Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Getting your 'colors' done
1  2  Next

hinda

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:25 pm
I love color and have ALWAYS wanted to go to Jessica in Westchester county who does your color palette.I kind of know what colors suit me, don't most of us? but I am really eager to get it done properly.I am not in NY now-but will be in afew months-and heard she is now five hundred dollars!! Any ideas of somewhere else to go/call/what to read etc? I saw that some Chinese auction recently had getting your colors done by jessica as a prize-anyone recall which auction that was?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:27 pm
Maybe I'm just fashion ignorant but what does getting your "colors" done mean?

NativeMom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:31 pm
You get analyzed. Jessica tells you which colors look best on you-clothes and makeup. Supposedly it makes a big difference. My MIL went to see her and she carries around this booklet with different samples and colors of fabric, ones that look great on her. I would go see her too because I'm not great with colors but she charges a lot.

Last edited by NativeMom on Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

girliemom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:32 pm
I think she is referring to makeup colors that match with her skin tone & chemistry

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 8:01 pm
ok. Wow, $500 is a lot. I might, empasize might, do it for $50. WOW! I still can't believe. You gon't even get any products for that? Does she even go shopping with you or something?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 9:40 pm
you do get a "product" - you get fabric samples of the colors and textures that you look good on you, attractively arranged in album form in a convenient swatch book that you can take shopping with you.

there is someone new who does colors. she is cheaper than jessica. her name is chana lieder and she is from california (but she sometimes comes to new york).

Rivky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 9:47 pm
Chanie Lieder is just as much. I contacted her about it, she also gave me a price of $500

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 1:39 am
I dunno, do u have to be a major expert in knowing what looks good on u or not?
I figured out for myself what colors look nice on me and what to steer clear of. It's all trial and error.. or no error even. why do I need to pay all that money to get that?
I do makeovers for ppl. with thier coloring in mind.. and what looks good on them.. hmm.. maybe I should raise my prices.. Wink

sllyjllybn

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 2:02 am
some of the colors they give you might surprise you. I had my colors done as a kallah- it was a gift- and I was really surprised. some of the colors were obvious but I had no idea that some colors looked good on me.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:15 am
Why not read articles online, or check out a library book, for starters? Anyway, I read that it's not the color per se that makes all the difference, but the tone behind the color. For example, you can look good in a navy blue that seems to have the sun shining behind it, but bad in a navy blue that appears more wintry.

Just kind of stand back from the mirror and glance casually. In what shades does your face strike you as more vibrant and youthful? Makeup: try a few store samples. What looks like your natural self, only better?

Maybe this is really too simplified - dunno, I don't get $500 for my advice. Surprised

I'm guessing that people don't notice these subtle differences much on women other than themselves. Although once I visited a nursing home, and one resident had on a chic green hat with a blouse in a very complimentary shade. I told her that she looked really good in that outfit, and she brightened, telling me that she used to own a fashion store in Tel Aviv, and she showed me an old photo!

But when I bought eyeliner in the exact shade I wanted, after trying several - did you think anyone realized the difference?

yogajew

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 5:04 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Why not read articles online, or check out a library book, for starters? Anyway, I read that it's not the color per se that makes all the difference, but the tone behind the color. For example, you can look good in a navy blue that seems to have the sun shining behind it, but bad in a navy blue that appears more wintry.

Just kind of stand back from the mirror and glance casually. In what shades does your face strike you as more vibrant and youthful? Makeup: try a few store samples. What looks like your natural self, only better?

Maybe this is really too simplified - dunno, I don't get $500 for my advice. Surprised

I'm guessing that people don't notice these subtle differences much on women other than themselves. Although once I visited a nursing home, and one resident had on a chic green hat with a blouse in a very complimentary shade. I told her that she looked really good in that outfit, and she brightened, telling me that she used to own a fashion store in Tel Aviv, and she showed me an old photo!

But when I bought eyeliner in the exact shade I wanted, after trying several - did you think anyone realized the difference?

$500 is a huge chunk of cash! Wow! Isramom's advice is good though. It sounds more fun to check out some library books, get some fabric samples, buy some new makeup, and have an "analyzing colors" party with some stylish friends. This stuff can't be rocket science (no offense $500 color experts).

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 7:28 am
Rivky wrote:
Chanie Lieder is just as much. I contacted her about it, she also gave me a price of $500

Chanchi Leider.

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 7:31 am
its a lot of money but you could justify it by saying you will now know not to get the wrong clothes, so you won't waste money on buying things that don't suit you, and perhaps don't end up wearing. Of course, this makes more sense if you spend a lot of money on clothes.

NativeMom

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 9:21 am
Raisin wrote:
its a lot of money but you could justify it by saying you will now know not to get the wrong clothes, so you won't waste money on buying things that don't suit you, and perhaps don't end up wearing. Of course, this makes more sense if you spend a lot of money on clothes.

that would be the only reason why I'd pay the $500.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:25 am
I have several friends who have had their colors done. They always look the "same".

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:29 am
I am surprised that chana said $500 too. I think she is flexible. ask her what if you also refer a friend, or even not - she might go down. worth talking to her.

and yes it is possible to save a lot of money by doing this with a professional once and for all. as soon as you have not bought $500 (or whatever amount) of clothing you don't end up wearing, you've "made" the money back. that's $500 in your whole life. I would say for the majority of american woman that amount of money can be "not-spent" fairly quickly.

not to mention that you might be way happier with yourself and the way you look...

in case you can't tell I'm a fan of this process. I carry my color swatches everywhere I go. it is fun and I have not bought ANYTHING I didn't end up wearing happily and often for a few years now.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:50 am
DefyGravity wrote:

Chanchi Leider.

Chanchi? what kind of name is Chanchi?

Fabulous

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:51 am
zaq wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

Chanchi Leider.

Chanchi? what kind of name is Chanchi?

I know a few people with that name.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 11:10 am
I think it is a yiddishized and then americanized nickname for chana.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:

in case you can't tell I'm a fan of this process. I carry my color swatches everywhere I go. it is fun and I have not bought ANYTHING I didn't end up wearing happily and often for a few years now.

In that case it does seem worth it. I was assuming that even after getting one's colors done, one would still buy clothes that she mostly becomes dissatisfied with after a while - a phenomenon that seems built into the fashion business.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics