Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg
1  2  3  Next

mimivan

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:40 am
My apologies for not posting this on the Sussie Essman thread, but it seems to have been removed..or at least I can't find it.

I did not want to watch the clip before Shabbat so as not to be put in a terrible mood.

It was bad, but not as horrible as I thought...She is a very cynical type, people were laughing hysterically because she is a comedienne so people expect her to be funny, right.

First of all, Joy Behar is not Jewish (the red-haired woman who was making such a big deal of how funny she was)...she is an Italian married to a Jew. So, from my experience (in my own family) non-Jews married to Jews really can be quite defensive and have an ax to grind. So it is not surprising she bought into Essman's type of humor.

The two women cracking up on the far end were just stupid IMHO

I noticed right away, as the camera moved back, that Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg were not laughing. In fact, they looked very not amused...(I am not posting the clip to avoid getting this thread locked)..you can find it by Googling Loving Leah ...

In fact, Whoopi sternly changed the subject to Sussie's wedding.
Sure, Barbara Walters could have spoken up and said something...but not everyone was laughing (Walters is Jewish, right??)

I hate the idea that they made a movie about a Levirite marriage, something which almost NEVER happens in this day and age...actually, it is strongly discouraged and people are told to do the ceremony...
oh well...Posting something on my blog about this.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:43 am
Quote:
First of all, Joy Behar is not Jewish (the red-haired woman who was making such a big deal of how funny she was)...she is an Italian married to a Jew. So, from my experience (in my own family) non-Jews married to Jews really can be quite defensive and have an ax to grind. So it is not surprising she bought into Essman's type of humor.

Actually, it seemed as if Joy was somewhat uncomfortable with it. When Sussie remarked about how ugly everyone is, Joy said something like, you got that in every community, some pretty some not.

Whatever it was, the entire thing was tasteless.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:46 am
Actually, I DID notice that Whoopie remained quiet during the 'Jewish' part of the discussion and Joy Behar did actually attempt a half-hearted defense.

The problem is IMO, it went on for too long. As soon as Essman started getting snarky, someone should have changed the subject. I mean really. "Babab Wawa" has been doing in-depth interviews since before I was born and she could have moved things along better.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:49 am
Thanks for your observations, Mimivan. Spot on, as usual.
yesha, I'm not familiar with that program but I wonder if Baba wawa actually could have moved things along. Who exactly is running the show there?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:51 am
I think as far as seniority and credibility as an interviewer, Barbara Walters is hands-down the queen on the show... or should be. Frankly I don't watch it so I really couldn't say... but simply based on what I know of the personalities that warm the seats....

mimivan

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:52 am
I think it is her concept, her show etc...
but perhaps since she is Jewish (yes, found this out on Wiki) she didn't want to feel like she was prejudiced in favor of her own if she were to censor??
Still, she had a big moment of weakness IMHO...but thank G-d she wasn't laughing...

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:58 am
Thumbs Up Mimivan, as usual!

daisy

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:17 am
Link to clip from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsfTtyjNoew

mama-star

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:31 am
ok, I finally saw the clip. I wasn't impressed. it gave the wrong impression of lubavitchers, something susie essman really knows nothing about. for instance, many lubavitch women are classy, with gorgeous sheitls, and dress s-xy (I'm not supporting that last part, I'm just saying).

anyway, I don't know if anyone mentioned this on the deleted thread, but susie essman can only get away with this b/c she's jewish herself. it's like a black person calling another black person a ...

a white person could never call a black person that b/c then it would be racist. so I think susie essman's rudeness is a variation on that theme.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:34 am
Honestly, I'd be much more horrified had the conversation been the opposite. embarrassed

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:50 am
Personally, I think the movie itself is also a huge problem.

I mean really, what is it with Jewish writers and their need to write movies and tv shows about obscure Halachot that haven't been practiced for hundreds of years?

Would a movie about people being burned at the stake in modern-day England by the Anglican Church ever see the light of day??

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:55 am
I was under the impression that yibum is prohibited now, bc it's considered "vile" and there's an inyan that if the nationa are more strict than the Torah, we should not be less strict than the nations.

This is also why certain relationships are prohibited now, even though d'oraisa there's nothing wrong with it. It's bc the velt sees them as vile.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:17 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Personally, I think the movie itself is also a huge problem.

I mean really, what is it with Jewish writers and their need to write movies and tv shows about obscure Halachot that haven't been practiced for hundreds of years?

Would a movie about people being burned at the stake in modern-day England by the Anglican Church ever see the light of day??

great point!
they wouldn't have been sitting there having that discussion if it weren't for the dumb premise of the film...

Hallmark entertainment??? is this supposed to be family entertainment...why don't they do their research if they want to show the "warm and fuzzy human side" of "other faiths"

This would NEVER happen Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

bubby

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:17 am
This movie is on ABC tonight. I feel sick. Someone @ work is going to try to talk to DH about it tomorrow & he won't have a clue what they're talking about. Should I warn him? Rolling Eyes

The biggest audience will be Jews. Just what we need right now, correct?

LeahW

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:41 am
In the movie, the secular brother is a double amputee who doesn't own a pair of shoes... and Susie Essman's daughter in the movie has a medical condition where she is unable to produce saliva. So before all of you make assumptions about how ridiculous the film is, you should watch it, it all makes perfect sense.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:42 am
LeahW wrote:
In the movie, the secular brother is a double amputee who doesn't own a pair of shoes... and Susie Essman's daughter in the movie has a medical condition where she is unable to produce saliva. So before all of you make assumptions about how ridiculous the film is, you should watch it, it all makes perfect sense.

Oh, right. now it isn't ridiculous....

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:47 am
Looking at the clip again Whoppie looked mad enough to spit...and Barbara wasn't smiling either.

I do wonder what would have happened if they went on to disparage any other cultural group.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:51 am
well...the way the women dressed (at least on the clip) was completely inaccurate. I don't think I've seen ANYONE ever dress in those kinds of blouses. My goodness, there are so many well-dressed religious, chassidish women.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:52 am
Bubby, not only would warn him but I would have him prep a response or maybe even preactively bring the subject up; as in Many of you, or your spouses may have seen (Whatever the show is called last night.) for those who want the truth..."

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:53 am
octopus wrote:
well...the way the women dressed (at least on the clip) was completely inaccurate. I don't think I've seen ANYONE ever dress in those kinds of blouses. My goodness, there are so many well-dressed religious, chassidish women.

The blouses looked straight out of the 50's.
And since when do Lubavitch women NOT go to college. I"m not saying all do, but some do, some don't.

Argh...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics