Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Something nice to put in guest room
1  2  Next

m0m

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 6:01 am
an unmarried friend is staying over at my house for a week or so. Being that she comes from a totally different background than my FFB- she is from a family of converts. I was wondering how to make her stay exceptionally comfortable... I usually put out fruit and water for guests in their room... such things. but I was wondering if anyone had different ideas. not any going out and spending. thanks

Last edited by m0m on Thu, Jan 08 2009, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 6:12 am
m0m wrote:
my brothers girlfriend is staying over at my house for a week or so. Being that she comes from a totally different background than my FFB- she is from a family of converts. shes young and sweet but shes already slightly uncomfortable due to the differences and meeting new people- so I was wondering how to make her stay exceptionally comfortable... I usually put out fruit and water for guests in their room... such things. but I was wondering if anyone had different ideas. I dont have a lot of money- so not any going out and spending. thanks

What about some magazines or books for her to read and some toiletries that she might not have brought along, like hand lotion.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 6:14 am
Maybe put a nice book from your shelves on the table, with a bottle of water, a candy bar...

Don't put a hand lotion as she won't be able to use it on shabbat.

ss321

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 6:15 am
some magazines, so that she feels like she can relax
I always try to have some things in my guest bathroom ready for guests (obviously there is shampoo and conditioner, soap, toothpaste...), like a sewing kit, safety pins, lotion, eye makeup remover and q-tips, just stuff you would use, so that she can feel at home.

levial

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:30 am
Things to make it easier on shabbat -

Mouthwash - sometimes I forget it and only have a toothbrush - you can do a big thing if you have disposible cups - we do as we have lots of guests

Tehillim or something to study, an inspirational book

Shabbos light - they have great shabbos lamps, or even just a little night light or a timer- everyone is different

I save slippers from nice hotels and put those out too

I have a unisex robe - again if they have to go down the hall - something to throw on and I wash it after people leave

One rose or a flower in a vase is cozy.

Extra blanket and show them where it is

orchidmom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 8:36 am
nash, bottle of water and glass, so she won't have to leave her room every time she wants a drink.

books, magazines etc.

and one flower is nice in a vase without having to spend a lot of money!

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 8:40 am
levial you took my idea ... I was going to say a flower ... I guess that is 3 votes then Flower

you can get a pretty mint and put it on her pillow like the fancy hotels ... Mr. Green

Mommish

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 8:48 am
chocolates! Once when I was a new BT I stayed by a family who put homemade chocolates on the pillows. They were not "fancy" people, but it was a very nice touch. They also had a really nice warm comforter. I am still friends with them. Also don't forget to show her where to find coffee etc in the morning.

dimples

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 9:06 am
towels, magazines, and a little package: hand lotion, tissues, band-aids, eye makeup remover, q-tips, and even a little potpurri (sp?)...

the robe is also a great idea!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 9:19 am
radio

Blair

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 9:23 am
Make the bed with the prettiest sheets wash and use fabric softener so that they smell nice. Also add an extra blanket at the bottom of the bed. Try those new room air fresheners that have the wooden sticks in the bottle they make the room smell so nice. Make sure to leave tissues by the bed. Don't forget the negal vasser bowl and towel. Leave extra fluffy bath towel and hand towel that coordinate with the sheets. It makes the whole room seem nice and warm and inviting. I always leave a Tehillim on the night table.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 11:15 am
An alarm clock! I hate when I have to fumble for a watch in the middle of the night.

I always put out a bath and hand towel, bottles of water and a chocolate bar. I also have a guest book that I like people to sign. It'll be really nice to read through in a few years.

elf123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 3:28 pm
levial wrote:
Things to make it easier on shabbat -

I save slippers from nice hotels and put those out too

Not trying to start up here, I've been in many hotels, maybe not the Plaza or the Waldorf, but which hotels are giving away slippers?

NativeMom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 6:42 pm
I keep a basket in our guest room filled with toiletries like little bottles of shampoo, mouth wash, toothpaste, bars of soup, sewing kit, shower cap, towels, wash cloths etc.

cookielady

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:18 pm
pinktichel wrote:
An alarm clock! I hate when I have to fumble for a watch in the middle of the night.

I always put out a bath and hand towel, bottles of water and a chocolate bar. I also have a guest book that I like people to sign. It'll be really nice to read through in a few years.

Thge guest book idea is so smart!

supermama2

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:36 pm
Gosh...can I come and stay by one of you? LOL

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:39 pm
oh I know someone who calls her guestroom her shabbos hotel and has a book as well ... quite appropo I might add ...

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 3:33 am
elf123 wrote:

Not trying to start up here, I've been in many hotels, maybe not the Plaza or the Waldorf, but which hotels are giving away slippers?

waldorf definitely does. never been to the plaza. w hotels do (although I think the robes cost). wyndham, hilton, sheraton chains all do. israeli hotels like the Dan hotels do, inbal, king david for sure, smaller boutique hotels like resort-y locations like vail aspen salt lake city, etc. miami ones like eden roc fountainbleu(is it open? IDK) do. Maybe not holiday inn but alot of hotels do.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 5:31 am
We always try to put in a plate with rugelach or cake and assorted nuts so that they can nosh in the room without being self conscious. + a bottle of mineral water and plastic cups.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 6:54 am
elf123 wrote:
Hilton Queen of Sheba in Eilat, for one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics