Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Deleted
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Would you buy a $180 raffle ticket (maaser money) for a luxury apartment in Ramat Eshkol?
Yes, sounds exciting!  
 48%  [ 25 ]
No, too rich for my blood  
 40%  [ 21 ]
Yes, if I can make payments  
 11%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 52

Chani

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 4:37 pm
I'd buy a ticket too.

wif

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 5:45 pm
To all those who've epressed interest in buying tickets - thanks! I'll pm you a link once the website is up and running!

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 6:04 pm
Zus wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:
Zus wrote:
because we have a true housing crisis going on here at the moment, for the most part because many apartments are owned by foreigners who don't live there all the time. It's driving up the prices for real estate AND it's taking up space, which we don't have much of. As a result, jerusalemites who actually live in the city are being driven out because they can't afford to buy there.

Zus I'm not sure which area of Jerusalem you are situated in, but in Ramat Eshkol and surrounding areas (Arzai, Maalot Dafna, Sanhedria, etc.) It is very rare to find an empty apartment. I agree with you that the outlandish price hiking is due to the infiltration of foreigners but as far as 'apartments sitting empty', not so in this neighborhood. It is very rare to find any empty apartment at all. Unless maybe you were referring to foreigners buying them and then renting them out? Or maybe you meant neighborhoods where older American's purchase "retirement homes" like Rechavia? Perhaps I am just misunderstanding, but you've mentioned it several times on this thread and all I kept thinking is, goodness I've lived here for many years now, and I don't know of any empty apartment. Please explain.

It's not so much the empty apartments but rather the fact that chutznikim buy them drive up the prices of real estate.

I actually agree with you. but I think someone buying a raffle ticket is probably a not so wealthy person to begin with, and they will not be able to afford to have an empty apartment sitting there. And who says they have money to fly their family out there once or twice a year?

What might happen is someone will win it, and they will say, yeah, we can finally acheive our dream of making aliya! Or lets rent it out meanwhile, until we can make aliya.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 8:27 pm
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:
A real apartment? That's crazy!

Please explain to me how this is an appropriate use of amother. How does it not break the stated rules?

are you the new mod ???

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 3:36 am
Oh Ok Zus. I hear what you're saying. Thanks for the clarification.

To some extent I agree with you. I agree that the prices in these areas would not be so crazy and getting steadily crazier if not for the chutznikim infiltration.

However.....

The Americans aren't the one raising the prices. The Israeli Baal Dirah's who see every American as little dollar signs and then say to themselves, "Hey, they must be rich. Let's see how much rent I can get away with asking." He asks for something crazy, gets it, and then his neighbor does the same to his tenants. And so on. All the Americans in my neighborhood who got phone calls this year out of the blue from their landlords saying that he's raising the rent $300...how are they to blame?

So yes it is BECAUSE of Americans that the prices went up. But I wouldn't blame them. No one moves in to a neighborhood asking to pay more. I agree that the Baal Dirahs wouldn't have pulled this stuff on any Israeli because it just wouldn't be an option there, but I don't think it's fair to place blame. I certainly didn't ask for a rent hike, nor am I a "rich American". If an American wants to live in Yerushalayim, should they not be permitted because they will force the neighborhoods rent up? (Especially when the Baal Dirahs are the ones doing the rent-raising here.)

Inspired

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 4:39 am
greenfire wrote:
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:
A real apartment? That's crazy!

Please explain to me how this is an appropriate use of amother. How does it not break the stated rules?

are you the new mod ???

No, thanks for asking, I'm not. If I was I wouldn't be asking the mod to explain the rules to me. Thank you for your concern.

Now, can you please stop harassing me? This is the third third in a row where you responded to me in this manner, my post was not directed at you. If you have an issue with me take it to pm, or a mod.
Thank you.

Strawberry

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 4:45 am
Zus wrote:
The idea of the raffle is nice. But I agree about the maaser money, that's not for raffle tickets.
However, I'm not sure I like the idea of yet another foreign person owning an apartment in Jerusalem, which will stay empty most of the year. It's becoming a huge problem in Jerusalem.

Who said a foreigner will win the apartment? I plan on buying a ticket and I live here. Someone in Israel who needs an apartment can win it and live in it.

Metukah

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 5:09 am
wif wrote:
To all those who've epressed interest in buying tickets - thanks! I'll pm you a link once the website is up and running!

please do

Zus

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 11:37 am
Strawberry wrote:
Zus wrote:
The idea of the raffle is nice. But I agree about the maaser money, that's not for raffle tickets.
However, I'm not sure I like the idea of yet another foreign person owning an apartment in Jerusalem, which will stay empty most of the year. It's becoming a huge problem in Jerusalem.

Who said a foreigner will win the apartment? I plan on buying a ticket and I live here. Someone in Israel who needs an apartment can win it and live in it.

Yes, sure! Smile
But if tickets are being sold abroad, there is also a chance that a foreigner will win:)

Strawberry

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 3:27 pm
Zus wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
Zus wrote:

Yes, sure! Smile
But if tickets are being sold abroad, there is also a chance that a foreigner will win:)

I always think I'll win one of these raffles. Somehow I never do What . Hey maybe this time Tongue Out ...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 8:36 am
Mrs.K wrote:
The Americans aren't the one raising the prices. The Israeli Baal Dirah's who see every American as little dollar signs and then say to themselves, "Hey, they must be rich. Let's see how much rent I can get away with asking." He asks for something crazy, gets it, and then his neighbor does the same to his tenants. And so on. All the Americans in my neighborhood who got phone calls this year out of the blue from their landlords saying that he's raising the rent $300...how are they to blame?

So yes it is BECAUSE of Americans that the prices went up. But I wouldn't blame them. No one moves in to a neighborhood asking to pay more. I agree that the Baal Dirahs wouldn't have pulled this stuff on any Israeli because it just wouldn't be an option there, but I don't think it's fair to place blame. I certainly didn't ask for a rent hike, nor am I a "rich American". If an American wants to live in Yerushalayim, should they not be permitted because they will force the neighborhoods rent up? (Especially when the Baal Dirahs are the ones doing the rent-raising here.)

Yes, us baal diras are just awful, because we bought high but saw the potential to make money from the American clientel. Shame on us for making money to buy food and diapers for our family. Terrible for taking a risk and cashing in on it.

If you don't have compassion when prices are down, you cannot be angry when the prices are up.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 8:42 am
I hope someone who really needs it wins!

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:

Yes, us baal diras are just awful, because we bought high but saw the potential to make money from the American clientel. Shame on us for making money to buy food and diapers for our family. Terrible for taking a risk and cashing in on it.

If you don't have compassion when prices are down, you cannot be angry when the prices are up.

You've misunderstood me completely. I myself am a Baal Dirah, thank you very much.

All I said (In response to a previous post) was that I don't think it's fair to hope an American doesn't win the apartment because "they force rent to go up." I don't think it's fair to blame the renter for price hikes. I never called you awful. Do whatever you want, it's your apartment.

Zus

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 9:09 am
Oh, I'm not talking about the price of rental apartments. I meant to buy an apartment is something no normal israeli can afford anymore in Jerusalem.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 11:44 am
Mrs.K wrote:
amother wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:

You've misunderstood me completely. I myself am a Baal Dirah, thank you very much.

All I said (In response to a previous post) was that I don't think it's fair to hope an American doesn't win the apartment because "they force rent to go up." I don't think it's fair to blame the renter for price hikes. I never called you awful. Do whatever you want, it's your apartment.

Oh. Okay. I feel silly. I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder from real-life encounters with people who are being supported by their parents and say that we, who are doing the best that we can on our our saleries and the rent from the apartement we own, are the evil ones. Sorry to take it out on you.

But in a way...it is the renter's fault. (or rather, their parents!) Supply and demand. If the price was too high for them, it would go lower.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 11:49 am
Clarification--if I'm translating right Ball Dirah is literally "apartment master." I assume you're talking about a landlord, right? Sorry, my Hebrew is dreadful. embarrassed

Zus

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 11:51 am
baal dirah literally means apartment owner, aka landlord.

wif

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:10 am
fyi - The raffle is going ahead. The website is supposed to be up in a few days!

EvenI

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:36 am
amother wrote:

But in a way...it is the renter's fault. (or rather, their parents!) Supply and demand. If the price was too high for them, it would go lower.

It is more likely the fault of a minority of renters, (or their parents). The problem is that the rents are crushing for the majority. Rent in my neighborhood for a small apartment is about the same as what is considered a decent salary!

Atali

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:38 am
Can you PM me a link as well?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics