Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Very colicky baby - breastfeeding and foods to avoid.

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:12 pm
It's 4 and a half years since I breastfed a newborn so I've totally forgotten what foods and drinks to avoid during breastfeeding, so I was hoping you ladies could help me. Yehuda is 3 weeks old today and we are having major trouble trying to settle him, he is so unsettled and crying for about two to three hours in the evening. Yehuda also is really bad at bring his wind up it usually goes out the bottom end of him. So any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

supermama2

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:44 pm
W/ one DS who had colic I found that he couldn't stand red sauce or pasta.. no spaghetti Sad for me then...
Broccoli, spices other than salt and pepper.. I'm sure there's much more than I can remember right now.

Hatzlacha!

mother48

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:57 pm
also cabbage, onions, chocolate.

Strongly recommend Mylicon drops or Little Tummy Drops. They don't get absorbed in the system, and are totally safe-you can't overdose.

if it's every evening, it may not be food related.

newmom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:01 pm
Garlic, gassy veggies, spices.
I second the mylicon.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:06 pm
I've heard so many foods that should be avoided. Here is some of them:

onion, garlic, spices, gassy veggies such as broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, peppers, nuts, raisins, chocolate, caffeine.

There is always the issue with dairy intolerance. And if a reflux problem anything acidic such as juice, tomatoes, ketchup, oranges...

If your baby is fine most of the day and his crying is only specific hours I would think that maybe at that point in time your baby is overtired, overstimulated or just plain colicky which will only be helped with time.

Good luck!

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:11 pm
might be reflux.

mimivan

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 11:23 pm
This baby gave us a break at the beginning, but is beginning his colic late (he started being colicky at 3 mos and now is 4 mos)

For Coffee drinkers: I'll warn you against decaf! I personally think it is worse than reg coffee...

I've had this the second time now, and I thought it was just the previous baby...but I think the decaf I was drinking (I was drinking alot of it because I thought since it had no caff. it was okay) was causing major gas...(esp. alot of backside gas)...someone told me the chemicals used in processing are hard for a baby to deal with, in addition to the fact it is acidic.

While it is best not to drink any caff while nursing, I've found ONE cup of caff..Turkish coffee (not so processed) is better than drinking alot of decaf.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:48 am
jewishmamathebest wrote:
It's 4 and a half years since I breastfed a newborn so I've totally forgotten what foods and drinks to avoid during breastfeeding, so I was hoping you ladies could help me. Yehuda is 3 weeks old today and we are having major trouble trying to settle him, he is so unsettled and crying for about two to three hours in the evening. Yehuda also is really bad at bring his wind up it usually goes out the bottom end of him. So any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Before cutting out foods, I'd first check into overactive letdown....this causes gulping at the breast and a lot of excess air as a result. It also many times results in high-lactose milk being the majority of the feeding which can irritate the gut.

Other than that, the FIRST thing I would take out is dairy. That's the most likely culprit if it's food related. Wait a few weeks before deciding if it's the cause or not, as it can take time for it to leave your system.
I'd hold off on taking out other things just yet.

BTW, I figured out if I go on a chocolate binge, my baby's diapers turn orange Twisted Evil I guess I should stop Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:52 am
I have to double check, but I've heard not so good things about one gas medication and it may have been Mylicon. (It's a recent thing that hasn't been circulated so widely...)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:56 am
Never mind, it was Zantac that alters pH.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 12:21 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
jewishmamathebest wrote:

Before cutting out foods, I'd first check into overactive letdown....this causes gulping at the breast and a lot of excess air as a result. It also many times results in high-lactose milk being the majority of the feeding which can irritate the gut.

Other than that, the FIRST thing I would take out is dairy. That's the most likely culprit if it's food related. Wait a few weeks before deciding if it's the cause or not, as it can take time for it to leave your system.
I'd hold off on taking out other things just yet.

BTW, I figured out if I go on a chocolate binge, my baby's diapers turn orange Twisted Evil I guess I should stop Wink

Wow Hashem_Yaazor this sums it up. Yehuda goes on he gulps and gulps there is milk everywhere. He comes off I have to stop the milk supply with a towel then he goes back on for another few seconds. This goes on for about 5 minutes. Then he sucks for about n3 minutes comes off looks full. Takes about 30 minutes to burp. Then might go on for about 8 minutes sucks better but very noisily!!!!!! Then comes off and takes again ages to burp. Most the time he does not bring anything up, he is forever dirtying his nappies, but they are yellow. Yehuda is putting on good weight and he is very active when he is awake. So how can I help with this overactive letdown?

I'am not having that much diary stuff so I don't think it is down to that. I live in the UK we don't have Mylicon drops or Little Tummy Drops we have something called Infacol, we are trying this at the moment.

I'am also sure it is not reflux as he is very rarely sick. Thanks for all the replys!!! Wink

adel

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:50 pm
you should eliminate all msg. the fda lets this be listed multiple ways so beware! also you should eliminate all food colorings. if you can just stop anything out of a box or jar or can or prpared frozen package and eat from scratch you'll more safely avoid these. but be careful if, afterwards, you add "mixed seasoning spices" to your recipes from scratch. you could be sprinkling on msg or colorings and not know it. eliminate caffeine. eliminate all artificial sweetners. drink herbal teas and never soda. you can pm me for more.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:54 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Never mind, it was Zantac that alters pH.

wait, my kid is on zantac...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 12:29 pm
I've read little about it, kikavu, but what I've read seems to indicate they're looking at a connection between that and SIDS due to the altered pH. Take this with a grain of salt, and follow your maternal instincts into what is best for your baby. I'm just not into rushing into it if possible...(Yes, I've had a GERD baby so I am not speaking out of ignorance. But he was also my first and I could hold him all day...)

jewishmamathebest, here you go:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/sup......html

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:31 am
I cut out:

Dairy
tomatoes
peppers
cucumbers
oranges
cabbage
broccoli
melons

I still had a kvetchy baby but she wasn't gassy. After 2 colicky ones, I got it right by cutting all this out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics