Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Age appropriate question

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:44 am
just curious what others think:

what is a good age to start playing with other children? I mean, if they are both just lying on the mat on the floor, does it even make sense? my daughter is a bit over 6 months old now.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:50 am
I think at that point it's more so YOU can have adult interaction with the mother Smile

My son is 19 months old and I wish there was a kid or two his age nearby who wasn't in Ma'on already. I really think he needs socializing now but I just don't know what to do.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:52 am
I agree with Yesha...

The socialization at this point is for you.....but totally worth it.

SECRET

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:33 am
im guessing its your first? with my first I also liked to seek company as it was not so much the baby but me who was a little bored!
now that I have a few k'nh, im just enjoying the peace when its just me and my 12mth old, coz when the others are home from school, they are all the entertainment I need. but when I do get together with friends its cute to see how the 1 yr olds interact/ignore each other!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:36 am
SECRET wrote:
im guessing its your first? with my first I also liked to seek company as it was not so much the baby but me who was a little bored!
now that I have a few k'nh, im just enjoying the peace when its just me and my 12mth old, coz when the others are home from school, they are all the entertainment I need. but when I do get together with friends its cute to see how the 1 yr olds interact/ignore each other!
nope, im not bored. yes it is my first.

I really was asking in terms of what is a good age for children to start interacting, or being involved in social activities.

RichWithNachas

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:41 am
I have a learning class at my house, and a woman with a 6 and1/2 month old comes with her baby. It's really cute to see how her baby get's excited when she sees my year old. So there is interaction in that sense already.

SECRET

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:56 am
ok if its your first, something really important to teach them is to share as he/she wont learn that at home with no one else around. but still 6 month is really early I'd say by 12mth its good to start exposing them to other kids so they can learn to play together. also at the age of 6mth, especially in winter its not even a good idea to get them together with other kids as they catch germs, colds so quickly. as long as you take the baby out every day for a walk in the fresh air thats all they're gonna need....in my humble opinion!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 6:00 am
SECRET wrote:
ok if its your first, something really important to teach them is to share as he/she wont learn that at home with no one else around. but still 6 month is really early I'd say by 12mth its good to start exposing them to other kids so they can learn to play together. also at the age of 6mth, especially in winter its not even a good idea to get them together with other kids as they catch germs, colds so quickly. as long as you take the baby out every day for a walk in the fresh air thats all they're gonna need....in my humble opinion!!
yeah, I know about that. my baby already has has two pretty bad colds in her short life so far.
thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind. I try to go out every day, altough lately I have not b/c it is so cold outside and she has been getting sick, but I know what you are talking about.

SECRET

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 6:07 am
I have had 2 winter babies and whenever I kept them in for a few days because it was too cold/raining
(especially with the heating on) the minute I took them out again, they caught a cold and then I kept them in again for a few days, until they got better and then it happened again. so I have learnt to take them out every day, even with a cold, it doesnt have to be for long, even 20 min is enough if you have no time, just wrap them up well and you'll see they'll build up a resistance to the cold!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 6:32 am
Your baby has parents, and if he or she sometimes sees visitors or gets out where he or she can observe other people, I think technically that's enough interaction till preschool. My babies seem to actively enjoy being with classmates at around 3. (I satrted my kids at gan from ages 20 months to two and a half.) They enjoy older siblings from much earlier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics