Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Non kosher cookbooks
1  2  Next

beth

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 2:58 pm
Can anyone recommend some good non kosher cookbooks that are still worth buying?Did anyone try martha stewart or ina garten?

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 3:09 pm
beth wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good non kosher cookbooks that are still worth buying?Did anyone try martha stewart or ina garten?

Help us out ... what are you looking for? Do you like cooking? Fancy, not fancy?

The cookbook I have that gets used the most is the original (well, revised original) Moosewood. I've never had a bad experience with a recipe, and they're generally simple enough for 10-thumbs-in-the-kitchen me.

I'm on Weight Watchers, and have several of their cookbooks, all of which are well-used.

I'm also a devoted fan of recipezaar dot com.

LaLaLand

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 6:21 pm
Cook's Illustrated!!!!

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 6:23 pm
I love the Silver Palate books, I hear Ina Garten's books are great. I hear mixed things about Martha Stewart's recipes. There are a million good cookbooks out there. I have lots of unkosher ones (including some old classics, and many vegetarian) and just love perusing the cookbook section at Barnes & Noble.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 6:27 pm
this is going to sound stupid, but I love the family fun cookbook. such good recipe ideas that everyone in the family will eat (maybe)

cassandra

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 6:27 pm
I love Ina Garten, but her books don't contain that many recipes and many of them are not adaptable for kosher. (In one of the cookbooks I'd say it's about 50%.) I don't like Martha Stewart as much.

These days I prefer using the internet for recipes rather than investing in books- more options, less commitment.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 6:39 pm
I have a better homes and gardens new cookbook that I love. It is falling to peices so I can't even see its name but it had a red check cover at one point. It has all the classic recipes, plus lots of how to sections - how long to roast meat for, how long to cook vegetables, how to cook different cuts of meat and so on. also it has calories for each recipe. there are a few recipes I can't use, but plenty I can.

I think they keep updating it, and I can't see what year mine was published...but I imagine they are all similar.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:16 pm
I have a number of Maida Heatter's (most of you [even I am] are too young to remember her father Gabriel Heatter, but he was a very famous WWII era radio journalist and many recipes came from famous people with whom he was in touch) dessert & cookie cookbooks from which I have made many recipes. There are even a number of recipes than can be used or adapted for Pesach usage.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:41 pm
cassandra wrote:

These days I prefer using the internet for recipes rather than investing in books- more options, less commitment.

I second that! Plus you can read reviews. I use RecipeZaar.

soldat

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:43 pm
betty crocker

NativeMom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:28 pm
There are a couple good recipes in the book "Baking with Julia" I've also gotten a few good recipes from magazines like Better Homes and Gardens and Family Circle.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:39 pm
dd just got one from Betty Crocker, another was Rachel Ray, and a third for the beg. cook, all in the clearance/bargain at Border's.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:43 pm
I love the betty croker one

My mother has a good hosekeeping one that is also really good

sky

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 9:02 pm
the Joy of cooking.

I use it all the time it has every possible imaginable recipe in there and it has basic information about every day food.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:42 pm
I tend to use the internet and the recipe book my mother made for me when I got married.

The cookbooks I LOVE are
Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone (which is basically an encyclopedia for cooking every plant under the sun)
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Tzippora

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:45 pm
AM, ever tried the Candle Cafe cookbook (I want to try the Seitan Chimichurri) or the Angelica's Kitchen cookbook. Both are vegan/veggie cookbooks that are really good and might be your style.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:51 pm
Tzippora wrote:
AM, ever tried the Candle Cafe cookbook (I want to try the Seitan Chimichurri) or the Angelica's Kitchen cookbook. Both are vegan/veggie cookbooks that are really good and might be your style.

I've heard good things about both of them (I have a friend who loves the candle cafe) but I don't have them.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:52 pm
I usually check out a bunch of cookbooks from the library. The ones that I frequently check out are Rachael Ray's books, Giada De Laurentiis, and the Moosewood cookbooks.

Chani

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 7:58 pm
The one I go to again and again is the Yesterday Today and Tomorrow cookbook. A great general cookbook with a Southern flavor to it. It doesn't have any photos, but I've never made anything from it which wasn't good.

I also have a couple of different Southern Living cookbooks which are great. (What can I say? You can take the gal out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the gal!)

ihyphenated

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:34 pm
AM, once again you are my cookbook twin.
also, in general on the awesomeness of Isa and Terry- husband and I met Isa and Terry at NYU 2 yrs ago- they were giving a cooking class on how to make their vegan waffles!! also they are so cool. and the first episode of Post Punk Kitchen (their web-cooking-show) is a PESACH show!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics