Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Coca-cola chicken
1  2  Next

challi

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:11 pm
I've heard of this recipe though never really tried it. What do you do? just put the soda over the chicken?

Anything else and how much.

p.s. is it really as good as it is hyped up to be?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:14 pm
There are different variations of coca cola chicken. I used to make a couple different kinds and they were good.

The recipe I had involved ketchup, coke, vinegar, and a bit of mustard, iirc.

challi

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:18 pm
how much?
I could use an idea of ratio of how much to how much if no-t exact measurements do you use a whole bottle of coke?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:21 pm
Don't remember, it's been years since I made it.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:28 pm
I've never tried it, but I noticed a recipe for coca-cola chicken in Quick & Kosher. Do you have that cookbook?

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:32 pm
Why don't you gals do a google search for "coca cola chicken", there are literally TONS of recipes out there!

Teacup9

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:38 pm
I think the easiest and most classic recipe is where you drink half the coke, stick the can in the cavity of the chicken and roast it.

Strudel

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:39 pm
Teacup9 wrote:
I think the easiest and most classic recipe is where you drink half the coke, stick the can in the cavity of the chicken and roast it.
shock

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:39 pm
Haven't I posted coke chicken recipes before? I'v certainly made it enough times. It's a real Souther dish!

challi

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:42 pm
midwest wrote:
Teacup9 wrote:
shock

Is that safe?? shock

anyway I can't get a whole chicken. I was hoping someone would have a tested and tried recipe they could tell me was good, especially since coke isn't one of my usual chicken spices and I'm not sure what flavors go with it. But if it comes to it I'll google it.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:43 pm
That's what I'd do, but people here have obviously never heard of recipezaar or any other recipe website.

challi

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:47 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
That's what I'd do, but people here have obviously never heard of recipezaar or any other recipe website.

I do use some recipe sites, but I really wanted someone to post a recipe they use regularly and that they really like since using coke on chicken seems so foreign to me so I can't tell what would be a good recipe and what sounds bad.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:49 pm
I've had it but never made it myself. I've seen recipes that call for one or two cups coke (not diet) I've even seen a recipe that said you could substitute with sprite. I think I saw that you add onion soup mix and maybe sliced onions as well.

Teacup9

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:50 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

I don't think it is that. I ask my friends for recipe recommendations all the time even though I could use google or a cook book. Posting on imamother looking for recipe advice is like asking a wider network of friends. Many recipes out there on the Internet are just bad.

Teacup9

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:53 pm
challi wrote:
midwest wrote:
Teacup9 wrote:
shock

Is that safe?? shock

anyway I can't get a whole chicken. I was hoping someone would have a tested and tried recipe they could tell me was good, especially since coke isn't one of my usual chicken spices and I'm not sure what flavors go with it. But if it comes to it I'll google it.

Yes, it is actually quite popular. So is beer can chicken. You can even make it on the grill.

If you can't get a whole chicken let me first say how sorry I am! I feel like chicken only really tastes like chicken when it is cooked whole. Cola has sugar and caramel flavoring to sweeten and the phosphoric acid tenderizes it. Ketchup and/or powdered onion soup mix work really well with it.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:54 pm
I don't know, I trust many recipe websites more than I trust recipes here. On many of the websites I use, you can see ratings and critiques from people that have tried the recipe in question. I feel like here, people aren't so up front if a recipe doesn't work out.

I think I've only tried 2 recipes here, but I use online sites all the time.

Chani

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:59 pm
Coke works great for brisket, so why not for chicken?

I've had good success with the recipes I've tried from here, personally.

Mommy007

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:10 pm
all this talk about soda is makin me thirsty!!!!!

sky

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:18 pm
Teacup9 wrote:
challi wrote:
midwest wrote:
Teacup9 wrote:
shock

Is that safe?? shock

Yes, it is actually quite popular. So is beer can chicken. You can even make it on the grill.

We've done this with a beer can on the grill. Just stand the chicken over the can. They even make special holders to support the chicken better.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:22 pm
I once saw this article in the NY Times where chefs were interviewed about their surprising secret ingredients. Coke and ketchup came up quite a bit. I make a cake that uses Coke, and I certainly add ketchup to plenty of things, but nobody would know by tasting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey