Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Nebraska...
Previous  1  2

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 12:31 am
Chani ur awesome! thank you!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 1:03 am
Chani wrote:
There's everything from new houses to older homes... you'll definitely get a nice house for the money compared with most cities. Here's a 5 bedroom 4 bath house for $180k that looks very nice: http://www.realtor.com/search/.....sn=34

Hey, are those houses in the eruv? LOL

Anyway, ClaRivka, when it comes to parnassa, sometimes we just have no choice. Been there. I would suggest going down there, of course after consulting with ImaNebraskaMaven, and see for yourself what it's all about.
Ask about all the things that are important: kehilla, mikva, kosher shopping, how everyone gets along, what the winter/summers are like etc and then make a more educated decision.
You know the saying: meshaneh makom, meshaneh mazal! I guess the ILs won't be going with you..... Very Happy
Good luck!

alpidarkomama

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 1:36 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
doing what? can we come along? We're badly in need of some solitude.

You made me laugh out loud!!!! We've been mulling over and over which community to move to... My husband is applying to jobs all over the place (on our short list of 10-12 communities) and we're pretty much going to leave it to Hashem, barring really hating the place when we visit. Smile What we'd really like to do is have him telecommute, buy a cow, and make cheese (for us). But the children, the children. Smile

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 3:00 am
ClaRivka wrote:
whoever is from Omaha, speak up!

quite demanding - aren't we ... Confused

I think you and your dh should rent a mobile home and travel across the states ... see where YOU feel most comfortable ... Idea

what's next on the list - I don't imagine cleveland Twisted Evil

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 3:11 am
ClaRivka wrote:
Thanks Chani!

nothing for 60 miles! My dream! as long as ive got a walmart and a way to get kosher food im fine. (the nirbater will fly in whatever we need so im not worried abt it.)
A mikvah..do they have one in lincoln or will I have to go to omaha?
whats the housing like in the area?

Just asking, what would you do about schools and friends for the children? Shabbat? Shul? Chagim?
I guess that, for me, school and friends would be the biggest issues. I just can't imagine living in a place like that but this is DHs dream (luckily no men are allowed to read imamother Wink ).
Good luck, I hope this life works for you guys.

StrongIma

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 3:55 am
how long do you have to commit to, at first? can you rent for starters?

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 5:12 am
chanchy123 wrote:
ClaRivka wrote:
Thanks Chani!

nothing for 60 miles! My dream! as long as ive got a walmart and a way to get kosher food im fine. (the nirbater will fly in whatever we need so im not worried abt it.)
A mikvah..do they have one in lincoln or will I have to go to omaha?
whats the housing like in the area?

Just asking, what would you do about schools and friends for the children? Shabbat? Shul? Chagim?
I guess that, for me, school and friends would be the biggest issues. I just can't imagine living in a place like that but this is DHs dream (luckily no men are allowed to read Imamother Wink ).
Good luck, I hope this life works for you guys.

No children yet so I can commit to atleast 3 years...
I have lived in chicago with no social life, im sure I can do it in Nebraska.
And my husband doesnt NEED to daven with a minyan.

ROFL

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 5:46 am
Good luck on your move ! it can be a wonderful experience ! ( since you do not have to worry about children and schools it is a good time for you to go!)
You can learn alot living a life away from a community -- You can be shining star and teach people the positive aspects of the Jewish religion. ( after the negative press in Iowa)

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 5:51 am
I think the most important thing is who the other families are. You will be living in very close contact with them, more then likely. schooling and so on won't be a worry for at least another few years. (even when you have kids - iyh very soon - you can easily homeschool them till about 5 years old)

Also what might happen is that the other shochtim commute weekly leaving their wives and families so there will be few or no other women there.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 8:37 am
ClaRivka wrote:
whoever is from Omaha, speak up!

I have a friend from Omaha who has been living in New York for the last 20 years. Her family still lives there. lemme know if you want me to put you in touch with her.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:31 am
Go on www.chabad.org. click on centers, find Nebraska and contact the shluchim. I am sure they will give you all the info you need

brbs

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 4:00 pm
I lived in Omaha for a year.. My husband and I ran the youth programming and NCSY at the local Orthodox shul... The community there is nice, very little knowledge of yiddishkeit but very homey...
There is a mikvah in the JCC building. It is beautiful but no mikvah lady so you have to bring a "friend"
One of the local supermarket chains is owned by a frum family so they bring in all sorts of kosher meat and any other food. Please feel free to ask me anything and I will try to answer as best as I can. We lived there from 03-04 Rocheyl@gmail.com
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating