Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Homemade sufganiyot?HOW?

hinda

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 7:57 pm
My seven year old is desperate for us to try this at home-any ideas of an an easy hopefully fool proof recipe?
We don't have a deep fryer
Thanks

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 8:19 pm
Just do it the good old way. Make a dough (recipe son this site galore) and cut out circles with a glass. Let rise until it is as thick as 2 fingers. Then, plop them into a hot pot of oil. Don’t forget the raw carrot to keep the oil from having brown piece sin it. drain on paper towel.

greentiger

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:38 am
Any easy dough recipes? I would love to make sufganiyot but I'm really scared of messing up Smile

StrongIma

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 3:14 pm
add the yeast first to sugar-water to foam before adding it to the flour mixture so you don't have a yeasty taste in the finished product.

chavel10

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 4:00 pm
Check out this recipe the Bais Yaakov Cookbook staff sent out in a mailing that is only available online from the following site http://blog.youpingit.com/2012.....html.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 4:06 pm
eat them fresh!!! or freeze soon after frying.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 4:25 pm
Raisin wrote:
eat them fresh!!! or freeze soon after frying.

You can freeze donuts? I never knew that!

pinkflower

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:13 pm
You dont need a special deep fryer, oil in a pot works too.

Sufganiot: http://www.kosherista.com/node/1036

solo

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 7:32 pm
I think I got this idea on imamother. I set aside a portion of my challah dough after first rise and pinch down and use for sufganiot. Refrigerate till needed then let it rise. Shape and deep fry. Then inject jelly if u like. powder the tops and eat. They're no good the next day though.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 8:00 pm
pinkflower wrote:
You dont need a special deep fryer, oil in a pot works too.

Sufganiot: http://www.kosherista.com/node/1036

But do be careful to use a good, thick, HEAVY pot and monitor the oil temp, because hot oil is a major fire hazard. (Use anything thin and flimsy and you may as well pour oil right on the fire.) Use a flame too low and the oil will soak into the dough and give you heavy, greasy doughnuts; use a flame too high and you risk setting the oil afire. (If the oil does burst into flame, shut off the gas, slam a lid on the pot, and leave the lid in place till the whole mess cools off. Do NOT use water or flour in an effort to douse the flames.) If you can get a hot-fat thermometer that would be ideal.

mom2dkay

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 8:00 pm
Solo, I'm not 100% sure, but if you make a challah dough with the intention of using a portion for another purpose, you don't make a bracha on the dough. Again, I'm not sure, so please ask.

Chalomatok

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 11:23 am
I am pretty sure you make a bracha on any dough or batter that uses enough flour to make a bracha on, regardless of what you're gonna do with it (bake, boil, fry...)
So why wouldn't you make a brocha if you're using some of the challah dough for donuts? Does it have to be enough flour in each batch (so in other words, if using some for challah and some for donuts, it's like 2 separate batches?)
I've always wondered this, if let's say making a lot of cake one day, but not all together, or a few different kinds, when does the mitzvah of challah come in? when you've made one enormous batter, or do you put together all the cakes you made, and consider that?
I know the kitzur says that for matzah, you take challah after its baked, so wondering if cakes are similar?
sorry, I think im hijacking this thread. how do you move it to the appropriate section?

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 1:52 pm
Chalomatok wrote:
I am pretty sure you make a bracha on any dough or batter that uses enough flour to make a bracha on, regardless of what you're gonna do with it (bake, boil, fry...)
So why wouldn't you make a brocha if you're using some of the challah dough for donuts? Does it have to be enough flour in each batch (so in other words, if using some for challah and some for donuts, it's like 2 separate batches?)
I've always wondered this, if let's say making a lot of cake one day, but not all together, or a few different kinds, when does the mitzvah of challah come in? when you've made one enormous batter, or do you put together all the cakes you made, and consider that?
I know the kitzur says that for matzah, you take challah after its baked, so wondering if cakes are similar?
sorry, I think im hijacking this thread. how do you move it to the appropriate section?

1. Challah is taken from dough that is boiled or fried without a bracha.

2. What mom2dkay meant was that according to the Chazon Ish, if one makes one batch of challah dough but intends to split it for different uses (e.g. make some into kokosh cake), the parts of the dough that are used for different things do not combine to make a shiur challah. So someone who makes enough dough to take challah from, but intends to use it for two different things, and neither of those halves are big enough to take challah from, shouldn't take challah from the combined dough.
In general, we pasken that we take challah in such cases without a bracha.

3. If you make enough cake to take challah, you can bake the cakes, combine them in some way, cut of a piece of a cake and burn that as challah. You may be able to combine cakes made of different batters, depending on the situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics