Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Your opinion about coats I just bought...

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:09 pm
from the children's place:

http://www.childrensplace.com/.....94495

http://www.childrensplace.com/.....95081

I thought they were going to be warm. I got them, and they are so lightweight. Now what Question Sad

challi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:17 pm
you could return them and get something better. What

I just get so annoyed when something online looks amazing and then when it comes its just well..... not. I've had that happen before too. I always say I'm going to complain, but never do I just return it and sigh and then look elsewhere.

Sorry thats really Banging head that they did that, it does look warm and snuggly in the picture!

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:23 pm
from the site's description of the coats

Quote:
Coated for water-resistance and hand-stuffed with polyfill for lightweight, cushiony warmth

sounds like its supposed to be lightweight and still warm. That is a good thing

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:25 pm
Would it work to wear a (zip-up) sweatshirt underneath for added warmth? That's what I'd do.

anon

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:26 pm
I bought the coat because it looked warm, but I was very unsure about it. My husband didnt think it was warm, and my sis-in-law who is an experienced mother and ganenet said it's not good.

GAP has excellent warm children's coats. That's what I ended up buying, after returning the childrens place coat. Since good warm coats are usually more expensive, I only buy them in unisex colors so that I don't have to buy new coats if the next child is a different gender.

SuperMama

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:27 pm
Funny thing is that the do look warm... Can you return them? Give them to someone else? Wear it with a sweater underneath when its not too cold outside? The navy/orange one is very cute.

anon

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:27 pm
Lechatchila Ariber wrote:
from the site's description of the coats

Quote:
Coated for water-resistance and hand-stuffed with polyfill for lightweight, cushiony warmth

sounds like its supposed to be lightweight and still warm. That is a good thing

You have to read what the coat is filled with. I don't think polyfill is the warmest type of "filling". I know down is good, and you want there to be a very high percentage of down (like 80%).

anon

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:30 pm
SuperMama wrote:
Funny thing is that the do look warm... Can you return them? Give them to someone else? Wear it with a sweater underneath when its not too cold outside? The navy/orange one is very cute.

They look warm because they're puffy. But puffy can be misleading if the materials that the coat is made from isn't very warm.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:33 pm
anon wrote:
You have to read what the coat is filled with. I don't think polyfill is the warmest type of "filling". I know down is good, and you want there to be a very high percentage of down (like 80%).

That's what I do. I don't need a down coat here because it doesn't get that cold and my dd doesn't have one. She'll just have to wear layers when we go to NY.

anon

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:37 pm
This is the one that I got. It says on the coat that there is a MINIMUM of 75% down filling. Overall, it's just a yummy warm coat.

http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....59022

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:39 pm
thanks, anon!

greeneyes

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:53 pm
That's funny, anon, because I also bought the children's place jacket for dd, then decided that it wasn't warm enough, so I returned it & bought a jacket from the gap instead. I'm really happy with the jacket from gap, it seems to keep her really warm.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 10:55 pm
I got a similar one from GAP. That one was full price a couple of weeks ago, but another one (also brown, also down-filled, but without a hood) was $30 so I got that.

My kids have had several poly-fill coats, and all were warm. TCP's site is down, so I can't see your links, but I'll give you my opinion on that soon.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 11:38 pm
down is the best for lightweight and warmth ... of course if you live in very cold climates like cleveland or chicago or alaska - you cannot have anything less ...

chaylizi

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 11:48 pm
anon wrote:
This is the one that I got. It says on the coat that there is a MINIMUM of 75% down filling. Overall, it's just a yummy warm coat.

http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....59022

I have a girl's version of that for my toddler. I think I'll get all my kids coats there next year.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 12:20 am
Okay, I took a look. I've seen them IRL, and looked them over- they really seem very warm. I wonder why you think not?

I actually ordered a really cute coat from Target.

http://www.target.com/Toddler-.....age=1

It was described as if it was pretty warm- "Keep Him Warm and Cozy All Winter Long in this Hooded Jacket"

But when I got it... Thin outer shell, thin polyester lining, thin layer of polyester fill. Quilted bubble jacket, indeed. It's a light spring jacket. I didn't return it because I can't stand the hassle of shipping it back and ensuring they credit my account... plus the cost of shipping here and back to them will be lost.
So I'm keeping it to use in the spring.

curlytop

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 12:25 am
I have this coat for my baby from childrens place
http://www.childrensplace.com/.....borns

With the cutest matching hat that they dont have online anymore.
I find it more than warm enough for her... she is in the baby carseat still so most of the time she has a blanket or bundle me lite on top
For my big one that walks around I have a puffy coat from old navy that keeps him toasty

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:56 am
I got 2 of the reversible puffer jackets, they were awful both zippers broke within a week, I ended up sending them both back, and they are sending me a check back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains