand. If the batter is too thin to run through the funnel, add water, 1 tbsp at a time for a total of 7 or 8 tbsp to thin it.
Fry for 30 seconds or until the edges are golden brown. Using thongs, turn the cake over and fry for 20 more seconds. Remove the cake to a paper towel to drain. Dust with confectioner's sugar.

Enjoy!

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:37 pm
Thanks tzatza - have you made them before?

tzatza

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:39 pm
Never, but want to.
I just read your post and remembered seeing the recipe in this book. THe picture looked lovely Very Happy

montrealmommy

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 10:24 pm
I have made funnel cake before - it's devine, for an artery clogging sugar enducing coma treat! lol. it's not hard - just make sure the oil is very very hot (I use less than the recommeded amounts; just enough for something to float in) and work fast - to flow through the funnel, the batter has to be fairly smooth/runny (think loose pudding or semi-congealed jello). I also make them small so that the middle doesn't burn by tge time the outside is ready. They are a fav. of dh's - now I have to go find a krumkaka recipe (norweigan funnel cake) to try - although I doubt it will taste anything like his grandmother's!

Applecider doughnuts - I have a recipe very similar, but I roll it flat and dip in cinn/sugar almost immediately after frying - they are called Beaver's Tails up here and I grew up on them (they sell them piping hot at all the outdoor skating rinks and on the rideau canal in winter!) - it the same basic recipe, but instead of a dougnut, roll it long and failry flat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins