Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can a baby nap while you're out, or must they be in a crib?

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 9:54 am
I'm expecting my first baby, and I had a question about napping.

I know that new babies nap a lot...and that they eventually move to about two good naps per day. What I was wondering, is whether you have to be at home and put your baby in the crib for a nap, or whether you can just go out and nurse your baby to sleep and put them in their stroller/car seat for a nap when the time for their nap comes around.

Sorry, I know I'm probably coming across as a really naive woman without a kid yet. But...I guess that's what I am!!

The reason I'm asking is because, as some of you may have seen on another thread, DH and I would like to go to Israel with our baby at some point during its first year, and I was wondering whether I could be out and about with the baby in a sling or stroller, or whether I'll have to be in the rental apartment for several hours each day while the baby naps.

Thanks so much for your answers!!

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:18 am
My babies slept almost everywhere, in my arm, in a car seat, in a baby carrier.

Infants are very good at sleeping.

myfriends715

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:21 am
at the beginning my kids lest everywhere but when we sleep trained them and got them to sleep through the night (5 months) they only slept in their cribs.. thats the downside of sleep training

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:21 am
Same here. My baby just fell asleep a few minutes ago while my DD was yelling as loudly as she could next to him and we were having a fighting match. He just yawned and closed his eyes. I guess the noise is too regular around here and he's used to it. embarrassed

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:23 am
Unless you win the baby lottery and get one of the really light sleepers (like me; my mother claims she had to have my older sisters tiptoe while I slept) you should be fine. Most babies will sleep anywhere, just try and stop them.

Dance2it

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:25 am
It really depends on how you train them- my kids slept anywhere so I was flexable to do errands and be out of the house. There are pro's and cons to both sides.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:25 am
As long as you have a carseat, a carriage the carseat can snap into, and your baby can still fit safely in the carseat then you can go anywhere with an infant. I find those months are so easy because babies are so 'portable' and you can take them anywhere. (My babies become so huge so fast it doesn't last very long for me) Even now my 10 month old can't safely travel in his infant seat, he is too big, he still loves taking his afternoon nap in it.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:32 am
Ladies,
Thanks so much for all your replies! You've really given me hope that this trip to Israel will be doable with my baby (G-d willing, to be born in 13 weeks). I would hate to have the spend all day in our tiny little rental apartment!

mamacita

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:34 am
My first would nap in the stroller, or more likely in my baby carrier.

#2 will only fall asleep like that if the tiredness is so overwhelming that those tiny eyelids have no choice but to close. They will not usually sleep in someone elses' crib even (as I found out at Ora's unfortunately).

It depends on your baby and what they are used to. Smaller babies tend to be more portable since they just sleep n eat, hehe. Once they become more aware of the world they can keep themselves awake if they choose, and some do!

justanothermother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:34 am
Depends on the baby. My second would ONLY sleep in his crib. Not a pack and play, not his carseat, not a stroller, you get the point. He would go out of his mind from fatigue, but would not fall asleep.

My oldest would sleep anywhere, if she started her nap in the car on the way home, I could wake her up, move her to her crib, and she would fall right back asleep.

My youngest will fall asleep anywhere, but he won't sleep for as long.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it depends on the baby.

ss321

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 12:51 pm
b'h my babies will fall asleep anywhere. DS2 even falls asleep standing up in his jumper! But I feel more comfortable knowing they are sleeping comfortably in a crib, than strapped into a car seat where they arent free to move around and there is noise all around them. I try my best to make sure my baby can take his two-ish naps per day at home, but if it doesnt work out, hell sleep anywhere.

challi

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 1:00 pm
both my kids slept anywhere. With any noise, they also much prefered the sm,aller space of the stroller or car seat or sling and slept much better there. I think the crib made them feel to exposed an alone

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 1:20 pm
and then there are babies who don't sleep!!! Or just take 10 minute naps snterspersed throughout the day, and the rest of the day they need to be held or played with. Some babies will ONLY fall asleep in strollers. Some babies don't just nurse and go to sleep, they then have to be rocked, pushed, cradled, worn, etc. some babies nurse every hour at times for five minutes at a time. Other babies nurse not so often, but can nurse for an hour at a time!! And some babies just need to be worn/held 24/7...and that's just the way they are. There is no way to prepare for any baby until they are born because you never know what they will be like AND you never know what kind of mother you will be until you become one. Some people think they will be a stay at home mother but after a few weeks, feel like they are going crazy. Others think they will continue their intense working schedules only to find out that they really want to be with their baby, etc., etc, etc....so don't make too many plans is all I am saying...

b'shaah tovah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics