Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
2 questions re: baby names
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 5:16 am
1- Do you think the name Daniel (hebrew) sounds harsh?

2-Is it bad to name a child a name that rhymes with the child directly above them's name?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 5:21 am
amother wrote:
1- Do you think the name Daniel (hebrew) sounds harsh?

No.

Quote:
2-Is it bad to name a child a name that rhymes with the child directly above them's name?

I don't think it comes into play at all - unless it sounds ridiculous together and they are twins. Also, what do you mean by rhyming: Gal and Tal maybe sound a little silly, but Daniel and Gavriel I wouldn't even call rhyming.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 5:28 am
I don't want to give myself away. Tell me which of these combos you think is ok or not. The one we are thinking of is just a takeoff on one of these:

Netanel - Gavriel
Eitan - Yonatan
Amichai - Avichai - Amitai- Avishai
Chaim - Ephraim

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 5:48 am
My personal opinion is only the third combo sounds ridiculous, because they are more than rhyming. The last is slightly iffy, but how often are people going to say 'Chaim and Efraim come here'? The first two sound absolutely fine to me, even to the point that I think calling the same child Netanel Gavriel is not so bad.

justmom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:12 am
What Shalhevet said

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:54 am
We know sibs Noam and Nomi, which sounds teasable.
But also sibs Hilly and Tali, which sounds cute.
Yehuda and Yehonatan, twins - not sure if too cutsie.

I think something like Rachel and Yael sounds coordinating but not copying, but Nava and Chava sounds like a laugh; also Mimmy and Simmy, etc.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:55 am
But if you called them Miriam and Sima there'd be no problem LOL

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 11:57 am
Isramom8 wrote:

Are they the ones w/ another set of twin brothers named Eli and Effy (Eliezer and Ephraim)? If so, we are related to them!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:04 pm
nope

smiley:)

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Are they the ones w/ another set of twin brothers named Eli and Effy (Eliezer and Ephraim)? If so, we are related to them!

Hey, I also knew and Eli and Effi, though they were Elimelech and Ephraim

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:17 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it comes into play at all - unless it sounds ridiculous together and they are twins. Also, what do you mean by rhyming: Gal and Tal maybe sound a little silly, but Daniel and Gavriel I wouldn't even call rhyming.

Hey!! I have that, but Eyal and Tal. I do confuse the two Rolling Eyes LOL .

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:28 pm
shalhevet wrote:
but Daniel and Gavriel I wouldn't even call rhyming.

My uncle's one of seven boys and five of them have names that end in an __iel.

You could also have a nickname for one--like calling one Dani and the other Gavriel if it really bothers you.

The only thing I would not be able to tolerate is a whole family of kids whose names all end in an ____'la.
Like Sarala, Chayala, Devorala, Moishela, Yossela, etc.

toastedbagel

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 8:29 pm
I knew twins Esther and Hadassa, and alot of people thought it was like naming the same name b/c Queen Esther was really Hadassa.
I also knew twins Shneur Zalman and (Sholom?) Dov Ber, sounds diff. or so you think - they were called Shezzy and Berry, so you can coordinate anything...
I think if it's deliberate and continuos for a "theme", it's corny, like:
Mendel, Hendel, Genendel
Chevy, Shevy, Zevi, Devy
Soshie, Shoshi, Oshi
Bina, Dina, Rina, Trina, Nina
or think of that non-Jewish family in the south with 18 kids who's kids all start with J, including Jinger
But two names that happen to rhyme randomly sounds fine.
Hey is this reminding anyone of that kids book, can't remember what it's called, that goes, "First it's Mechy then goes Rechy... Chavi, Avi and Zahavi, then comes me." or something like that? What is it called?

realeez

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 8:36 pm
toastedbagel wrote:

Hey is this reminding anyone of that kids book, can't remember what it's called, that goes, "First it's Mechy then goes Rechy... Chavi, Avi and Zahavi, then comes me." or something like that? What is it called?

It's called Shimmy the Youngest.

I think if it's just 2 kids with rhyming names it's okay but more than that is a bit too much.

imamama

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 3:58 am
I have a Little House on the Prairie book that I read to my 2-year-old, and there's a line that goes "her big sister Mary, her little sister Carrie, and their good old bulldog Jack." I can't read it without rolling my eyes...
BUT--all the combinations you mentioned above are really fine, except for the third.
(I once had a Shabbos meal with 2 other families. One has a son name Avishai, the other had a son named Amitai, and I have a son named Amichai. It was very very confusing.)

toastedbagel

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 5:22 am
gosh, I would have thought Little House on the Prarie was a bit advanced for a 2 year old, but I guess your's is ahead of the game...
It depends how you pronounce Mary - some say it like marry, and therfor it rhymes with carrie, others say it more like mare-ee, like "Mary Mary quite contrary"

amother

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 5:26 am
I would totally name kids with rhyming names, as long as its not EVERYONE.

My sister and I are named Kalanit and Ronit, and everyone always thought my little sister would be named "Yonit" or "Margalit" or something similar... It never bothered me that me and my next in line sister had rhyming names.

I would give kids names that all end "El" because I find names with shem hashem in it are most meaningful.

imamama

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 10:11 am
Quote:
gosh, I would have thought Little House on the Prarie was a bit advanced for a 2 year old, but I guess your's is ahead of the game...

no, its like a 15 pg book about Laura's birthday.
but he is pretty precocious. Smile

(sorry this is off topic.)

Atali

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
I would totally name kids with rhyming names, as long as its not EVERYONE.

My sister and I are named Kalanit and Ronit, and everyone always thought my little sister would be named "Yonit" or "Margalit" or something similar... It never bothered me that me and my next in line sister had rhyming names.

I would give kids names that all end "El" because I find names with shem hashem in it are most meaningful.

I knew a family that had four girls whose names all began with "D". When they had their fifth child, a boy, everyone was expecting him to be named Daniel or Dovid, but his name was...

Yaakov

Atali

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 10:55 am
I actually like similar-sounding names. I think it sounds nice, as long as it isn't excessive. Two of my kids are Shneur and Shaina, but that was not done intentionally.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names