Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Toiveling Dishes

wanderer

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:12 am
What's the halacha in regards to toiveling kitchen products? Dishes, cookware, bakeware, cutlery, appliances, etc? I remember learning that certain kinds of items do not need to be toiveled but I don't remember what. Or am I remembering wrong?

Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:17 am
list each item and what they're made of.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:18 am
In the 4 volume grey Lamed-Tes Melochos set, in the area of Makeh b'Patish, R. Ribiat discusses the inyanim of toiveling, types of keilim toiveled, materials, brocha/no brochah, technique necessary for a kosher tevilah for various keilim, etc. I recently found this to be a very good overview of toiveling keilim b'klal.

To toivel or not depends on materials, type of kli, etc. Even not needing tevilah m'doraisah may still require without a brachah, and there are strong minhagim to toivel many things, again without a brachah.

Actual particulars for an individual should still go to their LOR, but the sefer above gave a very good overview and background IMHO.

wanderer

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:24 am
A silicone brush, a confection sugar sifter, stainless steel sifter, plastic decorating kit, rice cooker/steamer, knife, tfal pot, plastic spice carousel, colander, stainless steel bowl...?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:31 am
I'm not a rav, but I would think:

1. To toivel: rice cooker, knife (I assume a regular knife), the pot, a metal colander?, the bowl....probably all with brochahs (well, one brachoh for all)...
2. the spice rack? I'm not clear why that would need to be toiveled, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is. It basically sounds like a type of shelf to me.
3. What's the brush for?
4. It's possible the sifters may not need to be toiveled, but I'd ask your LOR. Depends what you use them for in theory.

wanderer

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:45 am
Thanks.

The spice rack is a carousel with spice containers. I fill each container with a spice, and place all plastic containers on the carousel. Very neat looking Smile

Brush is for basting meats or any food, while baking in oven.

I bought the sifter only for flour.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 12:31 pm
The spice containers may need to be toiveled, but I don't think the carousel needs to be. (It's not really a kli, it's more like a shelf, you aren't putting actual food on it.)

The brush, probably, but maybe not with a brochah.

Sifter possibly more likely needs to be toiveled since you are using it as an integral part of cooking (not the finishing touches, which some say then it doesn't need, ie. just sifting powdered sugar on cookies may not require a toiveled keli.)

If I didn't have a rav to run this by (and I strongly suggest you ask yours), I'd toivel the questionable things at the same time with the things that must be toiveled with a brochah. might be extra time but then I'd know I'm covered.

Also, some rabbonim say plastic that is reused MUST be toiveled and others say not, so really really please ask LOR.

wanderer

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 1:41 pm
Thank you so much for your help!

StrongIma

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 2:46 pm
in general, any item that food is directly placed on it (and it's not made of wood or other plant fiber) needs to be toiveled. For more particulars, as well as if you should include plastic, etc - ask your LOR!!

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 2:55 pm
General rule of thumb:

Wood & plastic do not need to be toveled, unless attached to something metal. Metal needs to be toveled with a bracha. Glass is debatable, especially if it's Pyrex (halachic status is questionable). I have been told, and I believe the common practice is, to tovel glass AFTER something that for sure needs a bracha, so you've covered the safek without making a bracha l'vatala. Silicone is also up in the air; ask your LOR. (Mine says not necessary.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions